Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Chipper' food

• 08-09-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Do you like food from the chip shop.
    I rarely go to the chip shop
    I got some ray (fish) for dinner
    Given its quality I was convinced why I don't go to the chipper much

It was horrible
    It was the size of a shoe but was mostly inedible

Do you like chipper food

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

imme wrote: »

It was horrible

Do you like chipper food

Has to be Burdock's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I Love a battered sausage me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Yeah. Mostly after a few pints of Guinness. I get a fish 'n' chip with garlic dip, or else maybe a gravy, peas & chip, with a half pounder. Good scram!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

imme wrote: »

It was horrible

Do you like chipper food

should have got the cod :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Chips!

Loads of salt and vinegar please.

Stick your finger tip into the corner at the end of the bag and get the last crispy vinegar soaked chip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Chips!

Loads of salt and vinegar please.

Stick your finger tip into the corner at the end of the bag and get the last crispy vinegar soaked chip.

Proper malt vinegar, that stains the chips.

Away with the distilled and watered down nonsense, that just washes the salt of the chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Preempting the Corkonians by mentioning KCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Local Turkish chipper cooks everything in veg oil as opposed to lard. Chips are pretty crispy and dry, like you'd make them at home. The bag isnt soaked in grease. Generally not nearly as stodgy as the fare at your typical chipper.

This is all stuff I reiterate to myself when I'm chowing down on a dirty quarter pounder n' chip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Fast Al's Pepperoni Pizza Slice (or 3) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Why do you say "chip"? Like "garlic cheese and chip" or "fish and chip"? Its chipS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i worked in a chipper and someone said "give me an XXX and chip" id give them one f*ckin chip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

KC's is the job.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why do you say "chip"? Like "garlic cheese and chip" or "fish and chip"? Its chipS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i worked in a chipper and someone said "give me an XXX and chip" id give them one f*ckin chip!

Because chips are always congregating in a large group. They aren't solitary. Like sheep. You never heard anyone say; "Look at all the sheeps in that field there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

These threads always make me hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bluewizard

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I like eddie rockets but am not a fan of fast food generally. Too much salt; no substance. That said, our local Turks and Paki's do excellent chips but i don't eat their chicken or burgers. I'd marry their kebabs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Agricola wrote: »
    Because chips are always congregating in a large group. They aren't solitary. Like sheep. You never heard anyone say; "Look at all the sheeps in that field there"

The plural of a sheep is sheep. The plural of a chip is chips.:confused:

I really think its the inner itinerant in people dying to get out when i hear them describe chips as chip :P gimme a few chip der boss with some red sauuuuuuuce hoi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lennox Cork superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Chipper wouldn't be my first choice if I was getting a takeaway, I usually lean towards pizza, grilled chicken burger with onion rings (which essentially is chipper okay but the place near me is way too good to just be that)

Anyways, I do love a nice taco chip. The works, mince, pepper, mushroom etc.

Or a bag of chips with salt and vinegar, with ketchup does me nicely!

gone mad for fresh onion rings though. Don't know what restaurants etc that have onion rings on their menu are doing with their pre packed- frozen ones, doesn't exactly take that long to throw together some flour and water and deep fry em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What chippers still use lard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

My usual is a chicken burger and 2 battered sausages, no chips. I get them from one particular chipper. The other 2 chippers near me don't do the battered sausages right.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

Doner Kebab tray with loads of lettuce onions and mayo from the local :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

a couple of deep fried spice burgers, you can just feel your cholesterol going up.....mmmm,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Like it a bit too much to be honest!

I love a good burger, you often find the best burgers hidden away in greasy spoons in little villages/towns.

I usually only go for the burger but most of these places will throw in a nice shake of chips to go with it, all drownded in salt and vinegar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Man I love a good kebab..
    Mounds of spicey doner meat, lettuce, onion, garlic sauce, chilli sauce, all wrapped up in a garlic naan... Pack that into ya... Then shyte it out the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Doner Kebab tray with loads of lettuce onions and mayo from the local :)

You mean garlic mayo.... Jaysus get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Not mad on chipper food but last time I was back in Blighty I had rock n chips - 'twas amazing and everything I hoped it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I do. They're very tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

What chippers still use lard?
    Don't think many of the chippers use animal fat these days. Various vegetable oils.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    The plural of a sheep is sheep. The plural of a chip is chips.:confused:

I really think its the inner itinerant in people dying to get out when i hear them describe chips as chip :P gimme a few chip der boss with some red sauuuuuuuce hoi!

Itinerant?

I think you have a large chip on your shoulder boi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Chipper wouldn't be my first choice if I was getting a takeaway, I usually lean towards pizza, grilled chicken burger with onion rings (which essentially is chipper okay but the place near me is way too good to just be that)

Anyways, I do love a nice taco chip. .

If you keep eating like that , you'll lean too far one day and fall over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I used to like the odd visit to the chipper. They've gone to hell though. The food costs the same as it did 15 years ago, but the quality has taken a nose dive. The vast vast majority of them are buying the same shíte off the same supplier. Lads raving about one chipper being better than the other are talking through their hat.

Places like Bunsen, Super Miss Sue etc have replaced them as the place to go for a treat. Even Supermacs is better than your local 'Italian' chipper these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kebabish in Enniscorthy do a kebab that you could use as a baseball bat and its yum.
    For a small enough town we have far too many takeaways though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Patww79 wrote: »

Ya, but the food in that chipper is shíte. They are all competing on price with the local chinese serving complete shíte as well. Everything is deep frozen. There's almost nowhere cutting their own chips these days, or battering fresh fish before it goes into the fryer. Unless you go to somewhere like Bunsen or Super Miss Sue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Agricola wrote: »
    Local Turkish chipper....

Yeah, no, that's a Kebab shop.

No Italians, no chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

YJuOA.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

My dinner tonight in the pic.

To be fair, the English do proper fish and chips, not like the weird frozen squares we get in Ireland (unless you're near a Burdocks, McDonaghs etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Ya, but the food in that chipper is shíte. They are all competing on price with the local chinese serving complete shíte as well. Everything is deep frozen. There's almost nowhere cutting their own chips these days, or battering fresh fish before it goes into the fryer. Unless you go to somewhere like Bunsen or Super Miss Sue.

I haven't eat in chippers much in Dublin lately, but a mate lived near Stillorgan, and the chipper around the corner from him had damn tasty proper chips.

There's four that I'd know of (1 in my home town, 2 in the nearest large town, and 1 in the town I live in now) that cut fresh chips, batter fish, batter sausages blah blah blah.

G'way with your poncy Bunsen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

About once a fortnight for me. Usually a snackbox and cheeseburger, or chips curry and a Quarter pounder.
    Was in McDonald's last Saturday for the first time in a long time. Had to make 3 trips to the counter. Large big mac meal, then 2 double cheeseburgers and twisty fries, then a caramel Sundae. I'm convinced there's something in the food that tells your brain you're still hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

cashback wrote: »

To be fair, the English do proper fish and chips, not like the weird frozen squares we get in Ireland (unless you're near a Burdocks, McDonaghs etc).

One of my local chippers does an offer on Wednesday's. €5.50 for a sea fresh cod and chips.A proper lump of a fish and loads of chips.You'd nearly feed 2 people with it.I don't know how anybody could eat those square fish yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Every Friday, I have a cheeseburger and chips at Supermacs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

What's that green rubbish and why is it all over the chips..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ravenacious now. Thick chips with salt-n-vinegar, slab of white fish in batter. Onion ring.
    Best food in the world for a cold walk home if you've missed the last bus. And no washing-up!
    Our street food: perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

limnam wrote: »
    What's that green rubbish and why is it all over the chips..

Don't mind the mushy peas but don't understand having tea with it. A can of coke / orange is my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Don't mind the mushy peas but don't understand having tea with it. A can of coke / orange is my preference.

If I'm calling in a few slices of today's bread today with the 1 and 1, I'd normally have a cuppa tae, otherwise yea can o coke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

If you order a fresh cod in any chipper you'll get fish like that. You just don't know how to order food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement