Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get an Irish exemption?

Options
  • 09-09-2017 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am in 2nd year and I am really finding Irish hard, I have been put into higher level but I don't think I can even handle ordinary level, besides I will probably never use it.

I was wondering if I was able to get an Irish exemption. I lived abroad for the first three years of my life and I went back abroad in 1st class for a year. I do not have dyslexia or anything similar.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Were you born in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sobelek11

spurious wrote: »
    Were you born in Ireland?

No, I was not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Then you can get an NUI exemption. You will not need to have Irish for entry to NUI courses, but it will not stop you having to attend classes.
    Nobody can force you into the exam.

http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/exemption.pdf

I would advise you to stick with it til the Junior and see how it goes. The actual standard of Irish needed to do well is quite low. A great deal of marks go for the oral test in the Leaving. Since you already have another language (myślę, że z twojego imienia jesteś Polak?), you will pick Irish up easy enough. It's really not that complicated, compared to some other languages.

If it's a nightmare for the Junior, then you can decide not to take it for the Leaving, but you never know, you might end up doing quite well. Your teachers have you in Higher, which is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sobelek11

spurious wrote: »
    Then you can get an NUI exemption. You will not need to have Irish for entry to NUI courses, but it will not stop you having to attend classes.
    Nobody can force you into the exam.

I would advise you to stick with it til the Junior and see how it goes. The actual standard of Irish needed to do well is quite low. A great deal of marks go for the oral test in the Leaving. Since you already have another language (myślę, że z twojego imienia jesteś Polak?), you will pick Irish up easy enough. It's really not that complicated, compared to some other languages.

If it's a nightmare for the Junior, then you can decide not to take it for the Leaving, but you never know, you might end up doing quite well. Your teachers have you in Higher, which is a good sign.

Ah, thanks a lot. I'll think about it. I wanted to do it for this year and see how it goes. And yes, I am from Poland lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sobelek11 wrote: »
    I am in 2nd year and I am really finding Irish hard, I have been put into higher level but I don't think I can even handle ordinary level, besides I will probably never use it.

I was wondering if I was able to get an Irish exemption. I lived abroad for the first three years of my life and I went back abroad in 1st class for a year. I do not have dyslexia or anything similar.
    No, you don't fit the criteria. If you haven't been assessed by an ed. psychol, then not a chance. Thankfully the DES is clamping down on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

No, you don't fit the criteria. If you haven't been assessed by an ed. psychol, then not a chance. Thankfully the DES is clamping down on this.

Not exempt from taking Irish classes, ie. sitting in classes. However almost no colleges require Irish for entry requirements bar those under NUI, but there's the NUI exemption which you're eligible for to sort that out.

Advertisement