Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden clippings

Options
  • 09-09-2017 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Has anyone any advice on taking clippings in the garden.. im helping a friend who is clueless about gardening and has a very bare garden. My garden is full with various plants and shrubs so iv told her I'll help her plant her garden with clippings from mine..

I know to cut at an angle dip in rooting powder and then in to the prepared soil. is now still to warm to take clippings. Ill be takings clippings from fushia, willow, hydregna, Portuguese laurel, common laurel, a few native trees .

Also can you take clippings from fruit trees

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Has anyone any advice on taking clippings in the garden.. im helping a friend who is clueless about gardening and has a very bare garden. My garden is full with various plants and shrubs so iv told her I'll help her plant her garden with clippings from mine..

I know to cut at an angle dip in rooting powder and then in to the prepared soil. is now still to warm to take clippings. Ill be takings clippings from fushia, willow, hydregna, Portuguese laurel, common laurel, a few native trees .

Also can you take clippings from fruit trees

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Propagating plants from cuttings is easier for some plants than for others and I think you do need to do a bit more research. If you put cuttings straight into soil outdoors they will often dry out before any new roots have had a chance to grow. Some deciduous plants like blackcurrants will grow straight from a dormant piece of branch stuck in the ground over winter but anything that would still have leaves on it would dry out before any roots have a chance to grow. Placing the cutting in a plastic bag around a pot you plant it in first can sometimes give the cutting enough protection until the roots are formed.

Often fruit trees are grown on root stock and so may be more difficult to grow from cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I think also best to take cuttings earlier in the year, like July, to give them a chance to establish before winter. I cut old empty plastic bottles in half to make covers to protect same. I use a clay pot and then place in sheltered part of garden out of full sun with their lids on. The outer leaves will be trimmed back to a few near the tip and large ones maybe even cut in half also. You need to stop the green shoots touching the plastic bag/lid. Recently I looked up hydrangeas and they are best started from cutting in early autumn. Lot of info on youtube.

Some plants you could divide off a bit with a rooted section, depends on plant.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I gre hydrangeas from cuttings. I cut the flowers off, and then cut just above the last leaf set. Then I cut the leaves in half. Into a pot of compost and put a clear plastic bag around to raise the humidity and preserve moisture. Two weeks later had roots and I removed the back, changed the compost and now I have a hyndrangea out front a year later. Job done. The original cutting died off but not before it replaced itself with three shoots from the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Look out for rooted runners in your garden or plants/clumps that can be split.

Willows root easily from pencil sized cuttings into soil.

Ask friends for spare plants.

Fruit trees would usually be grafted.

Advertisement