Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safe Space

• 09-09-2017 7:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Do you agree with "safe spaces" for those easily offended? It's mostly college we are talking about.

My problem with "safe spaces" is that the world might come crashing in when you realise there is no "safe space" for you or your views afterward and you might not be able to cope.

Is it time for a bit of backbone to be injected in to our school leavers and graduates?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't think it's an issue for any but a handful out of the 100k+ Irish school leavers and graduates, and then it's just those who have been over exposed to American bull****. If only people could learn to just ignore that nonsense and stop importing it.

Now yokes, there's a young people issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

There's an app for that

Boards is my safe space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Boards surely needs a safe space forum for the offended by alternate views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

In the interest of balance, if theres a safe space, there should also be a "non-safe place", basically you walk in, someone calls you a snowflake and punches you in the groin. Time should be balanced in both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My safe space was in college.

I was a real leftist at the time, part of of every right on movement and had a Palestine flag on my wall.

Then the money got cut off and I learned very quickly about business and the real world.

I made a decision then, I'm going to work, buy a house, raise a family, drive a nice car.

So I'm a reformed leftist now. I agree with the free market, let the cream rise to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Isn't that what a "mancave" is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Senna wrote: »
    In the interest of balance, if theres a safe space, there should also be a "non-safe place", basically you walk in, someone calls you a snowflake and punches you in the groin. Time should be balanced in both

Yes! +1

Tbh some of the stuff I see on boards is borderline censorship. You can't voice any controversial views for the fear of upsetting anyone. This upsets me, I think I need a safe space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think you are about 12 months late with 'safe space'.

People have moved on from throwing that term round the place at every opportunity. It's all about 'virtue signalling' now.

osarusan wrote: »
    I think you are about 12 months late with 'safe space'.

People have stopped throwing that term round the place at every opportunity. It's all about 'virtue signalling' now.

You are insulting and offending me. STOP invading my safe space.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Who is going to keep Safe Places Safe.....and have they any right to do so.....

Who decides ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

My safe space was in college.

I was a real leftist at the time, part of of every right on movement and had a Palestine flag on my wall.

Then the money got cut off and I learned very quickly about business and the real world.

I made a decision then, I'm going to work, buy a house, raise a family, drive a nice car.

So I'm a reformed leftist now. I agree with the free market, let the cream rise to the top.

This is nice to read. Someone that accepts the natural law of Pareto distribution. Rather than fight tooth and nail against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I thought this was gonna be about rubber jonnies for astronauts and cosmonauts.

Much disappointed am I

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

College students leave the campus sometimes. They have jobs, use public transport some of them even watch tv or use the internet.
    If their college union has a rule about people respecting each other in college they won't be surprised when this doesn't actually happen everywhere else they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

Boards.ie is the biggest safe space on the internet.

I think people getting offended and aggressive at anyone wanting any change are the ones most demanding of their safe spaces sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's far from safe spaces I was reared. Sitting on the haystack maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I definitely don't agree with safe spaces but i'm not too troubled by those who want them. I see such demands for a safe space as a sign of immaturity, self-inflicted mental instability and being divorced from reality. Those people don't bother me as they are basically children or self-conscious teens.

That said, they are the product of our society and we pander to them.

Aren't all spaces "safe spaces" of some sort?
    They all have rules about how people are expected to behave.

Even McDonald's make you at least have trousers on when in there.
    No workplace would allow employees to bully each other.

Why should a university be different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I don't particularly agree with safe spaces. My opinion is just as important as objective reality and you must respect that or I'll cry loudly. My first amendment rights are being impacted by these mean people that don't agree with me. My gut instinct is at least as important as any data or evidence and should be treated to the same respect (but don't you dare hold it with the same level of scrutiny because that impacts my first amendment rights!). It's NOT FAIR that counter-protesters should protest at me!

I do, however, also agree that hey, yes, you are not allowed to be a complete dick to this person just because you're studying in the same university and think that your right to talk sh*t about them is more important than their right to not have sh*t talked about them.

So, yes, everything in moderation. It can go too far in various directions, including the direction of completely misunderstanding what one is talking about - hint, your first amendment rights only apply to Americans since the rest of the world doesn't have the goddam first amendment, and it only applies to the government shutting you down, not people not being allowed to think you're a bloody idiot. It can also go too far in trying to get rid of innocuous terms that causes confusion for very little benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I thought this was gonna be about rubber jonnies for astronauts and cosmonauts.

Much disappointed am I

Very well put, Yoda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The free (for-all) market is a construct, we have no real proof that it actually works, in fact there's mounting evidence that it is highly inefficient at times, and is incapable of providing us all with what we require. I go as far as saying, it's actually accelerating our demise. It's also interesting to know that virtually no free market models, such as dsge models, have ever predicted booms and busts, as these models are seen to be always tending towards equilibrium. id agree with those that say, this is how are economic systems don't work, and that they are in fact highly complex systems that require different modelling and different thinking. The 2008 crash was not predicted by main stream economists, otherwise known as neoclassical economists, but was predicted by other none mainstream economists, as the neoclassical believers believed their market equilibrium models were correct, and our economies were in equilibrium, some even calling it, 'the great moderation'!

I'd disagree with your statement, 'the cream rises to the top', in our free market systems, as there's also mounting evidence some of this cream actually poses some highly complex human behaviour problems such as sociopathic and psychopathic behaviour, which actually does endanger us all. Effectively, there's something fundamentally wrong with our current approaches to economics and politics, we must change this asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do you agree with "safe spaces" for those easily offended? It's mostly college we are talking about.

My problem with "safe spaces" is that the world might come crashing in when you realise there is no "safe space" for you or your views afterward and you might not be able to cope.

Is it time for a bit of backbone to be injected in to our school leavers and graduates?

No problem with it as long as the safe space is contained to their own room or apartment because there you have control.

The moment you choose to step outside is the moment you choose to give up control of your environment and so give up your safe space.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I heard that space is quite dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Your Face wrote: »
    I heard that space is quite dangerous.

Not if you wear a spacesuit

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

I 100% disagree with safe spaces & the concept of safe spaces, when you reach a certain age you are a grown adult & you re gonna hear things you don,t agree with, get over it-not everyone is gonna have the same worldview that you do, it was reported in a Uk newspaper last year that one Uni banned a pro life group under the guise that they would violate other people,s safe space.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/739970/abortion-pro-life-students-Scottish-University-clinic-health

If you are very easily offended by other people,s point of view that don,t match your worldview, don,t go & attend debates in your college, don,t engage with other group stalls that offend you, very simple, even read yesterday that counseling is gonna be offered to people upset by Ben Shapiro,s upcoming speech at Uc Berkeley .

https://twitter.com/HashtagGriswold/status/906212088439296001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In three years in UCD, I never heard the term 'safe space' being used. Not even once. I hear it a lot on Boards though, usually from right-wingers who follow way too much American media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

RayM wrote: »
    In three years in UCD, I never heard the term 'safe space' being used. Not even once. I hear it a lot on Boards though, usually from right-wingers who follow way too much American media.

By all accounts that real university, ie Oxford, has them.

• Advertisement

The first time I heard the of the concept of a "safe space" was in 2012 when I did a postgrad at a university in England. I joined the college's LGBT Society and it was described as being somewhere free from harrassment, where students could openly be themselves and not have to worry about subjected to homophobic/biphobic/transphobic abuse. For situations such as this, the concept of a safe space makes complete sense to me and I can't see why anyone would be against it. You were free to chat about whatever you wanted, as long as you weren't being an abusive dick.

Like pretty much every provision in the world the concept is open to abuse; not every single place in the word needs to be made a "safe space" where everybody is forced to agree and nobody is allowed have their ideas challenged. But nobody actually WANTS this kind of thing to happen other than a small number of left-leaning idiots who happen to be loud on social media; the bigger problem is that a larger number of right-leaning idiots (who are also very loud on social media) think that every left-leaning person wants exactly this, and so you end up with bullshít terms like "cultural marxism" and "virtue signalling" being thrown around willy-nilly.

If everyone was able to follow the simple mantra of "don't be a dick" then there would be no need for the safe space concept in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes! +1

Tbh some of the stuff I see on boards is borderline censorship. You can't voice any controversial views for the fear of upsetting anyone. This upsets me, I think I need a safe space.
    Goderator wrote: »
    Doesnt even have to be controversial, if a mod dont like what your saying your gone.

At the end of the day, it's a privately owned website and as such, they make the rules. They can't "censor" you because you can simply say it somewhere else.

As for controversial, is that contraversial trolling or controversial locigal debate. if the later, can you highlight an example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

At the end of the day, it's a privately owned website and as such, they make the rules. They can't "censor" you because you can simply say it somewhere else.

It'd be a good sperryment to A/B (C/D/E :) ) test it

make loads of copies of the site and display different version to people

might be able to charge some peoples mammys to only show their offspring the version that'd make them happiest

bit of Ai to pick up on the cadence n tone n words used by them to judge their mood

gctest50 wrote: »
    It'd be a good sperryment to A/B (C/D/E :) ) test it

make loads of copies of the site and display different version to people

might be able to charge some peoples mammys to only show their offspring the version that'd make them happiest

bit of Ai to pick up on the cadence n tone n words used by them to judge their mood

I have no clue what you mean.. :o

I have no clue what you mean.. :o

ok hun? You need your safe space from the attacker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

forget safe space

have a ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

In space nobody can hear people crying about 'SJWs' and 'virtue-signalling'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the real world when people get jobs they are on probation for 3-6 months and can be let go during that period without a reason. A university isn't just about book learning, it's to prepare you for the world just ask Cardinal Newman.

Runaway Train isn't a great film.
    The best parts are Jon Voight's moustache and this speech

Manny: [after listening to Buck's dream] That's bull****. You're not gonna do nothin' like that. I'll tell you what you gonna do. You gonna get a job. That's what you gonna do. You're gonna get a little job. Some job a convict can get, like scraping off trays in a cafeteria. Or cleaning out toilets. And you're gonna hold onto that job like gold. Because it is gold. Let me tell you, Jack, that is gold. You listenin' to me? And when that man walks in at the end of the day. And he comes to see how you done, you ain't gonna look in his eyes. You gonna look at the floor. Because you don't want to see that fear in his eyes when you jump up & grab his face, and slam him to the floor, and make him scream & cry for his life. So you look right at the floor, Jack. Pay attention to what I'm sayin', motherfúcker! And then he's gonna look around the room - see how you done. And he's gonna say "Oh, you missed a little spot over there. Jeez, you didn't get this one here. What about this little bitty spot?" And you're gonna suck all that pain inside you, and you're gonna clean that spot. And you're gonna clean that spot. Until you get that shiny clean. And on Friday, you pick up your paycheck. And if you could do that, if you could do that, you could be president of Chase Manhattan... corporations! If you could do that.

ok hun? You need your safe space from the attacker?

No... just some sort of an explanation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

.....even read yesterday that counseling is gonna be offered to people upset by Ben Shapiro,s upcoming speech at Uc Berkeley.

Just seeing that tonight myself. Crazy stuff.

https://twitter.com/JodiHernandezTV/status/908432771269386240
    https://twitter.com/SovernNation/status/908391810631843840

His talk will be live streamed from 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tellyium

As an old ****er I had thought the concept of a safe space was just more pandering to the precious little snowflake softy petals.
    Then I realised that, more than ever, it's the hard arses that are setting the agenda. Now the hard arses, by their very nature, tend to be a bit dominant and dickish so if the less aggressive in society need a little shelter from that, then I'm all for it. If anyone feels they need a safe space, then they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

In reply to Outlaw Pete,s post.   I only kinda know of Ben Shapiro/ heard of him within the last month, thanks to all the fuss that,s being made about him appearing at the Berkeley college, those making a big massive fuss over him they don,t seem to realize nor get the more they threaten riots the more they go about speakers they don,t like means the more the raise a persons public profile meaning more people not less people will know about the speaker, lets ask the question how many more followers is Ben Shapiro after gaining on social media due to all the publicity Antifa types have given him ? prob a lot , whereas if they simply ignored him + ignored other speakers they don,t like they wouldn,t have as much publicity without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

The whole Ben Shapiro thing is absolutely bizarre. He has literally no extreme views, there is nothing I have heard him say that I could see any rational person being offended or upset by. I cannot believe the controversy his views have caused. It blows my mind.

No trouble or antifa at the Ben Shapiro event. Milo was shut down because he intended outing illegals in the student population. Berkeley is a safe space for conservatives it seems. Link to his talk watched a bit of it awful smug nonsense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqhp99Fz0I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

These days, every group has to be accommodated.

Except the homeless & unemployed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

20Cent wrote: »
    No trouble or antifa at the Ben Shapiro event.

lol. You say this as if all the security put in place was for nothing and sure what were they all worried about.........

But the reason there was no antifa was because of that police presence. $600,000 was spent on making sure there was no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
    -Marcus Aurelius

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
    -Marcus Aurelius

Easy to say if you are not the group being attacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

20Cent wrote: »
    No trouble or antifa at the Ben Shapiro

I'm shocked. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bygumbo

All of this crap is coming from the same place, America.

It is, barring war zones, the most socially divided country on the planet. 49% of the population believe XXX, 51% don't believe XXX. Its shocking just how many things are split nearly 50/50.

It is also a nation that has a gigantic immigrant population and a gigantic illegal immigrant population (including irish).

Naturally, different groups are out to take over the country, or hold onto the country. I was going to use the word "share", but that's a load of BS, nobody is ever out to share at that level.

All this is dressed up in a thousand different gowns and ideologies, all vying to get their own way and put others down. All pretending its about anything OTHER than moving themselves up in the world over others.

Pump this poisonous society into the living rooms and screens of every irish home in the country all day every day......and it starts to rub off on the vulnerable.

Basically, the sooner America just splits and crumbles the better it is for everyone.

Safe spaces, hyper sensitivity, racism, overkill capitalism, the "left", the "right", virtue signalling, checking your privilege, thought police and on and on and on (ignoring the warmongering etc).........

Pure and utter Americanisation, "soft" imperialism, is happening here, and those most likely to be affected are those that spend more time on the internet. And I'd hazard a guess that people who spend most of their time on the internet are the most vulnerable.

So, safe spaces? Leave these dividing "ideas" to the numpties over in the Divided States. Its not coming out of Germany, Argentina, Iceland, Namibia....just ONE single country is responsible for all of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What's funny is safe spaces exist everywhere and have for a good long while. Go on to any sport teams' thread here or forum on another website and talk them down a lot, and you'll get banned. Go on The_Donald subreddit where 'free speech' is a huge talking point and say anything critical, and you'll get banned. Go on a mental health forum and dismiss mental health issues left, right and centre and you'll likely get banned.

Interesting quick history on safe spaces - which actually began in of all places, 1940s corporate America: https://mindhacks.com/2015/11/12/the-real-history-of-the-safe-space/

• Advertisement
Advertisement