Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cannonball

• 08-09-2017 5:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

anyone any idea how long they'll be in limerick for this evening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Arriving now. Passed me on the N20. Some very late leaving.

Nice motors in it! Gardai all over the road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Berty wrote: »
    Arriving now. Passed me on the N20. Some very late leaving.

Nice motors in it! Gardai all over the road.

do they stay in Perry square long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

angeldaisy wrote: »
    do they stay in Perry square long?

Sorry late replying. They stay all night but you're only allowed see them till 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

They're making a **** load of noise anyway. Residents weren't consulted about this. Poor form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

testicles wrote: »

It's seriously loud. There's loads of engines screaming at high revs, sirens going off, etc. Would you tolerate that after 8pm where you live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

zulutango wrote: »
    It's seriously loud. There's loads of engines screaming at high revs, sirens going off, etc. Would you tolerate that after 8pm where you live?

They were beside my apartment last night. A bit of revving and that is all. It was very civil and ended on time. Nothing to worry about...you'll get your beauty sleep.

As for tolorating it. No problem once it's silence by 11pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

They're making a **** load of noise anyway. Residents weren't consulted about this. Poor form.

Jesus wept. Give it a rest with your anti-car sh!te. It's just the one evening. They are all staying out in the Radisson so should be gone very shortly.
    There are thousands of people living beside certain roads in this Country who have to put up with Boy-Racers doing Doughnuts,etc at 2 am every weekend. Maybe you could start a crusade to alleviate their suffering.

edit: taken from the Rules of the Road,
    1 - You cannot sound an audible warning device between 11.30pm and 7am in a 60kmph or less zone.

2 - It is an offence to sound your audible warning device while your vehicle is not in motion, unless you are doing so for safety (telling someone hurry up is not safety related) or it is an alarm fitted to prevent theft.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It's just the one evening. They are all staying out in the Radisson so should be gone very shortly.
    There are thousands of people living beside certain roads in this Country who have to put up with Boy-Racers doing Doughnuts,etc at 2 am every weekend. Maybe you could start a crusade to alleviate their suffering.

It's only right and proper that there'd be some notice or consulation with residents. How can anyone think otherwise? It's not in the slightest an unreasonable request.

As for your straw man argument, just because people who live rurally have to live with boy racers doesn't mean it's right. Why should rural communities have to put up with it either? There was a well publicised public meeting in Kerry recently which was the beginnings of a campaign to stamp it out. By the way, that's a somewhat different issue. I am not equating boy racers to this. This was an organised event in the city centre and there should be some sensititivity to the residents. Thankfully now these cars are gone.

• Advertisement

It's only right and proper that there'd be some notice or consulation with residents. How can anyone think otherwise?

It's a Public Road. As long as no Laws are broken there is no problem.
    If any Laws are broken then it's up to the good folk in an garda siochana to deal with it ;).

edit: BTW, just in case it slipped your attention. There are very few Events like this that actually come to Limerick. Although it won't bring the €50 million that everything else seems to promise it will bring some income to to the City. It's refreshing to see an event such as this to opt for Limerick as an overnight Halt.

It's a Public Road. As long as no Laws are broken there is no problem.
    If any Laws are broken then it's up to the good folk in an garda siochana to deal with it ;).

Nobody is saying laws were broken, but consideration of residents is important.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's only right and proper that there'd be some notice or consulation with residents. How can anyone think otherwise? It's not in the slightest an unreasonable request.

The council gave notice of the road closures and it was in the local papers in early August. Thats about all the notice you need. They can make as much noise as the want until 11pm.

It's also a charity event in aid of the Make a Wish Foundation, so as far as I'm concerned they can make as much noise as they want.

The council gave notice of the road closures and it was in the local papers in early August. Thats about all the notice you need. They can make as much noise as the want until 11pm.

That's not a very smart approach, and that's why residents are usually informed when this kind of thing is planned. It's foolish on the organisers part and the Council's too not to take resident's views into consideration. The legality of them making noise is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jesus wept. Give it a rest with your anti-car sh!te. It's just the one evening. They are all staying out in the Radisson so should be gone very shortly.

edit: taken from the Rules of the Road,
    1 - You cannot sound an audible warning device between 11.30pm and 7am in a 60kmph or less zone.

2 - It is an offence to sound your audible warning device while your vehicle is not in motion, unless you are doing so for safety (telling someone hurry up is not safety related) or it is an alarm fitted to prevent theft.

Are they moving? The bit you didn't highlight would imply that they are commiting an offence. And sirens are illegal except for the emergency services

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/190/made/en/print

Not anti car, just any moron in a car regardless of what it cost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's not a very smart approach, and that's why residents are usually informed when this kind of thing is planned. It's foolish on the organisers part and the Council's too not to take resident's views into consideration. The legality of them making noise is neither here nor there.

It was a Friday evening road closure for an event that lasted a few hours in aid of a good cause. It's not like they were closing it for days or weeks. Jesus man get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I went in with my buddy. Huge crowds there, Shannon ices missed a trick not having a van there tonight or someone with a chip van. They would have cleaned up.

And Zulutango you're the very one who gives out left, right and centre about people not using the city centre after 6pm and that it is a ghost town at night which should be utilised more and when a family friendly event literally rolls into town you still give out. Get a grip. By the way I walked in too, no car clogging up the streets from the suburbs you'll be delighted to know.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are they moving? The bit you didn't highlight would imply that they are commiting an offence. And sirens are illegal except for the emergency services

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/190/made/en/print

Not anti car, just any moron in a car regardless of what it cost.

I have no idea if they are/were moving or not. There are plenty of Guards there who are more than capable of deciding the legality of their actions.
    Just because I didn't highlight section 2 is irrelevant. I was aiming more for the Time of Day mentioned in section 1

And Zulutango you're the very one who gives out left, right and centre about people not using the city centre after 6pm and that it is a ghost town at night which should be utilised more and when a family friendly event literally rolls into town you still give out.

Firstly, no I don't. Feel free to give examples. You won't find any. Secondly, what's family friendly about screaming car engines outside while kids are trying to sleep? Also, some of these drivers were speeding on the street when they got a chance and were quite dangerous. What's family friendly about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Firstly, no I don't. Feel free to give examples. You won't find any. Secondly, what's family friendly about screaming car engines outside while kids are trying to sleep? Also, some of these drivers were speeding on the street when they got a chance and were quite dangerous. What's family friendly about that?

I'm not going to trawl through your posts to find any tbh. Maybe you have, maybe you haven't but I will stand by my post that the majority or your posts follow a "car dependent suburbs bad, public transport city centre good" mantra and when the city centre is utilised you're still not happy.

What's family friendly about the cars making noise...? hmm how about the kids running around with their parents delighted to see "optimus prime" or the little boy dressed up in his toyota ae86 twincam cap and ford rally jacket having his year made because of the cars he can only dream of are parked in his town and he gets to hear them rev their engines. I know at that age I would have been ecstatic to be brought in to something like that. If say most of the people there were families with young children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Also, some of these drivers were speeding on the street when they got a chance and were quite dangerous.

If you have a speed gun or speed camera you must be a guard or a gatso van operator. You should also know the procedure for fining and administrating penalty points.

I'm not going to trawl through your posts to find any tbh. Maybe you have, maybe you haven't but I will stand by my post that the majority or your posts follow a "car dependent suburbs bad, public transport city centre good" mantra and when the city centre is utilised you're still not happy.

So, I post a lot about how urban sprawl and bad planning is detrimental to the prospects of the city (and indeed the entire region). That's true. And some of the effects of such bad planning is urban sprawl, car dependency (btw cars aren't a bad thing - they're great in many ways - but car dependency is very bad for a city and its people), the dereliction of large parts of the city centre. And a lack of vitality after 6pm is indeed one symptom of that. But it's ridiculous to infer that I'm being inconsistent because of those points and the fact that I'm no fan of the event last night. If you think that then either I'm not articulating myself well enough or you're not getting my points, or both. And, in any case, my main point here is that residents weren't notified or consulted, unless you count the notice posted two days ago on the Council website which is way short of normal practice. Anyway, we survived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

"Would ya feck off, ya shmelly gee bag"

Jokes a side. Are you for real? There were tons of excited kids in the event. My 8 year old had one of the best days ever as she finally sow and heard lambos, which are her dream cars.
    Suck it up for one evening. Its great event, good cause and it was very well organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Victor Meldrew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I really cannot believe there are a few people giving out about this. I was at this yesterday evening and it was a great event imo. Yes there was noise, powerful cars make noise and I bet a street concert would make as much if not more noise but I bet it wouldn't draw the same complaint.

At the end of the day the noise from these exotic machines is part and parcel of the entertainment which the large crowd including families loved. It's not everyday you see cars like this so it was a nice treat and it's not as if it was during unsociable hours. And a big plus is that the event was run as a part of a good cause ~ Make a Wish Foundation.

I welcome them back next year again anyway.

kilburn wrote:
    Victor Meldrew

guilty as charged :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Seriously, get a hobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

Zulatango get you're sorry you got involved in this forum. Something good comes to limerick and you complain . Went to car show at racecourse earlier in summer , cannonball is much better than any car show

Advertisement