Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sides of pictures chopped off

• 09-09-2017 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

I have three TVs in my place - an LG 19", an LG 20" and a Techwood 32", all of which are HD ready and have 16:9 screens.

Despite this, and in particular despite the Techwood's size, the pictures on all three are displayed with the sides chopped off. :mad:

Changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 doesn't work - I get the same horribly cropped pictures, only narrower and with black bars at the left and right (as is normal for *uncropped* 4:3 pictures on 16:9 screens).

It's a real pain when watching Final Score on the BBC, especially with that show's new graphics. :mad: And it also means that DOGs aren't displayed in full - I only see the 'E', 'U' and part of the first 'R' in the Eurosport DOG, for instance.

I believe TV pictures are supposed to have "safe areas" at the sides, that *can* be cropped without interfering with graphics or DOGs. Well, on my three TVs, it looks like more than just these "safe areas" have been cropped... :mad:

I should probably point out that Virgin Media is my provider.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Have you accepted the risen Jesus as your lord and saviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check that the Virgin Media box has the picture setup to 16:9 Widescreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Check that the Virgin Media box has the picture setup to 16:9 Widescreen.

I have to confess that I don't have a box - just the most basic TV package with 17 channels. :o:o:o

Also, I'm not the only person in the house - I live with my mother and stepfather, and all three of us don't see much point in paying for any channels that we have no real interest in and hence will probably never watch (indeed, of the channels we do have, we have no real interest in MTV or E4).

That said, my stepfather also doesn't like seeing these horribly cropped pictures on Final Score and the like.

So is this problem definitely to do with VM then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I have to confess that I don't have a box - just the most basic TV package with 17 channels. :o:o:o

That's your problem I am afraid, they are not broadcast properly on the analogue system that Virgin use for the 17 channels

How are you receiving Eurosport, it's not one of the 17?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

That's your problem I am afraid, they are not broadcast properly on the analogue system that Virgin use for the 17 channels

How are you receiving Eurosport, it's not one of the 17?

Of the channels I have, 15 of them - including Eurosport - I've been receiving ever since the days when Virgin was Chorus.

(Of course, UTV NI was received back then as well. And I received 3e's predecessor, Channel 6, more or less as soon as it launched in 2006.)

TV5 Monde and At The Races are also among these channels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement