Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool, 12.30pm live on Sky Sport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Had it been 2 inches above ground and he met his ankle it would still be a red card. This was 5 foot above ground and in the head. 50:50 I don't care what you call it you cant go into a challenge like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Lads seriously thinking that's not a red need to have a wee chat with themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,592 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Salah tripped and stayed up there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,663 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He could have caused serious damage to a player doing that and yet some say the goalkeeper was at fault for lowering his head!

image.jpg
    That's pretty comprehensive there. Clear red card.

4 man panel on Bein Sports saying 100% correct decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Otamendi is garbage. Salah should be up his hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He could have caused serious damage to a player doing that and yet some say the goalkeeper was at fault for lowering his head!

image.jpg

I applaud the keeper for making the most of it,even got stretchered off with an oxygen mask.Serious commitment.
    Some of the comments here outdo Trump for fake news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Knex. wrote: »
    Hmm. That doesn't look great now, in fairness. Ref has perfect view too.

Doubt very much that'll be rescinded, lads.

Still images never look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

image.jpg

It's a least a millimeter lower than it should be, desperate from the keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Does anyone remember Nani's tackle on Arbeloa when United played Madrid in the champions league a few years ago? It was a similar situation except Nani tackled arbeloa's side rather than his head. Loads of people argued that was a red card. If that was a deserved red card, then Mane's tackle was 100% a red card.

No I'd say no one remembers that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

and that had nothing to do with being a man down.

I'm clearly a fantasy football guru. Swapped de bruyne n Jesus for Pogba and firminho (-4 points to boot)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Nev has dug himself a deep hole with his defence of Mane. Clear red, regardless if Mane didn't mean to hit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That latest picture on the thread is pretty damning tbf. Really hate to say it, but it's the correct decision and the 3 game ban will probably stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nani didn't kick the player in the head adox

But that's irrelevant really. It's the same sort of challenge. Th card is always for the offence, not the resulting injury or impact.

It looks like a horrible injury to the keeper and I hope he makes a speedy recovery but injury level doesn't dictate the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Otamendi is garbage. Salah should be up his hole.
    I'm hoping Pep subs him. Maybe stick Dinho in as a makeshift CB. Ota is an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,592 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Otamendi tripped Salah on line of box, and he stayed up when it was a certain second yellow and penalty.
    Salah really annoying me in his decisions !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Salah tripped and stayed up there !

I was wanting him to go down,Fantasy Football points are a serious business.

adox wrote: »
    But that's irrelevant really. It's the same sort of challenge. Th card is always for the offence, not the resulting injury or impact.

It looks like a horrible injury to the keeper and I hope he makes a speedy recovery but injury level doesn't dictate the card.

A red for dangerous play and an out of control tackle. It's clearly the case here. Sorry man but can't agree with you here.

If mane wins the ball with his foot there he probably still gets a yellow for dangerous play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Perhaps you should read the post I quoted then.

Yano, cause it's kind of relevant.

You're trying to say that you can see beyond your club allegiance and make an impartial decision. But whoever you support it doesn't matter. Your view that it's not a red is just plain wrong by the laws of the game. Mane was reckless in the very extreme.

• Advertisement

Watch Nev try and pretend that he watched it a number of times at half time and now agrees with Moss decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A red for dangerous play and an out of control tackle. It's clearly the case here. Sorry man but can't agree with you here.

It wasn't a tackle. He went to take down the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If mane wins the ball with his foot there he probably still gets a yellow for dangerous play

No way the keeper gets a red if mane gets a touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Carragher admitting he was originally wrong. Others should take note

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No I'd say no one remembers that.

Are you being serious, it's hard to tell. I remember it and remember thinking it was very harsh as was the one today.

I don't think he will win an appeal but a bit of common sense from the ref is what you need. I don't believe there was any intent to be reckless or do damage and I think a yellow would have been the right colour card there.

I don't support either club so no bias here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It's a red, lads. I'm positive that it wasn't malicious or intentional, but it was dangerous play so it's a red. Game over anyway, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Stonewall red card. Anything else is delusional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

niallo27 wrote: »
    No way the keeper gets a red if mane gets a touch.

Wrong! Mane goes in high and dangerous and still gets sent off

Watching it in normal play it looks a yellow but when slowed down it looks a red.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Carragher fully behind the red card decision at half time. Comments around it far more sensible than Neville's "Ederson is injured because his defenders tried to play offside". Stupid comment. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

IMG_0079_zpsrwig7liv.jpeg

Never a red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

It wasn't a tackle. It was a challenge for the ball.

We will have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

eagle eye wrote: »
    intent to be reckless

That's somewhat of an oxymoron. Recklessness tends not to involve intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,663 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Definitely a RED card --

Fifa's laws of the game for the 2017-18 season contains the following entry...
    "Serious foul play - a tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

No doubt it's a red, just because you are trying to get the ball doesn't mean you can't make a mistake and be reckless. It doesn't make Mane a dirty player, but it is still a reckless challenge. Klopp also should be ashamed with his behavior on the side lines.

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote: »
    Wrong! Mane goes in high and dangerous and still gets sent off

So if he didn't make contact with the keeper you still think it's a red. Since when is a high foot a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Chamberlain must be delighted he might play the next few games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Watching the reply in HD slow motion, it is impossible imo to claim that challenge is anything other than a red card. Two feet in the air at running pace with his foot higher than his own head??? Red all day long. No intent to hurt the keeper but thats irrelevant. It was very reckless

Mane didn't even protest it, which says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you being serious, it's hard to tell. I remember it and remember thinking it was very harsh as was the one today.

I don't think he will win an appeal but a bit of common sense from the ref is what you need. I don't believe there was any intent to be reckless or do damage and I think a yellow would have been the right colour card there.

I don't support either club so no bias here.

Intent is not relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭mada999

Otamendi should have went too after his two footed tackle into mane earlier as he was out of control :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Sod it lads, that's a red that won't get rescinded. He'll be out for Burnley and two against the Foxes, hardly the end of the world and he'll be well rested before the away game in Moscow.

Infuriating stuff, but not the end of the world....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So if he didn't make contact with the keeper you still think it's a red. Since when is a high foot a red.

Bicycle kicks must be a straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes, they are studs and yes they are hitting him in the face

Captured.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Terrible decision, ref gave a red based on emotion.

"Went for the ball" is the most meaningless statement in football

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

If in that exact situation he makes contact with the ball yes its a red
    If a player makes contact in the way Mane did its always a red buddy, im sorry if i'm the one who had to tell you this

It wasn't a tackle. He went to take down the ball

Challenge, tackle, whatever lads
    It's was wreckless and out of control
    FIFA rules state straight red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Not a chance Mane would get booked if he nicked it first. Ederson would have got the red in that scenario.

Foolish challenge from Mane and certainly a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If we don't completely throw in the towel (which I can't see happening) then I'm fairly confident we'll score given how utterly pathetic City are at the back.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Terrible decision, ref gave a red based on emotion.

This is a wum, surely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement