Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Production help/analysis

Options
  • 09-09-2017 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hey I just picked up this album (2 tracks from YouTube below) the other day and I was wondering if anybody could give me any insight into how to go about getting this sound in terms of the production/effects. I'm assuming it's mostly layered strings and piano (?) but if anyone has a better idea into exactly what the instruments are that would be a great help! I've been after a sort of lofi neoclassical (?) sound like this or Daydreaming by Radiohead for some time now and can't get close! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrVoracious

Hmm the YouTube links don't appear to be working...
    The first one is this:
    https://youtu.be/N1bIbIVJaG0

And the second one is this:
    https://youtu.be/VKe3B-_6kSY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Pretty much how you described it from what I listened to. Just piano and some strings in the background. Some reverb on the strings as well, more obvious with the higher note strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrVoracious

Anima wrote: »
    Pretty much how you described it from what I listened to. Just piano and some strings in the background. Some reverb on the strings as well, more obvious with the higher note strings.

Thanks for the reply. I was more-so wondering about the effects/eq that might have been used to make it sound dark and kind of lofi. In terms of the strings or piano I wonder would it be possible to get a similar sound with virtual instruments or would it need to be a real instrument with a microphone. If that's the case I'm assuming mic placement would make a big difference too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well, the first track anyway could be reproduced with sample-based instruments. In fact, I'd say that's how it was made. The strings are just layered with a lot of reverb which "pushes them back" from the listener. They sound pretty standard and you could use just about any string sound that was similar.

The piano seems to have very little treatment and is more upfront. It doesn't sound very bright which in general is what gives a darker tone.

There really are only those two elements. I'd just have a go at reproducing it and you'll probably find you'll get pretty close.

Advertisement