Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice?

Options
  • 08-09-2017 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi all,

I will be moving soon for work and wont be able to rent due to my salary so I have to share.

One thing that I have noticed about house share ads is that the person who is moving (ie renting their room to you) are the ones who you pay deposit to, but this seems like the easiest way to get scammed. Shouldn't deposits be payed to the landlord only with supply of confirmation??

I am just wondering if this is at all safe and what the recommended procedure is. I.e. best way to pay, how to produce a receipt etc...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yes, technically the landlord should refund the departing tenant and you should pay your deposit to the landlord but practically the paying of the departing tenant by the new tenant is much more common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Yes, technically the landlord should refund the departing tenant and you should pay your deposit to the landlord but practically the paying of the departing tenant by the new tenant is much more common.

Depends.

If the person already there is subletting to you and you are are paying rent to him/her, you are a licensee. If you are dealing direct with the LL and the lease is being reassigned, you are a tenant. Two very different situations, two very different rights so you have to ask who the deposit/rent is being paid directly to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

davo10 wrote: »
    Depends.

If the person already there is subletting to you and you are are paying rent to him/her, you are a licensee. If you are dealing direct with the LL and the lease is being reassigned, you are a tenant. Two very different situations, two very different rights so you have to ask who the deposit/rent is being paid directly to.

This makes sense to me, but as Michael D stated whats happening is that you are becoming the new tenant but the tenant thats moving out expects you to pay them the deposit...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The landlord can't be expected to refund any deposit until he/she has full vacant possession of the property renting.

Advertisement