Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Breath test scandal

• 09-09-2017 8:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Why has there been no action against Gardai and their superiors for the falsification of of breath test samples?

How can no action be taken. Its unbelievable and seems to reinforce the idea of how corrupt this country is?

Not to mention the loss of respect and trust for the police force from the general public. Even after the anti water metering policing fiasco.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a terror, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I was wondering about that the other day. Surely every record in the system has some identifier of who created it - so why not find out the story behind every fraudulent record? If there's a plausible reason for it, let it come to light, and if not, surely that's a sackable offence? I'm sure there are plenty of folk ready and waiting to fill the boots of any discharged gardai.

Autochange wrote: »
    Why has there been no action against Gardai and their superiors for the falsification of of breath test samples?

I thought the signals were that they would face disciplinary action?

Presume it can be a slow process, trawling though all the records and then cross referencing it with records of prosecutions to work out which were false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The real scandal is that O'Sullivan is still there and FG/FF are still backing her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Donal55 wrote: »
    The real scandal is that O'Sullivan is still there and FG/FF are still backing her.

I'm not saying you're wrong as I just don't know but why is the garda commissioner in the wrong here? Is it known the she gave the order for the false test to be input to PULSE? I've not really been following the story at all but I can't wrap my head around why people are calling for her resignation off the bat? Can you give me a quick synopsis? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

We don't do accountability for the establishment in Ireland.

Miike wrote: »
    I'm not saying you're wrong as I just don't know but why is the garda commissioner in the wrong here? Is it known the she gave the order for the false test to be input to PULSE? I've not really been following the story at all but I can't wrap my head around why people are calling for her resignation off the bat? Can you give me a quick synopsis? :confused:

Too many scandals under her watch, breath tests, false speeding convictions, carry on with finances at Templemore,....
    The buck should stop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Too many scandals under her watch, breath tests, false speeding convictions, carry on with finances at Templemore,....
    The buck should stop there.

The "buck" shouldn't bypass those on the ground actually doing those things either.
    The problem is much bigger than "senior management"...and trying to scratch all the Fleas on to them is just a deflection tactic to avoid dealing with the real problem which extends from top to bottom.

archer22 wrote: »
    The "buck" shouldn't bypass those on the ground actually doing those things either.
    The problem is much bigger than "senior management"...and trying to scratch all the Fleas on to them is just a deflection tactic to avoid dealing with the real problem which extends from top to bottom.

I agree fully. Sack her and work all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I'm wondering what the possible implications will be,if any for people who may have been put off the road for drink driving over the periods that these tests happened?i know those put off the road more than likely had blood/urine samples to prove guilt but some part of me think others may have grounds to question convictions etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Garda breath tests : I smell a rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blanc von lobster

If they couldn't find out who was on duty when Clare Daly was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving, I don't have much confidence in a swift conclusion to this episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

http://www.thejournal.ie/breath-test-submissions-3589481-Sep2017/

an interesting perspective and makes the issue fairly clear

pressure from above to create statistics and very little emphasis put on accuracy or not

i agree heads should roll but lets make sure its the right heads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't understand the hullabaloo about this scandal. It's very obvious to anybody who is on the road in any capacity, whether driving, being a passenger, cycling, walking that there are hardly any alcohol checks. The figures are no surprise to anyone.

If the real figures had been reported there wouldn't be any discussion regardless so the false / real figures have no effect. The real problem is still the same as it has always been. We have revenue oriented speed checks at opportunistic locations during the day and zero checkpoints outside full pub car parks at night.

I don't understand the hullabaloo about this scandal. It's very obvious to anybody who is on the road in any capacity, whether driving, being a passenger, cycling, walking that there are hardly any alcohol checks. The figures are no surprise to anyone.

If the real figures had been reported there wouldn't be any discussion regardless so the false / real figures have no effect. The real problem is still the same as it has always been. We have revenue oriented speed checks at opportunistic locations during the day and zero checkpoints outside full pub car parks at night.

They said they carried out a massive amount more tests than they did.each test and check point costs money to carry out.that money would have came from a budget.now it turns out that they were over reported by 100% in most areas.now even from a financial point of view we'd have to ask where the money for all of these non existant test went and where the man hours for all these false tests went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Noreen O'Sullivan needs another month on the job to get her gold plated pension. As we all know incompetence and malfeasance in the public service is to be rewarded with a handy job in Europe and/or a generous pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

smurgen wrote: »
    They said they carried out a massive amount more tests than they did.each test and check point costs money to carry out.that money would have came from a budget.now it turns out that they were over reported by 100% in most areas.now even from a financial point of view we'd have to ask where the money for all of these non existant test went and where the man hours for all these false tests went.

What financial cost are you talking about? If a Garda says he breathalysed fourteen drivers at a checkpoint instead of six then how is that costing the tax payer financially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Yes there is something really twisted about that.

She should have gone last year. It just encoursges the rot.

I dont see the Gardai ever recovering their credibility now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Noreen O'Sullivan needs another month on the job to get her gold plated pension. As we all know incompetence and malfeasance in the public service is to be rewarded with a handy job in Europe and/or a generous pension.

Nail on the head. How many people in the Central Bank were punished, and they damaged the country much worse.

• Advertisement

What financial cost are you talking about? If a Garda says he breathalysed fourteen drivers at a checkpoint instead of six then how is that costing the tax payer financially?

Material costs.each breath test needs a once off use tube.opportunity cost also.police hours should be accounted for.what were the cops really doing when they were meant to be doing these checkpoints?also maybe some cops earned overtime while manning these imaginary checkpoints

Material costs.each breath test needs a once off use tube.

What? If they weren't doing the tests then why would the plastic tube be used?
    opportunity cost also.police hours should be accounted for.what were the cops really doing when they were meant to be doing these checkpoints?also maybe some cops earned overtime while manning these imaginary checkpoints

I haven't seen anything saying checkpoints weren't done. The issue is that many cars weren't being breathalysed at them.

She finally resigned. The massive pension be due.

Procurement costs and they have an expiry date :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What would be the cost to the state to buy 1.5m tubes?

If these never actually existed... nice earner...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The cost of Bonuses paid to Chief Superintendents and Superintendents for 'achieving' these targets. Targets that were never met as we now know. Is there a plan in place to retrieve this money for the exchequer? Will those who received bonuses based on ficticious statistics now be investigated for fraud?

I haven't seen anything saying checkpoints weren't done. The issue is that many cars weren't being breathalysed at them.

So the time spent administering breath tests was wasted. Lets put it into perspective. Assume a breath test takes 5 minutes to administer in total. That means given 500k were falsly reported rather than performed that 41,667 police hours are now unaccounted for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So the time spent administering breath tests was wasted. Lets put it into perspective. Assume a breath test takes 5 minutes to administer in total. That means given 500k were falsly reported rather than performed that 41,667 police hours are now unaccounted for.
    It's the time they were present at the checkpoint that was counted, not some time per test. It just seems like a badly designed reporting system, where there's pressure, either intentional or unintentional, to push the numbers upwards.

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's the time they were present at the checkpoint that was counted, not some time per test. It just seems like a badly designed reporting system, where there's pressure, either intentional or unintentional, to push the numbers upwards.

But they could have been carrying out other operations instead of standing around manning checkpoints

• Advertisement

It would make ya wonder about their overtime figures too.how much are those inflated?

But they could have been carrying out other operations instead of standing around manning checkpoints
    I'm not sure what your complaint is here, they did the checkpoints they say they did it seems, they misreported the number tested at these checkpoints. The same manpower was used regardless. Are you saying they should have done less checkpoints than they actually did?

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your complaint is here, they did the checkpoints they say they did it seems, they misreported the number tested at these checkpoints. The same manpower was used regardless. Are you saying they should have done less checkpoints than they actually did?

i'm saying that it sounds like they stood out at these checkpoints and done nothing. then they entered false breath tests to make it sound like they done something.A massive waste of time that could have been better spent solving crimes and protecting the community.

i'm saying that it sounds like they stood out at these checkpoints and done nothing. then they entered false breath tests to make it sound like they done something.A massive waste of time that could have been better spent solving crimes and protecting the community.
    Maybe, but I haven't seen anywhere suggesting they were just standing at these checkpoints watching cars go by. The trouble seemed to happen when due to lack of training, incompetence, or just plain intention, when reporting the stats after a checkpoint cars which were stopped but not breathalysed were reported as breathalysed, if no cars passed by in the middle of nowhere they reported a tokrn number stopped so the checkpoint wouldn't go unrecorded, or they say they didn't believe the accuracy of the stats to be important so guessed or overestimated the numbers. Nothing suggests they werent actually out there stopping drink drivers.

Just seems like a problem in the collecting of information, not in the actual quality of work.

Esel wrote: »
    What would be the cost to the state to buy 1.5m tubes?

If these never actually existed... nice earner...

Who said they never existed?
    So the time spent administering breath tests was wasted. Lets put it into perspective. Assume a breath test takes 5 minutes to administer in total.

30 seconds at most.
    That means given 500k were falsly reported rather than performed that 41,667 police hours are now unaccounted for.

Seems to be a bit of confusion there. They were still stopping cars and doing checkpoints, they just weren't breathalysing them.

Who said they never existed?

30 seconds at most.

Seems to be a bit of confusion there. They were still stopping cars and doing checkpoints, they just weren't breathalysing them.

so what were they doing? waving cars on? what use is that? Why did they enter tests that didn't exist? Also 30 seconds for a breath test? hahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wamwig

I'm more concerned about how widespread the misreporting is. I'd understand if it was one particular area but nationwide.....that's just showing it was normal practice to over state the numbers and everyone must have know it was going on

so what were they doing? waving cars on? what use is that?

Same thing they do at regular checkpoints.
    Why did they enter tests that didn't exist? Also 30 seconds for a breath test? hahahaha

Have you ever done one? You just blow in a tube for a few seconds.

Same thing they do at regular checkpoints.

Have you ever done one? You just blow in a tube for a few seconds.

so they just put a tube to your lips? they don't say anything? Is your car still rolling when this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It's a terror, isn't it?

Perhaps more than you imagine. My concern is that the Gardaí were not replacing the mouthpieces between breath tests. For all we know they could have been just wiping off the saliva of the previous driver with an old hanky and reusing it over and over out of laziness. Claiming to falsify test results does not seem as diabolical by comparison so hopefully that is all that happened, unacceptable as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

This isnt a scandal really

Its a guard who needs 20 tests in the pissíng rain going - NOPE - and blowing 19 and doing one fella. The heading back to the station for the tae!!

No-one was harmed here, not one of us can claim to have never done something similar in work!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Perhaps more than you imagine. My concern is that the Gardaí were not replacing the mouthpieces between breath tests. For all we know they could have been just wiping off the saliva of the previous driver with an old hanky and reusing it over and over out of laziness. Claiming to falsify test results does not seem as diabolical by comparison so hopefully that is all that happened, unacceptable as it is.

the tubes are disposable and you get to keep them afterwards.

O'Loan said today that the Gardai wasted roughly 125,000 hours falsifying breath tests.

O'Loan said today that the Gardai wasted roughly 125,000 hours falsifying breath tests.

Got a link for that? That's a lot of hours :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

the tubes are disposable and you get to keep them afterwards.
    Still no guarantee the mouthpieces were not being reused, I was breathalized once and was not given the mouthpiece. No doubt I would have been given it if I asked but how would I know the previous driver got his mouthpiece? I am not saying that is what was happening but the falsified results do raise the possibility.

Miike wrote: »
    Got a link for that? That's a lot of hours :eek:

She said it on the radio. She said it takes at least 5 mins to operate, replace the tube and log a breath test on the system.

They falsified 1,500,000 breath tests.

(1,500,000 * 5 / 60)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

She said it on the radio. She said it takes at least 5 mins to operate, replace the tube and log a breath test on the system.

(1,500,000 * 5 / 60)

except they didnt actually do the first two parts, did they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Still no guarantee the mouthpieces were not being reused, I was breathalized once and was not given the mouthpiece. No doubt I would have been given it if I asked but how would I know the previous driver got his mouthpiece? I am not saying that is what was happening but the falsified results do raise the possibility.

Been tested loadsa times

each time mouthpiece was unpackaged in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ardinn wrote: »
    This isnt a scandal really

Its a guard who needs 20 tests in the pissíng rain going - NOPE - and blowing 19 and doing one fella. The heading back to the station for the tae!!

No-one was harmed here, not one of us can claim to have never done something similar in work!!!
    No, the numbers are nothing remotely like that. Last figures I heard, they were fabricating about every second test.
    ardinn wrote: »
    Been tested loadsa times

each time mouthpiece was unpackaged in front of me.
    I've only been done the once, but again, it was in a sealed package.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

(1,500,000 * 5 / 60)

but isnt the point of the allegations that they didn't do the first two . just rang up the call center and said they did ?

if they didnt do the tests then they didn't waste the man hours surely they were doing something else.

this whole thing is sort o a non runner and people are trying o turn it into a massive conspiracy

(1,500,000 * 5 / 60)

That's just nonsense. Maybe if they were done individually you could claim that but it's still a stretch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement