Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI CEC recommends members rejects LR 2. 9th Sept 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

ASTI nuacht just out. Time to start ticking that NO box!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

km79 wrote: »

Holy **** they bailed already?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Holy **** they bailed already?!

Completely spineless, are they going against their members vote? TUI will be next to fold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Why am I not surprised. That's it over then.

• Advertisement

rossean wrote: »
    It was said during a discussion of the new JC during a staff meeting. Couldn't have been more formal.

A letter from your shop Stewart to bom asking them to confirm in writing that they , through their agent are campaigning for a yes vote. That should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised. That's it over then.

Negativity isn't going to help matters, it will only pull off yet another self fulfilling prophecy.

It's downright treachery from Noonan and the INTO leadership and loads of members are livid. No question but that a huge aim of this cynical move is to derail the ASTI vote.

So let's get going to our branch meetings and campaigning for that NO.

If we don't secure a No we will be forever more accused of selling out the LPTs not once but twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

I am so annoyed at the INTO as an ASTI member. How dare they make a decision that supercedes their members' vote. As ironic as itsounds, it did happen to us with our special convention but we are currently unofficially inside LRA1 atm.

This is really causing me anger and I am now even more encouraged to vote NO in this agreement. How dare Noonan, a disgrace. I hope all INTO members cancel their membership now after this nonsense.

acequion wrote: »
    Negativity isn't going to help matters, it will only pull off yet another self fulfilling prophecy.

It's downright treachery from Noonan and the INTO leadership and loads of members are livid. No question but that a huge aim of this cynical move is to derail the ASTI vote.

If we don't secure a No we will be forever more accused of selling out the LPTs not once but twice!

Not negativity, reality. Why vote no when 700 shills can force us to accept it anyway. Personally i never voted yes and never will but knowing our vote can be superceded by a small kabal must play on peoples mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

All the LPTS in our school left for the TUI to avoid striking last time so there will be no accusations in our school ...........

• Advertisement

All the LPTS in our school left for the TUI to avoid striking last time so there will be no accusations in our school ...........

Ya but you know what I mean km!! We will be accused of selling them out. Not necessarily by the LPTs themselves, but that convenient narrative will be everywhere in the media as it is already re the the actual cutting of new entrants pay during CP1. As in, "ye only signed that agreement to mind yerselves." Total media spin as we well know but people believe it.

So if ASTI actually vote for this agreement despite the CEC recommendation and despite passing a motion at convention to say we would "vigorously oppose" all future agreements that did not fix the pay apartheid,we will be listening to it for years!

As well as weaken ourselves further.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

A stunning display of cowardice by those 16 CEC members.

This is blatant overturning of a democratic decision. Interesting yet worrying times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Icsics wrote:
    Completely spineless, are they going against their members vote? TUI will be next to fold

We voted against but our leadership is spineless. Ridiculous.

We voted against but our leadership is spineless. Ridiculous.

Are you INTO wirelessdude? Is there any way the members can challenge this? I mean it beggars belief that this could now be law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Not surprised with Nunan's new role as president of ICTU. Teacher's conditions being decided by IMPACT and SIPTU at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

acequion wrote:
    Are you INTO wirelessdude? Is there any way the members can challenge this? I mean it beggars belief that this could now be law.

Yeah I'm INTO. Branch meeting is gonna be fun. Our group is quite mouthy so CEC rep can expect to get it in the neck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

No question but that a huge aim of this cynical move is to derail the ASTI vote.

And I fear it will. Absolutely no appetite in my school to be out on our own again like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

People on this thread are railing against the INTO leadership's decision to accept the ICTU majority vote.

But INTO members had to have known that each public-sector union that joins the ICTU agrees to be bound by a public-sector pay deal if the majority of the ICTU accepts it even if the majority of the membership of a union that is part of the ICTU rejects it.

Surely, the INTO's decision to join the ICTU in the first place was made democratically, wasn't it?

Can INTO members, like their ASTI counterparts, petition for a special convention to take place (That's what happened with the current ASTI campaign earlier this year)? If so, then the idea of the INTO leaving the ICTU (which is what the ASTI did 17 years ago, I think, but it rejoined the ICTU a few years later) can be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Game over. I hate to sound defeatist but we know where it's going to end. Nunan is serving no interest to her members

Into have released a statement saying they haven't accepted LRA2 but have decided to take part in pay commission bull****. Make of it what you will.
    http://www.into.ie/ROI/NewsEvents/LatestNews/Title,43289,en.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Into have released a statement saying they haven't accepted LRA2 but have decided to take part in pay commission bull****. Make of it what you will.
    http://www.into.ie/ROI/NewsEvents/LatestNews/Title,43289,en.php

They have repudiated it. I take it that they won't engage in industrial action so won't face fempi. Similar to what ASTI have been doing since June. I'd say the ASTI will do the same thing if there is a no vote in an effort to stop the government from withdrawing the increases and increments.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    They have repudiated it. I take it that they won't engage in industrial action so won't face fempi. Similar to what ASTI have been doing since June. I'd say the ASTI will do the same thing if there is a no vote in an effort to stop the government from withdrawing the increases and increments.
    Judging by latest nuacht, our union is softening us up for repudiation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Mardy Bum wrote: »

What are they repudiating? Sorry I'm getting a bit lost. How would they not face FEMPI?

dory wrote: »
    What are they repudiating? Sorry I'm getting a bit lost. How would they not face FEMPI?

They can play by the rules of lra1/2 and gov are happy, all the while claiming they refuse to accept inequality among teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

They can play by the rules of lra1/2 and gov are happy, all the while claiming they refuse to accept inequality among teachers.

So they are not repudiating. Just rejecting (for the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

dory wrote: »

As things stand, the Asti have yet to accept LRA 1. They have however stood down from Industrial action and therefore have recovered increments, 2 year cid etc.
    It appears that this is what the Into are going to do for Lra 2.
    This may not be a bad move when you think about it. Go in to this commission and then blow it up when the government falls and an election is coming. That is the time for strikes when you have politicians falling over themselves looking for votes. The last thing they want is angry parents giving it to them when they go knocking on doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Nunan is a thundering disgrace....then again there may be brown envelopes flying around,its amazing the number of B*stards that are into feathering their own nest .....and F**k the rest of us!

ethical wrote: »
    Nunan is a thundering disgrace....then again there may be brown envelopes flying around,its amazing the number of B*stards that are into feathering their own nest .....and F**k the rest of us!

Totally agree ethical. But like the old adage all it takes is for the good people to do nothing. Why is she let get away with this? Why is Liam Doran let get away with walking the nurses into it? Because nurses,like teachers and like all public servants in general, are too bloody compliant!

I had a peek at the INMO facebook page while their ballot was ongoing and loads of nurses felt they were being led into this agreement. Loads of accounts of information sessions and ballots taking place in inaccessible parts of large hospitals during extremely busy times when a lot of nurses couldn't get there and cast their votes. You could smell the set up and the sense of betrayal.

But until workers stick together and fight it, this endemic corruption will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well stall the ball... into have issued a press statement clarifying RTE news claims
    LATEST NEWS
    CLARIFICATION ON RTE NEWS ITEM
    The Central Executive Committee of the INTO met yesterday (Friday 22 September 2017).
    At the meeting it was decided to participate in the review of pay equality which will begin next month, a year ahead of what had been originally agreed. This was the only decision made at the meeting and it followed the union’s call for an early engagement on the issue of pay equality.
    The Executive did not make any decision in respect of the Public Service Stability Agreement, 2018-2020 which members overwhelmingly rejected earlier this year.

Date: Saturday, 23 September 17

Although, the cynic in me spotted the bold part above ... I presume govt would be delighted to promise the INTO early concessions -no doubt, only relevant to primary teacher t&c's- as again it would get the steal on the ASTI.

ASTI Pipped at the post again... tune in for more infighting and dreams of 1 union to rule them all.

The 3 unions should have gone in at the same time with the exact same brief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Shell shocked at INTO. To my mind, they're the only real union with any power. Local primary school closing for a day does a lot more damage to industry and commerce than any secondary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement