Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta stage 20. Corvera → Alto de El Angliru - 119km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

pelevin wrote: »
    If Contador's retirement was a pragmatic decision based on not having the legs of the younger big guns, there'd be huge reason to re-think that. after this Vuelta. If not for the time-loss cos of being sick early on, he'd very probably be winning the race or at least man on man against Froome. Otoh though as is he goes out on a high it looks like.

I would agree, based on his level during this race Contador still has much to offer, maybe not in the Tour, but he can certainly target a Giro or a Vuelta and deliver you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

FFS Carlton, get a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Inquitus wrote: »
    I would agree, based on his level during this race Contador still has much to offer, maybe not in the Tour, but he can certainly target a Giro or a Vuelta and deliver you'd think.

Certainly looks like it. He's not been lucky in a few Grand TOurs lately in terms of crashes so was hard to get an idea of his true current level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

FFS Carlton, get a froome!

Fixed that typo for you there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

FFS Carlton, get a room!

Lol, Froome the Great. Ok, I'm throwing the towel in, I used to be indifferent to his madness, often finding it amusing, but I've been swept over the edge today by his tears of manlove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Fixed that typo for you there...

*applauds*

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

I'll miss Bertie's mad beaming face as he shakes his hips up ultra-steep climbs.

Bonkers stage.
    I'd say Kirby is getting emotional at the prospect of Contador taking the stage.

And if he does what a way to end your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Well done Bertie!

What a stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Bonkers stage.
    I'd say Kirby is getting emotional at the prospect of Contador taking the stage.

And if he does what a way to end your career.
    Thought froome was going to catch him there.

I think if the Sky lads had caught Contador & nabbed the stage they'd probably have got lynched.

Poels looks nicely warmed up now to go for more of a testing cycle after the stage.

I hope Conor Dunne makes it up. Twould be a sickener to get to the penultimate stage and miss the time cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 4Leinster

Zakarin had to spoil the party by nicking the last podium place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

pelevin wrote: »
    Poels looks nicely warmed up now to go for more of a testing cycle after the stage.

https://twitter.com/Digger_forum/status/906547457999417344

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bertie you beaut. I for one am absolutely delighted.

ThisRegard wrote: »

The sight of that acceleration through the corner was what prompted my earlier comment about Poels rolling a cigarette as he paced Froome up. Looked like he could just do whatever he wanted in terms of pace. Handy domestique to have.

4Leinster wrote: »
    Zakarin had to spoil the party by nicking the last podium place!

Well done to Zakarin at least he made a few digs, Keldermann sat on the wheels for 3 weeks and only today when the podium was under threat they made a move so I'm not bothered he didn't keep his place. Would've preferred Contador to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Excellent stage to have as the penultimate, onwards to Madrid tomorrow. Shame Contador lost so much time in Andorra, we could have had a 3 way battle between him, Nibali and Froome for the GC. Chapeau to Froome, winning 2 Grand Tours back to back is some achievement. Chapeau to Bertie for rolling back the years and delivering some special performances on Angliru and Los Muchahos where he narrowly missed out to Aqua Blue's own Denifl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Brilliant by Contador....nothing else to say really

But for the bad day in Andora he could have won ...only credible opposition to SKY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Delighted for Contador. Really thought for a moment that Poels was going to go after him. The way he has finished this race make you wonder if he might reconsider retirement if his initial thought to retire was based on that he could no longer do it at his level.

Sky so strong again. At one stage there were 12 riders in the following group, halfway up the climb, and 6 were Team Sky. Lots of buzz about how Poels and Froome accelerated around that corner and up the slope. It did become a following wind at that point but with everything about Sky it does make you think.

And thank goodness the Eurosport Player came back alive! I found a Danish stream that was pretty stable, but the accent was beginning to grate on me.

Conor Dunne finished 26:27 down on Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Daroxtar wrote: »

https://twitter.com/AquaBlueSport/status/906557831704399873

Looks like they all made the cut

Just looking at the Strava of the climb. Dave Brailsford beat me by half an hour :(
    I did stop before I had a stroke for a photo or two though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

David De La Cruz abandoned after his crash. Very unlucky.

Fabio Aru was a big loser today. Dropped from 8th to 13th in GC.

Nico moved up one place to 14th overall.

Daroxtar wrote: »

Fair play. Tallest rider to ever compete in the Vuelta apparently.

Happy to see Tejay van Garderen finish 10th, good achievement from him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Yes ...but hard going ...tough to race so hard and never be seen...Much better imo to go for stages

Also Nico at 14th wasnt to far off the top 10 ...one bad day away from top 10
    But again hard going ...better imo to ride for stages

but then again next year's field at the Vuelta may not have Froome, Contador or Nibali ....this year the field was very strong and the parcours very hard ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yes, good work by him, but He was pretty anonymous throughout.

• Advertisement

Advertisement