Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Survey - should I get second opinion?

Options
  • 09-09-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

A few days ago I was recommended a structural surveyor by a mortgage broker. The survey came out ok but I am worried that the surveyor may be potentially not disclosing everything that may be wrong with the property as he may be working in the favor of the mortgage broker.

Maybe I'm paranoid. I'm thinking of getting another structural surveyor for a second opinion? I'd have to fork out another 400 quid. What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

What is causing this paranoia? It's normal for a broker to recommend a surveyor. Have you seen the report? Have you asked him what his report covers and how comprehensive it is?

We used the surveyor recommended by our broker and his report hid nothing, to be honest it never occurred to me that there would be some underhand tactics. 5yrs later the house is still standing and no issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

jon1981 wrote: »
    What is causing this paranoia? It's normal for a broker to recommend a surveyor. Have you seen the report? Have you asked him what his report covers and how comprehensive it is?

We used the surveyor recommended by our broker and his report hid nothing, to be honest it never occurred to me that there would be some underhand tactics. 5yrs later the house is still standing and no issues :)

On the report it states there is some signs of rising damp. The surveyor said there are a few small jobs that could be done in time but nothing major. I'm just worried in case there might be issues that even the structural surveyor may not have noticed. I have the full report, should I even show it to another surveyor to have a look and maybe they would charge me less than a full survey done again? Should I get a builder instead of a structural surveyor -maybe they would know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I can just say that I had such bad luck with the surveyor, but I know it's not the norm.
    We bought a house, got the surveyor, he said that our renovation budget is healthy for what we're planning to do and what needs to be changed, I asked him like a million questions but he continuously said it's all good to go.
    Well, it's not and we're currently facing repairs of around 20k Euro because some parts that he could have detected are just in absolute bits and need replacing. I don't think though that this is the norm really.

But if it's a reputable surveyor, you should be fine, especially if the broker recommended him.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Without pulling the house apart the survey is only ever an indication of what can be seen at the surface. You're over thinking it by getting a second surveyor to check the first guy's work. It would be more beneficial to get a builder to quote for the work that needs done. I'd probably want to know if there is a damp proof membrane & if it's been breached & what will need to be done about the rising damp.
    To be honest a second hand house will always need some work done. As long as there are no major red flags you shouldn't need a second opinion on the first survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

400 euro for price of mind for one of the biggest purchase of your life ~ no brainer. The only think i found was that the surveyor whilst detailed and have a report unless its a show stopper he is going to give it the ok and point out stuff to be rectified in time.

The amount of time he has he wont be able to properly assess an issue and its potential cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

April 73 wrote: »
    Without pulling the house apart the survey is only ever an indication of what can be seen at the surface. You're over thinking it be getting a second surveyor to check the first guy's work. It would be more beneficial to get a builder to quote for the work that needs done. I'd probably want to know if there is a damp proof membrane & if it's been breached & what will need to be done about the rising damp.
    To be honest a second hand house will always need some work done. As long as there are no major red flags you shouldn't need a second opinion.

Could somebody recommend a decent and reliable builder? PM would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

one4one wrote: »
    Could somebody recommend a decent and reliable builder? PM would be lovely.

Where you live might be helpful ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 travinci

sending pm

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

one4one wrote: »
    The survey came out ok but I am worried that the surveyor may be potentially not disclosing everything that may be wrong with the property as he may be working in the favor of the mortgage broker.
    Normally, such concern would only be justified if the recommendation came from the seller's side or if the broker was profoundly desperate for the commission (this would only work if it was this property or nothing, it doesn't work if you are unsure between properties).

Did the surveyor miss anything that you have your own concerns about?

Does the surveyor have professional indemnity insurance? What limitations did the surveyor express, e.g. construction not supervised, no opening up done?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

The one failing of building surveys, i have found, is that the surveyors cannot open up walls, lift floorboards etc., and generally if they give you an estimated cost for likely works it is difficult for them to price for any issues which have not been properly investigated.

I'm working on a large project at the moment, over 200 building surveys being reviewed and quoted against, the estimated cost of repairs in the surveys are under-quoted in almost all by at least 50%. So, by all means get a building survey carried out - it's an important guide for you - but read the provisos therein, as they are limited in there scope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement