Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variegated Maple tree.

Options
  • 08-09-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Apologies for a fairly basic question......

We have a medium sized tree in our garden that we have recently taken over. We first thought it was dying a slow death with the leaves being lighter at the edges, but now realise that it is a variegated maple.

It hasn't been maintained very well and maybe ~ one-third of the tree has reverted back to normal leaves. I want to gradually try to bring it back to all variegated by removing the reverted parts (by cutting them off).

My question is when is the best time to do this? I think for usual pruning spring time is best, but if I leave it until then there will be no leaves so I won't know what to prune off. If I do just a small bit now will I risk damaging the tree going into winter? We really like the tree so don't want to do it any harm!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a red acer (maple) that is reasonably big and I have sawn branches off it at all sorts of random times to keep it in check and have not done it any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Use string or paint to mark the ones to prune, then wait for leaves to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Lumen wrote: »
    Use string or paint to mark the ones to prune, then wait for leaves to drop.

I'd be more inclined to chop the reverted branches now as long as the leaves haven't started to die back for winter fall already. Acer are generally strong growers and the reverted growth is always going to take away from the variegated branches. Just make sure you leave clean cuts and avoid opportunities for disease getting into the tree. There is always a risk of damaging the tree with pruning but on balance I would think if there are healthy variegated branches left over to provide energy for the tree to get through the winter cutting now would be the way to go. Some times variegation is actually caused by a viral disease in the plant so its very difficult to be certain how it will react.

Advertisement