Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffeyside Cycleway fun cycle tomorrow

Options
  • 09-09-2017 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Mods, if there's already a thread, please merge, but I couldn't see one. Tomorrow morning (Sunday 10 September 2017) at 11:00 there's a fun cycle in support of the Liffey Cycleway.

Meet at 11 at the Wellington Testimonial in the Phoenix Park, cycle all around the world for sport, parents, kids, lots of fun.

For we'll have little childer-en
    And we'll rear them neat and clea-yan
    To shout "Up Liffey Cycleway"
    And to cycle, sun or rain…

427458.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chuchote wrote: »
    Meet at 11 10.30 at the Wellington Testimonial in the Phoenix Park, cycle all around the world for sport, parents, kids, lots of fun.

FYP ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

won't be able to make it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That's an illegal (and dangerous) right turn in phibsboro. What's the story there?

OK I looked it up, there's going to be Garda support
    http://www.dublincycling.ie/events/liffey-cycle-one-final-push

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd love to know how they expect to get numbers on these rides if they don't advertise them.

beauf wrote: »
    I'd love to know how they expect to get numbers on these rides if they don't advertise them.

DCC crew have been distributing leaflets for the past two weeks as well as pushing all social channels.

DIYfdyhW4AApI6I.jpg

• Advertisement

Not heard of it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Not heard of it once.

Well, you have now :)

Well, you have now :)

A good bunch of my office used to attend these. Now none of us do because we never hear about them in time to plan for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

A good bunch of my office used to attend these. Now none of us do because we never hear about them in time to plan for them.

I commute via Harolds X Bridge and they were located there handing out leaflets a couple of times over the past few weeks during rush hour in the morning and evening. They're also promoting it heavily via social media and on their website. They also have a newsletter you can sign up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It had a good turnout this morning despite the showers. Well done to everyone who came out.

• Advertisement

Beauf, if you join Dublin Cycling Campaign (€20 a year) you'll hear about them. http://www.dublincycling.ie/

I'd reckon there were more than 1,000 people along today. Didn't know if I'd be able to make it but got there, it was great. We finished up outside Bang Bang cafe in Phibsborough with local traditional musicians playing and coffee and tea and chocolate biscuit cake on offer!

The Gardaí were fantastic. At first they sent two guards, then when they saw the size of the cycle they rolled out a load of bikes and motorbikes and garda cars along the length of the quays, sending us through red lights most of the time and then stopping us and directing traffic through.

https://twitter.com/Dub_Bleeper/status/906863900553072647

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Not heard of it once.

Personally I heard about it through Facebook by following Dublin City Cycling Campaign a good few weeks ago - plus with the leaflets along the route - not sure what other outlets they use but they were very vocal on those fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was there too. Very good turn-out. Nice cross-section of people who cycle.

(This is quite tangential but there were some interesting bikes too. I saw a front-drive electric bike; front wheel was like a trispoke, but with a battery strapped to the fork, and the rim seemed to be driven along by rollers at the end of the spokes. There was an electric fat bike too. Also met an acquaintance with a Dutch parent-and-child tandem, and quite a few cargo bikes too, including Raven the dog in his green cargo bike.)

Publicity for the event seemed good to me. If you read this forum with some frequency, or follow any of the prominent cycling people on Twitter, it should have come up, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

For what it's worth, this was posted about on boards approx 2 weeks ago:
    Moflojo wrote: »
    Dublin Cycling Campaign is holding its biggest cycling demonstration of the year on Sunday 10th of September. The aim of the cycle will, again, be to show support for the proposed Liffey Cycle Route.

The upcoming Liffey Cycle is incredibly important because Dublin City Council's Transport Committee is due to make a decision on the Liffey Cycle Route later in September.

If you're free on Sunday 10th September please come support this cause and let's get the spine of a future Dublin cycle network built. Bring your friends, family, neighbours, colleagues, pets along with you on the day. The event will be family-friendly and will be marshalled by Dublin Cycling Campaign with the support of the Garda Traffic Corp.

426263.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you and your bunch follow DCC on Facebook or Twitter, you will hear about them well in time to plan to attend.

I'm not sure what more you would expect from a voluntary organisation with no staff. They're not exactly in a position to buy TV or radio advertising.

If you and your bunch follow DCC on Facebook or Twitter, you will hear about them well in time to plan to attend.

I'm not sure what more you would expect from a voluntary organisation with no staff. They're not exactly in a position to buy TV or radio advertising.

Besides - in an outrageous act of anti-cyclist spite ;) the Garda Commissioner timed her resignation retirement announcement for just this afternoon, so this one won't get any publicity that might make people interested in future Liffey Cycles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the Garda Commissioner timed her resignation for just this afternoon
    well, *someone* timed her resignation for this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

*Retirement. An important distinction. :)

Enjoyed the cycle today, could only hang about for the length of the Quays but the atmosphere was really good.

http://pca.st/cCPl

Pat Kennys coverage, reporter getting it right but Pat missing the mark as usual.

ED E wrote: »

Pat Kennys coverage, reporter getting it right but Pat missing the mark as usual.

"The Liffey Cycle Route - so-called" - Pat Kenny's intro. Hmm.
    *Retirement. An important distinction. :)

Enjoyed the cycle today, could only hang about for the length of the Quays but the atmosphere was really good.

You missed the chocolate biscuit cake and traditional music outside Bang Bang!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

ED E wrote: »

Kenny is absolutely insufferable. He obviously has no idea that it's a motor tax not a road tax, and based on the size of the engine and the emissions output, wheres the combustion engine on a push bike Pat? He also lives in a fairy-tale land where motorists can do no harm, and everyone on a bike is a wheeling 14 year old giving him the finger.

Reporter never challenged him, lovely unbalanced segment. muck

papu wrote: »
    Reporter never challenged him

Well, the reporter is effectively an employee of the programme, he can't very well…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

papu wrote: »
    Kenny is absolutely insufferable. He obviously has no idea that it's a motor tax not a road tax, and based on the size of the engine and the emissions output, wheres the combustion engine on a push bike Pat?
    Oh he knows it alright - whens the last time ya heard a Bike Manufacturer advertising on Newstalk/INM? Motoring is big advertising €€€ for the media.

Well, the reporter is effectively an employee of the programme, he can't very well…

Tell that to Paddy O'Gorman!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It really was appallingly poor radio. Book ended no doubt by a piece on obesity (what can be done?!) & another on insurance ripoffs and the rising cost of motoring.

If only there was an alternative eh?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    (This is quite tangential but there were some interesting bikes too. I saw a front-drive electric bike; front wheel was like a trispoke, but with a battery strapped to the fork, and the rim seemed to be driven along by rollers at the end of the spokes.

This seems to be what I saw that day:
    GeoOrbital’s Front Wheel
    http://www.coolthings.com/geoorbital-wheel-electric-bicycle/

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

GeoOrbital’s Front Wheel

I spotted that too on the day. Pretty cool really.

GeoOrbital’s Front Wheel

There was a controversy over that type of adaptation a while back. Geo werent involved but the other two big players were.

asshole-flykly.jpg?itok=z-CC-4vr

http://thebiketube.com/blog/copenhagen-vs-flykly-electric-bike-wheel-who-came-first-and-whos-full-****

How far you can go with launching a product that is very similar to a pre-existing product?

I was thinking about this, because the Foldylock and Foldylock Compact are really in every important way identical to the Abus Bordo locks and I would have assumed copyright law would have kicked in by now, but apparently not.

• Advertisement

DfVDWazXUAAkzIt.jpg
    https://twitter.com/CiaranCuffe/status/1005784360895832064

Only time you'll see a child cycling the Quays. Lovely day for it.

Advertisement