Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jerry Pournelle passed away

• 09-09-2017 10:21am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed his collaborations with Larry Niven (Footfall, Mote in God's Eye etc) and his standalone works.

"American science fiction writer, essayist, and journalist who contributed for many years to the computer magazine Byte. Pournelle served as President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America in 1973"
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Pournelle#Fiction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I saw the news this morning. He'd not been well for some time, and never fully recovered from a stroke a few years ago. The Mote in God's Eye should be required reading for an SF fan, along with its sequel The Gripping Hand (a.k.a. The Moat around Murcheson's Eye). Pournelle's politics, on the other hand ... hoo, boy! :eek:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Ah damnit, I enjoyed many of his books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very sad to hear this, I really enjoyed his books back in the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lucifer's Hammer is a favourite of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I've read almost everything he wrote, loved his stuff. RIP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement