Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD GN

Options
  • 09-09-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello. I'm an incoming first year in TCD for general nursing. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if I will need to buy books for certain classes and overall how much would be a good budget to have 😬🙈 thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Use the library. It's a pet peeve of mine that some students ignore the fact all your books are there waiting for you. Go for the older tattered copies that are full of underlines and highlights from previous students, that's half the work done for you. Lol In all seriousness though you can go through books fast, as in you might only use one chapter or even just a paragraph in some random chapter, for some random module you do in first year and never go near that book again so the library and the libraries online catalogue and ebooks are the way to go wherever possible. Also if it's not online in the libraries catalogue (you'd be surprised how many books haven't become ebooks yet) you can find them sometimes online through google, sometimes. It's also not all about books, you will read journals, research papers and articles etc. They libraries have hard of some and lots more online. And if your lecturer is good they will give you lots of links to things.

When you go to your first classes your lecturers will give you required (they stuff you have to read but never will) and recommended reading lists (the stuff you say you will read but never will). No one in the history of ever has read everything they are told to read in college. They might however suggest a couple of core books to buy that would be covered a lot in your degree. But you don't have to buy them. You could be paying anything from 50-100 euro, if not probably more for some books new so thats why I'd go to the library if you can. Also try getting them 2nd hand as it is good for the trees too! I also wouldn't buy anything unless you are told to by your lecturers as new editions get released, curriculums update, and lecturers themselves change and retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nicole_29

DeeAvery wrote: »
    Use the library. It's a pet peeve of mine that some students ignore the fact all your books are there waiting for you. Go for the older tattered copies that are full of underlines and highlights from previous students, that's half the work done for you. Lol In all seriousness though you can go through books fast, as in you might only use one chapter or even just a paragraph in some random chapter, for some random module you do in first year and never go near that book again so the library and the libraries online catalogue and ebooks are the way to go wherever possible. Also if it's not online in the libraries catalogue (you'd be surprised how many books haven't become ebooks yet) you can find them sometimes online through google, sometimes. It's also not all about books, you will read journals, research papers and articles etc. They libraries have hard of some and lots more online. And if your lecturer is good they will give you lots of links to things.

When you go to your first classes your lecturers will give you required (they stuff you have to read but never will) and recommended reading lists (the stuff you say you will read but never will). No one in the history of ever has read everything they are told to read in college. They might however suggest a couple of core books to buy that would be covered a lot in your degree. But you don't have to buy them. You could be paying anything from 50-100 euro, if not probably more for some books new so thats why I'd go to the library if you can. Also try getting them 2nd hand as it is good for the trees too! I also wouldn't buy anything unless you are told to by your lecturers as new editions get released, curriculums update, and lecturers themselves change and retire.

Thank you so much!!

Advertisement