Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calories in breaded chicken fillets at a Deli

• 08-09-2017 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Does anyone know how many calories are in those spicy and non-spicy breaded chicken fillets that you'd get at a deli in the likes of Centra?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

macgrub wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many calories are in those spicy and non-spicy breaded chicken fillets that you'd get at a deli in the likes of Centra?

Calories would be the least of my worries have ya seen all the additives in them??

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Calories would be the least of my worries have ya seen all the additives in them??

Nope. I know nothing about their nutrition value; it's hard to come by. And not being smart, that's why I asked about the calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Nope. I know nothing about their nutrition value; it's hard to come by. And not being smart, that's why I asked about the calories.

Haven't eaten one since I seen this show on RTE

https://youtu.be/xa9zJiV8m9U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

In order to get some sort of a very rough idea of what the calories/nutritional info might be, you could have a look at Tesco's breaded chicken breast fillets. There is two in a pack and they look roughly the same size as one you would get from a deli.

A typical fillet (at 161g with 64% chicken) contains 334 kcal, 11.8g fat, 24.6g carbohydrates, and 31.7g protein.

Now, the chicken fillet in the deli might not be made with chicken breast (as seen in the linked Philip Boucher-Hayes video). Instead, it might have fattier more calorific dense chicken. But there also may be less chicken meat in the deli fillet compared to the aforementioned Tesco version.

If you were eating the deli versions regularly, and you were only concerned about calorie counting (say for weight-loss purposes) and not about the quality of the food (which you should be), then 400 kcal wouldn't be a bad conservative guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

• Advertisement

In order to get some sort of a very rough idea of what the calories/nutritional info might be, you could have a look at Tesco's breaded chicken breast fillets. There is two in a pack and they look roughly the same size as one you would get from a deli.

A typical fillet (at 161g with 64% chicken) contains 334 kcal, 11.8g fat, 24.6g carbohydrates, and 31.7g protein.

Now, the chicken fillet in the deli might not be made with chicken breast (as seen in the linked Philip Boucher-Hayes video). Instead, it might have fattier more calorific dense chicken. But there also may be less chicken meat in the deli fillet compared to the aforementioned Tesco version.

If you were eating the deli versions regularly, and you were only concerned about calorie counting (say for weight-loss purposes) and not about the quality of the food (which you should be), then 400 kcal wouldn't be a bad conservative guess.

My own estimate was 350kcal so your figure makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

If your asking because you eat them a lot and want to continue doing so guilt free just Swop breaded chicken for plain chicken.

Typically breaded chicken is a breast rolled in flour egg and breadcrumbs, deep fried to hold the shape and quickly frozen in the factory. The purchaser would reheat in oven till cooked, then sell to you. That's cooked twice by two different people and that's before we get into how the chicken breast was processed to that stage :)

Also the cheaper fillets are made by mixing bits of chicken together formed to a breast shape a fried etc.

Subzero3 wrote: »
    If your asking because you eat them a lot and want to continue doing so guilt free just Swop breaded chicken for plain chicken.

Typically breaded chicken is a breast rolled in flour egg and breadcrumbs, deep fried to hold the shape and quickly frozen in the factory. The purchaser would reheat in oven till cooked, then sell to you. That's cooked twice by two different people and that's before we get into how the chicken breast was processed to that stage :)

Also the cheaper fillets are made by mixing bits of chicken together formed to a breast shape a fried etc.

I ate it two days last week for the first time in about a year. I normally tend to avoid but I didn't have much choice in the area. I'm not a fanatic calorie counter but I do like to keep tabs. And after eating the chicken, I realised how difficult I found it to get such details (since there is no available packaging).

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

I ate it two days last week for the first time in about a year. I normally tend to avoid but I didn't have much choice in the area. I'm not a fanatic calorie counter but I do like to keep tabs. And after eating the chicken, I realised how difficult I found it to get such details (since there is no available packaging).

White roll = flour, starch = high calories.
    Breadcrumb = flour, breadcrumb, oil = high cal.
    Butter or mayo = fat= high cal
    If you add egg mayo or tuna salad etc you get the same.
    If you asked the service manager they would find out and get back to you. They would usually be on the original packaging.

Subzero3 wrote: »
    White roll = flour, starch = high calories.
    Breadcrumb = flour, breadcrumb, oil = high cal.
    Butter or mayo = fat= high cal
    If you add egg mayo or tuna salad etc you get the same.
    If you asked the service manager they would find out and get back to you. They would usually be on the original packaging.

The lady behind the deli was flat out at that stage. I'd say the last thing she would've needed that day was myself asking her to go out back for my numbers. :)
    The 350-400kcal estimate will do just fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The lady behind the deli was flat out at that stage. I'd say the last thing she would've needed that day was myself asking her to go out back for my numbers. :)
    The 350-400kcal estimate will do just fine :)

Tbh, that seems low to me. The roll alone is 240kcal. Methinks a breaded, flash-fried (in the factory) chicken fillet is going to add more than 160cals to that. And then you have your butter/mayo/whatnot on top of that.

If we're assuming the Tesco chicken fillet mentioned above is a reasonable facsimile of the deli ones, then you're looking at closer to 600kcal for a chicken fillet roll, even more if you add cheese, have mayo as well as butter, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Tbh, that seems low to me. The roll alone is 240kcal. Methinks a breaded, flash-fried (in the factory) chicken fillet is going to add more than 160cals to that. And then you have your butter/mayo/whatnot on top of that.

If we're assuming the Tesco chicken fillet mentioned above is a reasonable facsimile of the deli ones, then you're looking at closer to 600kcal for a chicken fillet roll, even more if you add cheese, have mayo as well as butter, etc.

The OP was only asking about the chicken fillet itself, not the roll and other toppings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The OP was only asking about the chicken fillet itself, not the roll and other toppings.

So he was, I missed that!

Advertisement