Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Chipper' food

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I laughed so hard reading that I almost dropped my bag of chip!!

As for the oil, I got chips fried in beef dripping recently, I would eat it of a tramps sandle it's that good!!

Also, forget regular salt, chicken salt is where it's at!!
    Agricola wrote: »
    Because chips are always congregating in a large group. They aren't solitary. Like sheep. You never heard anyone say; "Look at all the sheeps in that field there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Yeah, no, that's a Kebab shop.

No Italians, no chipper

Ok yes, if we must be pedantic. But said Kebab shop has a full chipper menu, it's not just kebabs.

Also out in the sticks, we don't have that many Ithaca Italian chippers unless you head to the big cities, like Kilkenny........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've yet to find a decent chipper in the North.

They just can't do chips right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I've yet to find a decent chipper in the North.

They just can't do chips right.

Take it to the politics forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

What chippers still use lard?
    All of them use beef dripping (lard)

Some will get drums of oil aswell but they mainly use lard.

*Source = Work for wholesale supplier for Takeaways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

imme wrote: »
    Do you like food from the chip shop.
    Do you like chipper food
    Yes
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Proper chipper onion rings in batter with salt 'n' vinegar!!

You can stick your crispy breaded and frozen American style "onion rings" up yer eh ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

I'd go every so often for a kebab , or snack box or just a ****load of everything on the menu if I've had a feast of pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I used to work in a chipper when I was 16 and it turned me off chips so I'd rarely order them. (No malpractice, just ate too many).

Burger or kebab from me as long as the meat is of decent quality and not soon spoongy type crap so chippers do sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I used to work in a chipper when I was 16 and it turned me off chips so I'd rarely order them. (No malpractice, just ate too many).

Burger or kebab from me as long as the meat is of decent quality and not soon spoongy type crap so chippers do sell.

Iskanders ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

limnam, those mushy peas were first put in to make a dinner box in Lennox's Cork AFAIK.
    Maybe they brought that across from Leeds.
    I'd say very few of you are actually getting cod, when you order fish n' chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

Chips...with a sliced pan and real butter....can't beat a chip sandwich....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

imme wrote:
    Do you like chipper food

Absolutely love chipper food. Has to be a quality chipper obviously. Love Raymond and chips.
    If I were to be executed tomorrow and granted a last meal I go meeting my maker with a belly full of chip butties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What chippers still use lard?

I thought most do. Lard being healthier than oil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

A good battered snickers goes well with a taco cheese garlic chips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I like a battered sausage, providing the batter conceals the outside of the sausage, which nearly always looks whiter than Niall Horan and often puts me off completely. Sometimes there's a tear in the batter which reveals the true colour of your sausage and it's just grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why do you say "chip"? Like "garlic cheese and chip" or "fish and chip"? Its chipS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i worked in a chipper and someone said "give me an XXX and chip" id give them one f*ckin chip!

when i was a kid id always see my mom order chip singular and i used to get so worried and tell her to change it and say chipS instead incase the chipper only gaves us one little chip inside our bag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Patww79 wrote: »

I realise this. I'm talking about the outside of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I haven't eat in chippers much in Dublin lately, but a mate lived near Stillorgan, and the chipper around the corner from him had damn tasty proper chips.

Macari's I believe. Good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's almost nowhere cutting their own chips these days, or battering fresh fish before it goes into the fryer. Unless you go to somewhere like Bunsen or Super Miss Sue.
    G'way with your poncy Bunsen.

You're not looking in the right places Rumpy.

That fish is caught in the morning off the south coast of Cork and dipped in batter in front of you a few hours later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The only time I'll eat a takeaway is after a night out. 2 burgers from the chip van after a good few gallons of stout and you're winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Oh man....

Fish and vinegar drowned bag of chips....

Battered sausage....

Half pounder overflowing with veg....

...and yes..that's one meal for my fatass.

Chips from a chipper are one of the nicest foods in the world in my opinion. With Heinz ketchup. Add in a battered fresh cod or some chicken tenders and you've got yourself some delicious slop!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

And on a road to obesity, no wonder the health service is at a strain with everyone eating fatty foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A good battered snickers goes well with a taco cheese garlic chips

Goes well with a dose of heartburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Yeah. Mostly after a few pints of Guinness. I get a fish 'n' chip with garlic dip, or else maybe a gravy, peas & chip, with a half pounder. Good scram!

Scran.

Karangue wrote: »
    And on a road to obesity, no wonder the health service is at a strain with everyone eating fatty foods.

I'd take 2000s obesity epidemic over 2010s vain-douchebag-Instagram-user epidemic. Way fewer obese people now than a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Burial. wrote: »
    KC's is the job.

One night many moons ago. It was just before xmas and I had been working in a bar in town. We got finished early enough,2am or so and I got a taxi back home (I was living up Maryborough Hill at the time) As we were passing through Douglas I saw the lights on in KC's so I told the taxi driver to leave me off there. Alas just as I approached, the door was closed and locked.

I knocked on the glass and explained that I had just finished work and was there any chance of a few chips? There was a flurry of activity inside and I saw them scoop everything they had already cooked into a big bag, then the door opened and they handed it to me and wouldn't take any money.

I walked up that hill eating the biggest bag of chips, burgers and potato cakes and then it started to snow. Merry xmas everyone and God bless you KC's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Ya, but the food in that chipper is shíte. They are all competing on price with the local chinese serving complete shíte as well. Everything is deep frozen. There's almost nowhere cutting their own chips these days, or battering fresh fish before it goes into the fryer. Unless you go to somewhere like Bunsen or Super Miss Sue.
    Don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Very few order in pre cut chips. Generally indian/chinese takeaways or restaurants. We deliver to over 200 takeaways and aside from the above mentioned they all cut their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Curry cheese chips in Blue Thunder Claremorris.
    Ye cannay bate it I tells ya

Goes well with a dose of heartburn.

I wouldn't know.

Panthro wrote: »
    Curry cheese chips in Blue Thunder Claremorris.
    Ye cannay bate it I tells ya

I'd say you'd have a case of brown thunder after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

It's she.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Popped into Beshoff's beside Baggot St bridge yesterday & had the best chips I've tasted in years - all crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside & not a hint of grease about them.

My only previous experience of Beshoff's was manky chips in a manky shop on Westmoreland St. in the mid-90s, but those I had yesterday were phenomenally good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Popped into Beshoff's beside Baggot St bridge yesterday & had the best chips I've tasted in years - all crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside & not a hint of grease about them.

My only previous experience of Beshoff's was manky chips in a manky shop on Westmoreland St. in the mid-90s, but those I had yesterday were phenomenally good.

There's still a beshoffs on O'Connell Street Dublin

The one you speak of looks to be under the brand beshoff bros, as are shops in howth and clontarf etc

I remember the one in O'Connell Street used to sell you bread and butter,to have with your chips and fish

They'd have 2 slices of bread with little pats of butter and cling film wrapped around them, a sort of personal touch!

I must try them all out, again

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I was over in the music forum and I heard people talking about chips. There’s something about chips from the aul chipper, with the right mix of vinegar.... Christ nothing like it. I have to have garlic mayo obviously.
    Hungry now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly, I don't think you can beat a battered sausage, chips and and curry sauce for dipping.

Maybe with a tin of Lilt if you're feeling fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Had half a meat-feast pizza, a cheeseburger and garlic chips from the local chipper last week. Man they were good, didn't lose the bloated feeling until 10pm the following night! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

limnam wrote: »
    Iskanders ftw
    Absolute rip off muck. Overhyped

Advertisement