Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP

Options
  • 08-09-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Friend has a long term boyfriend, both in their 60's. He suffers from chronic depression and attends GA for a gambling addiction. Currently he is on disability allowance. Recently his home was repossessed. He now qualifies for social housing and the HAP scheme. However he has no hope of securing accommodation. He will be homeless shortly, my friend is considering letting him move in. In this situation would he qualify for HAP assistance to pay rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

As I understand it, HAP can only be provided for tenancies. Living with the landlord doesn't count as a tenancy.

I wouldn't advise it anyway as the requirements to meet for HAP on the landlord's side are very onerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

You cannot pay Housing Assistance Payment to your partner, and I would not recommend letting a partner move in without it being on the cards anyway, homeless crisis or none.
    There are a plethora of housing charities and associations out there that are in the business of helping individuals with issues who find themselves homeless. He should ring Threshold/ Focus/ Peter McVerry, etc and they can advise him what help is available. Tbh, it sounds like a lot to put on your friend.

Advertisement