Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you leaving Ireland because of the Housing Crisis?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Shocking racism displayed by the OP here. Totally, totally unacceptable.

He did once advocate for the setting up of a right wing political party, and it's not the first time he's expressed these views on immigration, so it's to be expected that he has ulterior motives.

I suspect he won't be emigrating. The thread is just a Trojan horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Divelment wrote: »
    IT IS NOT RACIST TO SAY THAT YOUR COUNTRY SHOULD HAVE SERIOUS PLANNING IN PLACE IF IT IS HUGELY INCREASING THE POPULATION WITHIN A SHORT SPACE OF TIME!!! HOW IS THAT RACIST?!?!?!?!?

The population mainly increased rapidly due to the creation of jobs in the recent years. Many multinationals have bases in Dublin and are constantly looking for multilingual work force, preferably young and flexible.
    The biggest "minority" in Ireland are by the way the Polish. Hardly the asylum seekers in Sandymount.

OP, chill out, grab a cup of tea and stop molesting the Captain Caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

LirW wrote: »
    "I'm not racist but the "asylum seekers" in Sandymount get everything handed for free!!!!!!11"

Well, good luck in Edinburgh to the OP really, I genuinely hope he finds what he's looking for there. May he never be in the situation that he needs help from the welfare net in Scotland which would made him exactly what he obviously despises so much.

I have no problem with us helping asylum seekers and opening our borders to non nationals from non EU countries, if it is done in a properly planned way and where the consequence of us helping them and inviting them here does not result in the wholesale upending of our housing stock, healthcare system, education system, and transport system.

The policy that we have allowed this government to follow, which has been to invite anyone here from anywhere and then "ah sure we'll work it out after they get here", that policy has been a complete and total failure and the fact that we have such a severe housing crisis, healthcare crisis, transport crisis and education crisis, is the most stark evidence of that policy failure that you will ever find. You are refusing to look at what is straight in front of your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

The guy that was recently elected mayor of limerick was lambasted for saying limerick city wouldnt have a social housing crisis only for the fact that non nationals were milking the system. I doubt dublin is any different

A major factor in companies relocating out of london n not picking dublin is the lack of accommodation n sky high rents.
    Not attracting highly paid professionals and housing + paying dole to other countries bums indefinitely is the way to future prosperity apparently! Who knows as they spread the word back home we might get even more?!!

"I'm not racist but the "asylum seekers" in Sandymount get everything handed for free!!!!!!11"

Well, good luck in Edinburgh to the OP really, I genuinely hope he finds what he's looking for there. May he never be in the situation that he needs help from the welfare net in Scotland which would made him exactly what he obviously despises so much.

I didn't once say they "get handed everything for free". Please quote me properly if you are going to bother your arse quoting me at all. What I said was that the is a block set aside for asylum seekers in Sandyford Beacon South Quarter. The adjoining block is seeking rent of 2,000 Euro a month for a 2 bed apartment which many people working in the area would find completely unaffordable, yet we put asylum seekers who we do not allow to work, in the building next door. This is simply unacceptable to me as a citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Surely he can't be thinking of Edinburgh, they have a housing crisis over there too. They are not ready for his arrival.
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/private-renters-and-young-worst-hit-by-housing-crisis-1-4524092

enricoh wrote: »
    The guy that was recently elected mayor of limerick was lambasted for saying limerick city wouldnt have a social housing crisis only for the fact that non nationals were milking the system. I doubt dublin is any different

A major factor in companies relocating out of london n not picking dublin is the lack of accommodation n sky high rents.
    Not attracting highly paid professionals and housing + paying dole to other countries bums indefinitely is the way to future prosperity apparently! Who knows as they spread the word back home we might get even more?!!

The majority of applicants on the Fingal local authority housing list at one stage not that long ago were non-EU nationals. But let's keep on codding ourselves that this has absolutely nothing to do with this housing crisis.

Source: http://www.herald.ie/news/over-half-on-housing-list-are-foreign-27973856.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,969 ✭✭✭✭listermint

enricoh wrote: »

Being elected a mayor doesn't make someone any less of a f***, *g edgit.

The majority of applicants on the Fingal local authority housing list at one stage not that long ago were non-EU nationals. But let's keep on codding ourselves that this has absolutely nothing to do with this housing crisis.

Source: http://www.herald.ie/news/over-half-on-housing-list-are-foreign-27973856.html

It doesnt.

We had a credit crash.

You are clueless. Stop blaming immigrants and start looking for actual causes.

Jesus will you read a book or five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

listermint wrote: »
    Being elected a mayor doesn't make someone any less of a f***, *g edgit.

Based on the last few Dublin ones, it's a requirement.

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    Surely he can't be thinking of Edinburgh, they have a housing crisis over there too. They are not ready for his arrival.
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/private-renters-and-young-worst-hit-by-housing-crisis-1-4524092

They are building everywhere though and there is plenty of availability outside the city itself. What is happening here in Dublin is different altogether, even in the suburbs there is no availability, not the case in Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Is it not ironic that your giving out about foreigners and now your off to another country for a better life taking a place and pushing up prices for the locals there ??

He's not giving out about foreigners he's clearly giving out about poor infrastructure.

They are building everywhere though and there is plenty of availability outside the city itself. What is happening here in Dublin is different altogether, even in the suburbs there is no availability, not the case in Edinburgh.

Enjoy it, ive found its a smaller city not any less expensive than Dublin. I've a very good friend who moved there and owns a house.

Different make up to Dublin doesn't have a tech or financial hub so attracts different rents.

I suppose you could say it's a totally different place..

marcus001 wrote: »
    He's not giving out about foreigners he's clearly giving out about poor infrastructure.

He's not. Read the posts and the history...

listermint wrote: »
    It doesnt.

We had a credit crash.

You are clueless. Stop blaming immigrants and start looking for actual causes.

Jesus will you read a book or five.

I simply said that inviting people here without having a housing plan for them and a plan to grow your infrastructure in areas like health, transport, education, etc, is shockingly poor policy and has substantially contributed to the size and scale of the problem.

Many other countries have now started working out this very simple relationship between demand and supply that needs to be much better managed now to keep their societies intact, simple stuff that you really seem to be struggling with tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MOD: Okay that's enough for this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement