Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Primary teaching subject combos

Options
  • 09-09-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I'm considering doing a Masters in Post Primary teaching with Hibernia.
    I have a degree in Geography (with Spanish as a minor). Therefore, Spanish would be my second subject and geography my first.
    In terms of job prospects, is this an attractive combo right now?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi,

I'm considering doing a Masters in Post Primary teaching with Hibernia.
    I have a degree in Geography (with Spanish as a minor). Therefore, Spanish would be my second subject and geography my first.
    In terms of job prospects, is this an attractive combo right now?

Many thanks

Have you Spanish to degree level?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RosalieMcFall

Have you Spanish to degree level?

Hello,

Yes, my degree is actually a BSc Honours in Environmental Science and Spanish.
    The Environmental Science part satisfies the modular requirements to teach Geography.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don't know how many students take Spanish, it isn't taught in a lot of schools asfaik. Geography we have never had issues getting staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think Spanish is on the rise though... Anecdotally anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hello,

Yes, my degree is actually a BSc Honours in Environmental Science and Spanish.
    The Environmental Science part satisfies the modular requirements to teach Geography.

Thank you

Firstly make sure you can be registered with both subjects. You can do that here: http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Registration/How-do-I-register-/Qualifications/Post-primary-Qualified-in-Ireland/Qualification-Requirements-for-Post-Primary-Teachers-Qualifications-Awarded-in-Ireland-. html

You will find that you will pick up Spanish easier than geography hours. Only last week, there were a lot of Spanish vacancies on educationposts. A lot of schools are now offering two languages so Spanish is seen to be easier than German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

What part of the country are you in? You should be fairly safe with Spanish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Keep an eye on educationposts over the next while to see how many jobs come up for those subjects. Spanish would be much better than Geography from what I've seen. But doesn't sound like you're quaified to teach it. Could the modules you've done and see if they satusfy the TC. You'll also have to check they're the right modules, literature etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

You should be OK with Spanish, it's a great subject to have and definitely on the rise, to the demise of French and German in many schools. It's a good mixture with Geography.. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

Ensure though that the Teaching Council will recognise you to teach Spanish. You need to have studied a certain amount of credits in Spanish literature/cultural studies as well as the language as part of your degree, and you'll also have to have lived in a Spanish-speaking country for at least 3 months. If you've done that though, it should be fine.

Firstly make sure you can be registered with both subjects. You can do that here: http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Registration/How-do-I-register-/Qualifications/Post-primary-Qualified-in-Ireland/Qualification-Requirements-for-Post-Primary-Teachers-Qualifications-Awarded-in-Ireland-. html

You will find that you will pick up Spanish easier than geography hours. Only last week, there were a lot of Spanish vacancies on educationposts. A lot of schools are now offering two languages so Spanish is seen to be easier than German.

Thank you. That's very helpful. I'll check if I can be registered with both subjects.
    R

• Advertisement

What part of the country are you in? You should be fairly safe with Spanish.

I'm in Donegal.

dory wrote: »
    Keep an eye on educationposts over the next while to see how many jobs come up for those subjects. Spanish would be much better than Geography from what I've seen. But doesn't sound like you're quaified to teach it. Could the modules you've done and see if they satusfy the TC. You'll also have to check they're the right modules, literature etc.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

wtd2008 wrote: »
    You should be OK with Spanish, it's a great subject to have and definitely on the rise, to the demise of French and German in many schools. It's a good mixture with Geography.. Go for it!

Thank you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Meant to say 'count' not 'could'. You need 60 credits but also have to do certain things like Spanish literature.

Advertisement