Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Leaving Cert points did you get and what path did you take?

• 09-09-2017 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

... If you did the Leaving Cert of course.

Another thread inspired this, and that thread is just someone having a laugh, but it did make me ponder the way things can turn out for people after school. Namely, often not as expected at all.

I got 430 points - I worked, you have to work to get 430 points, but I certainly didn't work hard. I did the required amount but nothing extra. My best subjects were English, geography, history and languages. I did a humanities degree, learning about the political, economic, social, cultural and so on, then a communications postgrad and now I work in the area of communications. I was quite "artsy" so had no business awareness but over the years I have developed it and find myself quite suited to it. I have learned some great entrepreneurial skills and once I've the money saved I'd like to do my own thing.

So I took a pretty standard route, but I love finding out about people who take an unconventional journey education and career-wise. Of course the really out-there stories are rare, and you can't be banking on "Well such and such billionaire dropped out of school at five" type examples, but it is true that leaving cert points are not the end - as students are often led to believe.

Edit: forgot to include "I didn't do the Irish Leaving Cert but I did do the equivalent of it elsewhere".

What points did you get in the LC (if you did it)? 299 votes

500+
    0%
    Coisfarraige 1 vote
    450+
    26%
    rainbow kirbydudara_Whimsical_enda1[Deleted User]conor222SparkoAlquaelefantchubba1984waterfaeriedotsmangoingnowhereAce2007odyssey06revzmatthew8earlyeveningL1m1tlessIvyTheTerrible 79 votes
    400+
    13%
    ValentinaLa_GordyFaithrain onocallaghLéanGLaDOSsozboxAmiraniTootsRubyXIsmurgenTestament1kyeevElChe32Herb PowellEl TaranguCorkgirl18ArtyCArytonblue 40 votes
    350+
    18%
    TheMageeJupiterKidbarry181091dricko_limWelruckajiAndrewf20dfx-orlyiceSierra OscarDavyD_83anniehooEdsredfacedbearSpatialPlanningYugiohmelon_colliejaffa20DegagFoxhound38 56 votes
    300+
    15%
    _Kaiser_SpearCinabig sykeFGRTerrorFirmerleggoTiggerrazorbluntUlysses Gaze_Roz_Johann.cherryghostHead_HunterVinLiegerR.D. aka MR.DjamesberepajorVanishingActssashafierce 45 votes
    300 or less
    9%
    Nervous WreckWompa1BrokenArrows[Deleted User]poisonatedValmontLollipops23Luckycharms_74islanderreSpannerMonkeyglenqvan_beanoC0N0RMuzi5434justboredmarkc1184TG1Tim the EnchanterWhatsisnamePompous 28 votes
    I did mine under an older system
    9%
    The_B_ManPyr0Jaybeesatguy[Deleted User]dm09Jayo11780x PyRoPrettyBoyalwaysadubshakencatMad_DavehairyslugHa Long BayRiseToMeFizzleStickschillinpenguinDeanAustinwally1990JamieHP 29 votes
    I didn't do the Leaving Cert
    7%
    sunbeamSkatedudejimmycrackcormjordataEnrightspuriousmariaaliceytpe2r5bxkn0c1DvBRubberlegsMelodeonSamsgirlsolerinaPretzillalchemist33c68zapdsm5i1rudiomedLaLa2004Sue Pa Key PaGravelly 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got under 500 so I shouldn't be allowed to vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

400+
    I got under 500 so I shouldn't be allowed to vote!
    Lol
    Same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

400+
    I got 495 which I was disappointed with at the time. I definitely didn't work as hard as I could have and I had a lot going on at the time.

I became a Science teacher. I love what I do but the money is pretty terrible (for new entrants) so I can see myself going into industry as some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

450+
    515 points. Ended up studying environmental science but dropped out of it. Started a course in maths science after that and completed it. I now work for a Tech company and enjoy it. I'm doing a part time course in programming now so there might be a career change after that but we will see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Got around 420 iirc....done hardly any work for it...Only 2 weeks supervised study at end of the year,

Done suprisingly well in my higher subjects,got the points I wanted,but couldn't afford to go to college at the time,

So kinda fell into an trade which I love (and am very good at)but the pay isnt great In Ireland,

So trying to decide whether to go back and try college now that I've some small savings behind me

• Advertisement

450+
    I got 570 points. That was ten years ago and I haven't achieved much since then. I did go on to complete a BSc and an MSc, but with average to below average results in disciplines I was not particularly talented in. Have been trundling along the humdrum "work 9-5 for 40-50 years then curl up and die" path since.

Having said all that my mental health and attitude to life has (marginally and very slowly) improved compared to where I was a couple of years ago. Maybe when I'm 30 I'll go back to college or **** off to the other side of the world on a whim or something. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

300 or less
    320 points. I stopped caring about the leaving cert, and school in general, some time in 5th year. It's a miracle I got that many points considering my lack of effort.

Spent 8 years working retails jobs or being unemployed, smoking weed and playing computer games. Also attempted to study animation during that time but I didn't last long.

At 25 I got my act together and went to college. I am now starting my final year of a computer science degree.

No regrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I don't even remember the points I got. I knew it wouldn't matter as I did foundation maths so I went another route to college. I did a PLC then a degree in social care. I've been working and volunteering in the area since I left college 11 years ago. I like what I do now and I work in two completely different jobs (a residential service and a family service) so I am still gaining loads of experience but I would ideally like to work in an area I volunteered in, so will work towards that in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Not sure, think it was 30 or 32 points, not sure how that converts to modern points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

450+
    I know someone who got 190. Went on to do a PLC certificate course in something to do with computers. Used it as a feeder to get into another computer certificate course but dropped out as he didnt like it. He's now been happily in IT Support for the last 6/7 years or so, even managed to buy a house in dublin before he was 30 (no easy task).

So the Leaving Cert really is no indication of how successful someone may be in the real world, the real world is such a different application of skills that many may not realise they have during school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

300+
    350 which I was pretty disappointed with at the time. Did an English and history degree which I did great in. Now a software engineer which I enjoy lots. So pretty happy with the outcome. Wouldn't ever view the result as a reflection of intelligence and think system didn't suit me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Pompous wrote: »
    320 points. I stopped caring about the leaving cert, and school in general, some time in 5th year. It's a miracle I got that many points considering my lack of effort.

Spent 8 years working retails jobs or being unemployed, smoking weed and playing computer games. Also attempted to study animation during that time but I didn't last long.

At 25 I got my act together and went to college. I am now starting my final year of a computer science degree.

No regrets.
    Had a similar attitude towards school didnt do your 8 years but did a different style. Went to Canada/Australia and realised i needed a degree so went back to Uni last year
    I have so many regrets, was just calculating ive missed out on over 200k by not studying when i was younger :pac:.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Is nevar dids der leivin curt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

350+
    Your Face wrote: »
    Is nevar dids der leivin curt.
    Lol ya I went 2 da skool of hard knocks nd den d collage of lyf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Spider Web wrote: »
    Lol ya I went 2 da skool of hard knocks nd den d collage of lyf

Nevr minde de haterz

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭inajock

Didn't do the leaving cert as I didn't have the head for it at the time.left. school at 16.started an apprenticeship the next day..that was 30 years ago, life's not so simple for kids any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

300+
    I got around 400, started Arts degree in UCC dropped out after a month, did a level 7 business degree in WIT, worked in a dull finance job got sick of it. Went back and did a part time IT degree from DIT loved it, graduated last year, working in QA, much happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Got 410. Went to Uni to study Finance. Passed 1st year but got a f/t civil service job so continued studying for a degree in Business Studies, then a post grad in Mgnt, a Post Grad in IT and other diplomas and certs at night. The good thing is they were all funded by the taxpayer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

450+
    I got 515 points but didn't really need that many because I just wanted to do an arts degree, which I loved.

After that, I travelled for a while and then I did a hDip in primary teaching.

After teaching in Ireland for a while, I took a career break and taught overseas for a few years. I learned so much and since coming back I feel kind of stifled teaching in the Irish system.

I'm lucky enough to have a career that I'm passionate about but even luckier to have a wonderful husband and a really happy family life. I've recently had a baby and I'm considering resigning to be a full time mum.

I'd love to set up my own independent school in the future or else some sort of nature based education centre.

So many of my school friends got far fewer points than me but are now far more financially successful.

I'm not too bothered about financial success, though. I want to enjoy life and do something good for the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

300+
    365 I think. Went to college. Did a BSc. Did a PhD. Worked in research. Went back to college. Currently doing a PME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Started the HPSS down in UL, (Arts Degree).

Dropped after a year and attempted to join the Navy. Was accepted into the Navy but was pulled back at the last moment by my father.

Was basically given an ultimatum, either go back to college or fcuk off.

So I went back and completed an LLB (which I hated)

Now I work with him in his business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

450+
    545 which completely surprised everyone considering I got 420 in the mocks.
    It was enough to get me into pharmacy in Trinity (I already had it in Scotland) where I went on to sit every exam twice! :pac:
    I hated my four years of studying, it all seemed so pointless because we were studying everything and anything except how to be a pharmacist!
    Nearly walked away from it a few times but I'm a stubborn prick and persevered.

On the other hand I came out of my shell altogether and have quite a strong group of friends from the course.
    Three year later, I'm absolutely loving being a pharmacist so have no regrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

545 which completely surprised everyone considering I got 420 in the mocks.
    It was enough to get me into pharmacy in Trinity (I already had it in Scotland) where I went on to sit every exam twice! :pac:
    I hated my four years of studying, it all seemed so pointless because we were studying everything and anything except how to be a  pharmacist!
    Nearly walked away from it a few times but I'm a stubborn prick and persevered.

On the other hand I came out of my shell altogether and have quite a strong group of friends from the course.
    Three year later, I'm absolutely loving being a pharmacist so have no regrets.

Lets not beat about the bush here. We all know why you're loving it. However, Mr. Ashcroft has some advice for you below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

350+
    405 points and I was devastated with it. I thought I'd get at least 500 but I burnt myself out studying around March/April.

I became an accountant but I really don't like being an accountant. If I could go back to 1st year, I would change the subjects that I kept up for the Junior Cert and ultimately the Leaving Cert too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I didn't do the Leaving Cert
    I got a rubbish Leaving Cert, found a niche I was good at and I've provided very well for my family for nearly 40 years. I obtained qualifications related to my job

I'm not sure if that will allow me retain my right to vote though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I can't remember but I remember winning IR£140 on a horse the day of the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

270. Did nowt for it and am kind of embarrassed about it now. I had so little interest, I went playing pitch and putt between exams (I could only get 6 holes in. Biggest regret was that one day I birdied the 6 and had to go back and do a second exam).

Went to college for 3 years and then did mainly call centre work. Went travelling, came home and got a proper job and got a degree. Am now in a pretty well paying management/office job that I enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Did the older leaving cert in late 80's, did little work, remember was a good summer and spent a lot of time on beach between exams, still managed to pass all subjects and got a few honours.
    Left Ireland not long after leaving cert, spent 10 years travelling the world having fun.
    Came home, mature student, got a 1.1 engineering degree, travelled the world again during recession, this time earning good money.
    Came home few years ago, doing well.
    Best thing I ever did was not going to college after leaving cert, in hindsight was too young and had no idea what to study, ended up my career sort of chose me, who knew... turned out I was pretty good at something...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

450+
    It was either 520 or 525, actually can't remember. I needed about 490 to do Journalism in Dublin at the time (lol that they were ever that high for a media degree) so off I went to Journalism school and then worked as a high-flying broadcast producer for the bones of a decade, before deciding I'd seen enough war zones to last me a lifetime and moving into the land of tech start-ups.

Currently work in client management for a bigger tech company and am about to start my MBA. Still secretly wish I had skipped broadcast and tried to write books instead. But sure ya can't be dreaming forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I got over 500 but less than 550 points, this was in the mid nineties. I think when a person states their points they should also indicate when they sat the LC. As can be seen from the below link, the percentage of people scoring 500 points has increased over time.

https://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=points

1995: 3.8% of candidates scored 500+ that year
    2000: 5.7%
    2005: 8.0%
    2010: 8.6%
    2015: 10.3%

I've had discussions with people boasting about their children's LC points who didn't like it when I pointed out that 500 points or whatever isn't necessarily as impressive as it used to be.

Leaving aside the dick measuring stuff, my primary degree is in science and I also have other degrees which I did while working. I currently work in a scientific area and based on Revenue stats for single male employees, my salary is in about the top 10% for that cohort. However, the Revenue stats include people much younger than me, people who never went to third level and, I think, part time workers. Were I to compare myself with third level graduates my age who work full time, I'd say my income would be average at best.

For a science grad I believe i'm one of the lucky ones. I would advise people starting out to stay well away from science i.e. chemistry biology physics. As a career choice, STEM (or at least the "S" part of it) is way over hyped.

Based on my experience, the correlation between LC points and career success isn't particularly strong. The most successful people from my school year (they are on incomes of 150-200k+) got solid but not spectacular LC results in the 350-450 point range and went into IT, law, business or banking. Several of the top performers did science and have underachieved in their careers. Similar story with some of my friends from third level most of whom were top people in their respective schools yet have been struggling in their careers for nearly 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

350+
    I got 420. I didn't lift a finger in school. I'd planned on doing a science degree in UCD but couldn't in the end. I've worked in the insurance industry for almost two decades.

I am working on my fourth college degree and have several professional qualifications.

I only caught the learning bug after I left school. I felt school was wholly unfulfilling and no challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

425. I repeated and got 430 :pac:
    I had to repeat because I failed maths the first time around.
    Ended up studying English and Sociology and Politics.
    I did a Masters in Public Advocacy and Activism which is about as useful as an empty tea bag.
    I begin my second Masters in Social Work next week.
    I am also broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

300 or less
    385, I didn't really do a tap. I wanted to work with horses so only stayed in school to keep the mammy happy.

Then a few years later the reality of hard manual labor outside for minuscule pay and a lot of abuse dawned and I went back to college and did a b.comm. now I have a cushy office job and miss the horses like nothing else... I'm just never happy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

While some of ye wouldn't be allowed to vote, I suspect the same chap wouldn't want me to breed based on my LC score.

I practically did zero homework from the third year onward and really, really enjoyed by secondary school daze days.

However, I did finally grow up (bah humbug) and got a professional qualification (level 9 equivalent) and went back to get a Uni degree by night (mostly as a hobby).

I have done and continue to do well by most measures. And I always did quite well from a network point of view. Recently got contacted by a multi published Doctor (Professor) well known in his speciality to work on a business opportunity.

With that said, I've always admired those that did well in the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Four hundred and something. Not enough to go to Galway with my group of friends, which seemed like a disaster at the time, but they all lived together and were on the lash all the time and I think only 1 of the 4 ever graduated, whereas I had to make my own way and ended up doing fine by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

450+
    All I did was the homework but no study or anything. I won't say what I got but it was very close to 600. Went on to do a course for 540 points which I hate. I will either study medicine, computer science or beauty therapy afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

560 (595 with bonus points) in 1994.
    First in school in DATS aptitude testing.
    Medical degree.
    Masters in Neuroscience.

Not working currently. Can't stand the culture/bull**** in Medicine.

Going back to college to do something I'm really good at and want to do hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

450+
    575 in 2003. Well enough to do engineering so was under no pressure to get points which may have helped.

Got a 1st class honours, automotive engineer, self-employed, work out foreign, renovating a barn in the south of France but most importantly met the girl of my dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

enda1 wrote: »
    575 in 2003. Well enough to do engineering so was under no pressure to get points which may have helped.

Got a 1st class honours, automotive engineer, self-employed, work out foreign, renovating a barn in the south of France but most importantly met the girl of my dreams.

Eh... you did get points that helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

450+
    YFlyer wrote: »
    Eh... you did get points that helped.

I only need like 400 or something. I knew I'd get them without trying. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but it's just the way it is.

So having no pressure on myself the leaving cert was quite enjoyable and allowed me to maybe do better in some subjects that I was less good in without having the stress and pressure of necessity weighing over me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I feel like a dunce having read the first few posts with yer 500+ points :D:D

I did my leaving a few years ago back in 1994 :P and got 285. I was a grafter believe it or not but I wasn't happy with my results so I repeated the following year. I was hoping to make 350 to do a BA in Arts in Maynooth but only managed 335. I was gutted. I did a PLC course in Moate, BTEC in Social Studies and Social Care. It was a two year course but I only did one year, opting to go to England with my best friend instead and the rest as they say, is history.

I've chopped and changed jobs over the years but did a good stint as a Registered Childminder from home. I'm now an SNA since the last 4 years and I'm happy out. This is my calling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

300+
    375 I think. I hardly studied and smoked dope and chased women and drank beer and made friends and memories and due to issues with being kicked out of school and stuff I did the leaving in one year
    I did a year of electronic engineering degree but decided it wasn't for me (probably was but I was burnt out with education at that stage )
    So then I became self employed aged 19 and worked 69 hours a week and realised that I should probably go back to college
    So I did a degree in chemistry and half way through realised it wasn't for me but I finished it cos I'd done that before and I needed to learn to Finish what I started

So then I became self employed again and worked 70 hours a week week and then I got a management job from another self employed grafter and I work d 40 hours a week for him and 20 for me and was happy enough
    Then he folded up so I started my own 3 times a charm busin as filling the hole his larger business left behind
    My first month in that business I made €35,000 gross profit . That's not in my pocket cos I'd borrowed heavaily and had massive rent and stuff but I made 200k befor tax that year
    i have no idea what I'm ment to do but hard work and the ability to know that getting back on it when you fail is the secret to doing it
    I'm no longer self employed I run a business for someone else and while I make a lot less money it's much less stressful
    Doss in your teen early twenties
    Study in your mid twenties
    Work in your thirties
    And dial it back when you hit 40
    Or work hard in school and get a decent leaving
    I Donno it's 99% luck I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

It doesn't matter how I did, cos if boards taught me anything, I can blame all my failings on women or immigrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

300+
    If I remember correctly, I got 375 points, after which I opted out of college and became a pro-wrestler (and a fairly mediocre one at that, but sure with those points I was used to mediocrity by that stage). Due to the head trauma I likely suffered in that, I'd say I'd score a solid 120 if I sat today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

450+
    500 points on the button. Currently have done 3 out of 5 years in Architecture. Have wanted to be one since I was a kid and have loved it so far!

Points, if you can get the ones you want, are so pointless. So many replies of people who love what they do and achieved lowish points and many others who smashed it out of the park and have since changed careers.

It's all relative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

pitifulgod wrote: »
    350 which I was pretty disappointed with at the time. Did an English and history degree which I did great in. Now a software engineer which I enjoy lots. So pretty happy with the outcome. Wouldn't ever view the result as a reflection of intelligence and think system didn't suit me.

How did you go from English and History to working as a SE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

480. Did a degree in Civil Engineering. Then a MEngSc (by research), followed by a PhD. Ten years of education and hard graft to be called doctor! Currently a prof in a university.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

300 or less
    I got 320, should have done a lot better but didn't. After the LC I did an electricians apprenticeship and when that dried up in the recession I went to college through one of those access certificates and got a degree in electronic engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

300+
    How did you go from English and History to working as a SE?

Conversion course, I've been always pretty oriented to computer science in general so didn't find it to be a major challenge to move to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Lets not beat about the bush here. We all know why you're loving it. However, Mr. Ashcroft has some advice for you below.

Was the song about his dad's terminal cancer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement