Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta stage 20. Corvera → Alto de El Angliru - 119km

Options
  • 09-09-2017 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

A short stage with some serious punishment on the penultimate day of another Sky bot controlled Grand Tour and bar a serious cock up today Froome has this in the bag but can the final climb cause a cock up and some excitment. Heres hoping. a Cat 3 climb, 2 Cat 1s and a kicker at the end. The route designer must have been in a bad mood when he designed this route

CARTE.jpg

14420.jpg

Mountain. Short stage (119.2 kilometres), but very tough. La Vuelta winner may be determined at the Alto de l'Angliru, as was the case in 2011 between Bradley Wiggins and Juanjo Cobo. It is the last stage and the riders will give it their all, so we are in for a good show.

mapa_subidac.jpg

PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.png
    1. GBRFROOME Christopher 21 TEAM SKY 75h 51' 51''
    2. ITANIBALI Vincenzo 151 BAHRAIN - MERIDA 75h 53' 28'' + 01' 37''
    3. NEDKELDERMAN Wilco 61 TEAM SUNWEB 75h 54' 08'' + 02' 17''
    4. RUSZAKARIN Ilnur 101 TEAM KATUSHA ALPECIN 75h 54' 20'' + 02' 29''
    5. ESPCONTADOR Alberto 1 TREK - SEGAFREDO 75h 55' 25'' + 03' 34''
    6. COLLOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel 136 ASTANA PRO TEAM 75h 57' 07'' + 05' 16''
    7. CANWOODS Michael 91 CANNONDALE DRAPAC PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM 75h 58' 24'' + 06' 33''
    8. ITAARU Fabio 131 ASTANA PRO TEAM 75h 58' 24'' + 06' 33''
    9. NEDPOELS Wout 27 TEAM SKY 75h 58' 38'' + 06' 47''
    10. NEDKRUIJSWIJK Steven 111 TEAM LOTTO NL - JUMBO 76h 02' 17'' + 10' 26'

SPA-Alto-del-Agliru-01.jpeg

Will Froome loose the Vuelta today? 13 votes

No Chance, he won it days ago
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, he,s gona blow
    46% 6 votes
    No, but I,d love to see someone else take red today
    0% 0 votes
    Not really bothered, I just want to see pain & suffering today
    53% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

You just beat me to it neris :P

Live coverage is on Eurosport1 today, not the usual Eurosport2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

ContadorAngliru.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Me too, even went and nearly died climbing the bloody thing just to give a decent preview.... :rolleyes: :D

24brg3p.jpg
    2eevj95.jpg
    206n8dx.jpg
    2u76lh1.jpg

The real climb is the top part. Once you have passed Viapara it's a world of pain. Cuesta Las Cabanes is ridiculously steep, nearly as bad as Cuenas les Cabres. The two long straight stretches between Cabanes and Llagos and again from Llagos to Picones are the most regular sections of the whole climb. You can set a rhythm there and grind it out steady enough but that could lead to a false sense of security because once you get to Picones, That's it. You're done. It's completely relentless for the next 3 km. It doesn't ever drop to 10%, you're trying to to recover your breath on the 12-15% parts because the rest is 15-20%. Realistically there's no recovery. It's maximum effort till the top. I calved just past Cobayos at around 20%. Cuenas les Cabres is 800m long @17% and that's where this whole Vuelta could be won or lost because if Froome cracks again there and Nibali can keep going then a minute is nothing. There's no aero benefit whatsoever at 8kmh on 20%. It's pure individual ability and willpower. It's not even beyond the possibility that Contador could make enough time to catch up.

I can't fking wait!!

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Me too, even went and nearly died climbing the bloody thing just to give a decent preview.... :rolleyes: :D

i find copy & paste hours of research from books and online in the comfort a chair alot easier and less time consuming to do previews

24brg3p.jpg

Thats a great shot , really gives a sense of the height. I'd say the view from there was a nice reward for the effort getting up.

manky looking day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Eurosport player isn't loading content to my chromecast today. Great time for a problem :(

• Advertisement

Lots of people reporting problems with Eurosport Player on twitter. Flip :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Eurosport player isn't loading content to my chromecast today. Great time for a problem :(

I cant login on browser either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Me too - won't cast, can't log in on 'puter #sake

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Lots of people reporting problems with Eurosport Player on twitter. Flip :(

Me too :(

neris wrote: »

That's 2 hours of fun!!!

I can watch on the app on my tablet, but no joy from my browser or chromecast. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sat here in the van at 8k to go and its lashing and no joy for me with eurosport on laptop either! Miserable day, massive winds came in over night, so much so that the massive tent they setup with bar/restaurant part collapsed! Didnt bring gears for these hills, no chance of getting up them in the 39/25 so i went and climbed the road they descend to the foot of the last climb, could be sketchy on that descent in this rain!

can get it my phone app and on the pc but had same problem trying to chromecast from phone to tv. the app & website update they did a while back is a pain in the hole especially on mobile always wanting location turned on

Nicolas Roche in the break..

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Eurosport ap won't work on my phone. Mighty timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Perfect timing from Eurosport to have a system wide failure. Can't even send on my email to reset the password.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can watch on the app on my tablet, but no joy from my browser or chromecast. Weird.

ME too, that's because the site is rubbish sometimes and always has been. it sometimes decides that my password or email is wrong when it just isn't.

It's a pain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Perfect timing from Eurosport to have a system wide failure. Can't even send on my email to reset the password.

There's nothing wrong with your password though i'd wager. This is an issue that crops up every so often with the site. Google it and you'll see people complaining about it 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

Would really love to see Contador win this stage and Niballi move up into red. Please not another stage dominated by Froome and the Sky bots! Come on Contador and Niballi. Go Nico also cant see it happening today.

The single thickest thing I've ever heard Kirby say "There's Horreos famous chestnut tree, the only reason I can think of that we're looking at it"

While the camera was focused on a group of Horreos, the traditional Northern Spanish style of grain store.
    [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ADIkIZcECcs/VJcXfozdrlI/AAAAAAAAVBk/LTHSDUu6-qk/s1600/hórreo.jpg[/img]

The single thickest thing I've ever heard Kirby say "There's Horreos famous chestnut tree, the only reason I can think of that we're looking at it"

well he just called Nico roche sean roche now

I'd say a good few of the riders in the breakaway are wishing that they hadn't bothered!

I'm now watching in Russian....thats dedication

TV broke
    ES not working
    Any stream in English not working

Eurosport ap back working finally

• Advertisement

.......just in time for an ad

Advertisement