Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrorist attack in Dublin scenario

• 09-09-2017 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I wanted to signup to post this, as I think it is one of the most serious problems in Ireland recently.

Given the recent terror attacks in London and Manchester, and the questions asked and answered about security here, we have established already that we are not prepared to handle a terror attack.

So, here is my scenario.

Call me a troll all ye want, but this is a good point:

If a suicide bomber hit the All-Ireland final, while the thousands of fans inside Croke Park were leaving, he could easily kill 100+ people. But we just don't seem to care all that much, because, after all, we are a "neutral" country, aren't we?

The unarmed Garda there wouldn't be able to cope.

So, in your own personal opinion, what would happen in this scenario?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You will find armed Gardai at such an event in Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What are the armed garda gonna do when he blows himself up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Big slap on the back for yourself OP for being the first with such a "what would Ireland do in the event of a terrorist attack" type thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Shoot him in the guts, that'll teach him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 crokermun

Exactly. I was in Zaventem airport after the Brussels attacks in 2016 and there were so many soldiers around, what are they going to do, shoot him, he falls over and detonates?

• Advertisement

What would happen in the Croker scenario?

crokermun wrote: »
    Exactly. I was in Zaventem airport after the Brussels attacks in 2016 and there were so many soldiers around, what are they going to do, shoot him, he falls over and detonates?

Not even that. They wouldn't have the time to react to seeing a chap detonate a bomb.

Armed police are just a show of force for the public. Not gonna stop some gowl blowing up a bomb in a bag.

Goderator wrote: »
    Sure that would never happen in Ireland doesnt everyone love us.
    Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Big slap on the back for yourself OP for being the first with such a "what would Ireland do in the event of a terrorist attack" type thread.

Ye are hilarious! I'm sure the teenagers going to the Ariana whatshername concert in Manchester didn't fathom an attack happening there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I would imagine a replay of the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If the bomb is big enough it could become Hill 17.

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    I would imagine a replay of the final?

Very funny. Back on-topic please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

People die, metal detectors at every public event after that. Ireland is so west and so small that Islamic terrorists wouldn't bother with it, bigger and closer countries to them.

Bomb blows up. People die. There is chaos. Same as all the other attacks.

Why would they attack croke park, premiership game in london would have a bigger impact.
    Set a bomb off outside Wembley, dont even need to kill anyone to have the same impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Add an Irish flag to their profile pictures on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Plasters n bandages five for fifty

Is it likely and what would the response be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I would imagine much the same as every other time there was a terrorist attack in Dublin with added nutjobs posting crap on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Call me pure cynical, or what have you, but hear me out.

A new user signs up to chat about terrorism.
    Within 1 minute, another new user replies to your chat about terrorism.
    It's Saturday, lunch time, when the site is busy.
    There hasn't been a terrorist incident in a while, even though some proclaim it's a daily occurrence, in Europe.

You wouldn't just be here to scare people, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Hon Mayo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Is it likely and what would the response be?

Why don't you ask the gardai and other emergency services as they're the ones that would be dealing with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If ISIS (or someone else, for that matter) decides it wants to hit Dublin with a terrorist attack, it's going to hit Dublin with a terrorist attack and there is **** all Dublin can do about it. For a start, we're an island. Getting the required materials in will be easy. And as per anywhere else, they don't even need to get to a specific place to do it. If you want to talk Croker - the Manchester bomber detonated outside thr arena and he still caused havoc. And there was/will be very little any defence/police/security force is going to be able to do about it.

My question would be why someone would want to hit Dublin with a torrorist attack. Waste of a suicide bomber if you ask me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I work in the security detail in Croke Park OP , it's more secure than you realise.

We're all issued with sandwiches which we wave about on sticks.

No ISIS bomber can get past is.

Very funny. Back on-topic please?

Apologies! Well I guess if there was a terrorist attack then every sports shop around the country would sell out of Celtic jerseys...

If you want a serious answer take it out of after hours, what did you expect here, serious debate and cordial replies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Ham I presume?

Ham I presume?

Hang...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I work in the security detail in Croke Park OP , it's more secure than you realise.

Triple sausage, bacon and lettuce? Red flag to a bull :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

There hasn't been a terrorist incident in a while, even though some proclaim it's a daily occurrence, in Europe.

It's interesting that three weeks now qualifies as a "while".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wanted to signup to post this,

So, here is my scenario.

Call me a troll

Ok

• Advertisement

Ham I presume?

Don't be ridiculous, culchies have eaten every hang sandwich and drank all the tae within ffourty miles of Croke Park of a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Reregs should be thrown in guatanmo bay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Boards needs a dedicated forum for potential terrorist attacks in Dublin.

Was the post about Grafton Street last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It will happen eventually but I just don't think we are sexy enough target for them. Even the homegrown Irish extremists would be more likely to cross the channel.

It will happen eventually though and probably within the first 5-10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Stage 1 - Preparation

Do the preparation for the Gardaí response. Make sure they looked armed. Buy them expensive kit and powerful looking 4x4s and cars. Make sure that all the media are called to watch preparation. (All choreographed by Noirin the PR women dressed as a commissioner) Tick. Done. Finito.

Stage 2 - The Attack

There would be absolute pandemonium in Dublin hospitals.

There would be many needless deaths of injured people due the HSE's chronic disorganisation problem. Not enough paramedics can make it to the scene. Hundreds of injured die in hospital corridors.

Stage 3 - The Aftermath

Time for the usual excuses will be trotted out "mistakes were made", "acting on the best information available at the time". Politicians and HSE chiefs can't comment on the disaster because of an imminent public inquiry

Stage 4 - Public Inquiry

Public enquiry will take place approximately 6 years after the attack. In the meantime, key players who made catastrophic decisions are now retiring on full pension and golden handshakes. Loads of reports of written by "consultants" (of the legal and business kind) about the catastrophe. Beautifully presented reports choc-full of platitudes stating the bleeding obvious in technical prose written by hacks who
    don't want to upset their paymaster.

Same old. Same old. So predictable what would happen if their was a terrorist attack in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice try Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi but you have to do your own planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What I want to know is how the **** got a ticket?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Mayo folk descending on Dublin should be classed as a terror attack.

Sangwiches and flasks o' tae everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Post terror attack it's the governments/gardai fault.
    If an attack did take place without any plan in place. It's the governments and gardai fault.
    If there was a major security plain in place it's the governments/gardai fault.
    Basically no matter what happens the government and gardai will get blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 walshj34

I remember talking to a Gard in the city about this about a month ago, they can get their ASU's anywhere within the GDA in 8 mins, and 12 mins to the major cities. That's time that's similar to London's special response units.

To be fair, not a whole lot will stop a lone maniac, but if it's planned and part of a bigger organisation, it would be a lot harder to keep on the dl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I think a muslim would stick out a bit at the All Ireland final, unless they use a white convert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wanted to signup to post this, as I think it is one of the most serious problems in Ireland recently.

Given the recent terror attacks in London and Manchester, and the questions asked and answered about security here, we have established already that we are not prepared to handle a terror attack.

So, here is my scenario.

Call me a troll all ye want, but this is a good point:

If a suicide bomber hit the All-Ireland final, while the thousands of fans inside Croke Park were leaving, he could easily kill 100+ people. But we just don't seem to care all that much, because, after all, we are a "neutral" country, aren't we?

The unarmed Garda there wouldn't be able to cope.

So, in your own personal opinion, what would happen in this scenario?

The Gardaí are armed

walshj34 wrote: »
    I remember talking to a Gard in the city about this about a month ago, they can get their ASU's anywhere within the GDA in 8 mins, and 12 mins to the major cities. That's time that's similar to London's special response units.

To be fair, not a whole lot will stop a lone maniac, but if it's planned and part of a bigger organisation, it would be a lot harder to keep on the dl.

So do you think this " Garda" could give me a loan of a Garda radio , it's just that I need to know where the Gardai are next Tuesday near my local post office.

What would happpen, how likely is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Massive casualties for one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crispycool

You can never be properly prepared for an unexpected terrorist attack. The most important thing we can do as a country is to stop supporting wars that increase the likelihood of a terrorist attack in Ireland. We should be outspoken against war instead of aiding and abetting what inevitably results in more terrorism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

the Manchester bomber detonated outside thr arena and he still caused havoc.
    That bomb was set off in the foyer of the arena, not outside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Manchester_Arena_bombing#Attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am never leaving my house again. Work can suffer. It's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Call me pure cynical, or what have you, but hear me out.

A new user signs up to chat about terrorism.
    Within 1 minute, another new user replies to your chat about terrorism.
    It's Saturday, lunch time, when the site is busy.

You wouldn't just be here to scare people, would you?

At least one, and probably both of them are Brian I reckon;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fg-councillor-faces-disciplinary-hearing-over-sharia-law-claim-1.3214489

Advertisement