Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isn't multiculturalism great...

18910111214»

Comments

I was listening to a woman on the radio this morning talking about how her neighbour has made her life hell for the past 8 months.

Falsely accused her husband of sexually assaulting his wife. Constantly records and takes photos of her children. Brings her to court over her dog barking and attacking his children, it gets thrown out because he produced 300 images of her children near his property (they live next door). Kidnapped their dog after the case was thrown out (Garda found dog in his house). Verbally abuses her kids.

He was a perfect neighbour up until 8 months ago. Why the sudden change?
    The woman's husband asked him how his wife was getting on with her pregnancy.

Luckily Conor bumped into the good ones eh?

Neighbours?

None of the people I met last Saturday are my neighbour. We have great neighbours..I've just come home to see the fellow next door has strimmed all the grass in a shared entrance, and that's a lot of strimming, so will drop off a bottle of wine later.

I just didn't meet them last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In fairness I have become extremely close to the Poles and the Latvians in my local community. Poland in particular has become my second home. When I was first asked over I thought why the fcuk would I want to go to Poland.

However once there I fell in love with the place and now make regular trips. I want to become fluent in the language next as I could see myself making the move permanent one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Shenshen wrote: »
    So even though only one person in the OP may possibly be a Muslim, this is what the discussion will center around.
    It's almost as if the OP planned it that way. :pac:
    And that's a valid opinion. I have a different one.

Which is that exposure to different cultures and religions is a good thing. Much like one might say "travel is a good thing" and someone else might say "it's not, you can see India on tv". Neither is really more...correct.
    It's not an opinion, it's a fact.
    You may be of the opinion that it's a good thing, but you can't say that it is inherently a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Poland is beautiful. Not for me to live there wise but cracking spot and people are nice

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bygumbo

It is surely no more valid nor invalid than "today I had a bad experience with (any group)". This site certainly doesn't have some policy of only giving the bad news.

And you can even use people with big noses as a group...I'd have to be charitable anyway as that's MY demographic...

But that's not the same thing?

"I went to the park today and saw some pigeons, and I like that" is kind of weird, lacking any reason.

"I went to the park today and saw some pigeons, and I like that because it reminds me of good times from my childhood playing in the park with my grandfather". That makes sense.

So if youre bothered, WHY was it so great to go to the park and see people of different nationalities? What impact did it have on you? Do you prefer that over only irish people in the park? How did the child with you benefit? How will the child benefit from it in the future?

I keep hearing through politics and social media that "multiculturalism is great", but that's as deep as any explanation ever goes. Why is it great? And your statement echoes that (in my opinion) vapid political statement.

Maybe you can tell me and help clear it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

In fairness I have become extremely close to the Poles and the Latvians in my local community. Poland in particular has become my second home. When I was first asked over I thought why the fcuk would I want to go to Poland.

However once there I fell in love with the place and now make regular trips. I want to become fluent in the language next as I could see myself making the move permanent one day.

That's grand. The poles keep their culture and heritage and we'll keep ours. How's that sound.

Bygumbo wrote: »
    So if youre bothered, WHY was it so great to go to the park and see people of different nationalities? What impact did it have on you? Do you prefer that over only irish people in the park? How did the child with you benefit? How will the child benefit from it in the future?.

I'm not in the least bit bothered! I'm happy to leave my post as it stands, in fact as some have complained about an obvious subtext and you complain about the banality, I'm even happier to leave it. As a very recently joined member yourself, you'll soon appreciate that this forum has no bar on profundity or levity or how far a point needs to be developed. And there is room for threads about big noses and pigeon watching.

I'm not in the least bit bothered! I'm happy to leave my post as it stands, in fact as some have complained about an obvious subtext and you complain about the banality, I'm even happier to leave it. As a very recently joined member yourself, you'll soon appreciate that this forum has no bar on profundity or levity or how far a point needs to be developed. And there is room for threads about big noses and pigeon watching.

Sounds like an experiment :P I'll start a new thread on the big-nosed variation of your post.

Any predictions as to how it will materialise?

Will I get a hundred "likes"?

Will it be taken down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Multiculturalism in Ireland has indeed made Ireland more diverse, from some points of view.

But, there was far more diversity in the world 30 years ago compared to today. Globalisation of people and culture reduces diversity.

Mixing things together reduces diversity and makes everything the same.

Irish culture will fail as a living culture and will instead only exist as a twee memory for tourists.

Coudenhove-Kalergi Plan?

I liken 'multiculturism' to a fad which is interesting for a short period of time before becoming boring for a long long time after. Some people feel that old Ireland was/is boring and stale due to lack of diversity. How great then to add new cultures and become more 'international'. However, what if every country did likewise? Interesting for a generation or two, sure, but give it a few hundred years and every country will be the same. No such thing as minorities, no nations possibly, nothing unique or passionate about any far-flung land that you may visit, so why bother visit? Each territory with the same type people governed by the same type of government, if not the same government. It is the new world order.

For the record, I'm all for integration and totally against multiculturism (from my understanding of that word: different cultures entering a foreign land and refusing to blend with that society, refusing to learn their language, refusing to respect their laws and customs etc). People coming to any foreign land should assimilate into that lands' culture. You wouldn't invite yourself into someone's house and tell them their carpets are sh*t, would you?

• Advertisement

Bygumbo wrote: »
    Sounds like an experiment :P I'll start a new thread on the big-nosed variation of your post.

Any predictions as to how it will materialise?

Will I get a hundred "likes"?

Will it be taken down?

I'll support it anyway, you'll only need 99 more likes after mine!

I'll support it anyway, you'll only need 99 more likes after mine!

Youre behind the times, man, 0nly 98 to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

No, I think it's terrible.

People should stick to their own country, that's what I've always said. It's a travesty that there are so many cultures blending together now, it will only result in monoculture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nationalism causes nothing but grief around the world, but she will be exposed to that. And the arts aren't exactly rooted in science, but I hope she has an appreciation for those too. After all, how dull would life be if she grows up saying "well, I do not know the scientific formula that proves that"!

You say nationalism causes nothing but grief but then it sounds like your defending religion afterwards by comparing it to arts and other things not rooted in science.. If anything has caused nothing but grief in this world it is religion, and at this moment it is islam which is causing by far the most grief throughout the world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Factofthematteris 'Conor's lovely day out' wasn't really all that multi-cultural. He just met quite similar people doing their thing, living their lives, looking after thier kids, making a crust, being hospitable human beings with one another.

Perhaps that's what bothers ethno-nationalists most of all and strangely enough it's what bothers Islamists/Nazis/Racists/Sectarians too.

Nah.. some of us are just bothered by misleading & naive topic titles... no need to go labelling everyone who objects as some kind of extremist. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nah.. some of us are just bothered by misleading & naive topic titles... no need to go labelling everyone who objects as some kind of extremist. :rolleyes:

I don't think in any of your previous 20+ posts you said that the only issue was the topic title?

I don't think in any of your previous 20+ posts you said that the only issue was the topic title?

Did you check? Actually, I believe one of them mentions the thread title, and the rest were responding the multiculturalism/migration/religion posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

What kind of lollipop was it?

What kind of lollipop was it?

The ones that are kinda...chalky, on the plastic pipe stalks. Not the boiled sweet on rolled paper type ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The ones that are kinda...chalky, on the plastic pipe stalks. Not the boiled sweet on rolled paper type ones...
    Ah jaysus, that's awful. What's the world coming to at all at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sounds like a Swizzels lollipop. Loved those as a kid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i just hope with the impending papal visit next year that Ireland doesn't revert back to being the backward catholic country that it used to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

philstar wrote: »
    i just hope with the impending papal visit next year that Ireland doesn't revert back to being the backward catholic country that it used to be

Amen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No fear of that. There'll be a few thousand people (mostly older) who'll turn out for it and some protesters, but for most people it'll be a non-event except to grumble about the traffic and parking restrictions during it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

There's a lady from the DR of Congo who sought asylum in Ireland a good few years back and lives in Castlebar. Massive Mayo fan, does her braids in the Mayo colours. Been interviewed a few times. She's deadly - seems a real sound, positive, proactive person with a great attitude. She works for assimilation/integration. I love folks like that - making the best of their situation and being considerate of others too. And DR of Congo would have been a harsh place.

It'd be better if she lived in Cong though. :pac:

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No fear of that. There'll be a few thousand people (mostly older) who'll turn out for it and some protesters, but for most people it'll be a non-event except to grumble about the traffic and parking restrictions during it.

?

wouldn't be so sure, the irish are easily lead (fooled)

and deep down Catholicism is deeply enshrined in the Irish psyche esp in rural areas and up north with the whole clanish catholic vs protestant mindset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Think you'll be in for a bit of a shock.

If the venues are comparable, it wouldn't surprise me if attendance figures were on a par with the visit of JP II in 1979.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

I'd say go with integration but have a limit on the proportion of immigrants allowed to the rest of the population at any given time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

It's a travesty that there are so many cultures blending together now, it will only result in monoculture.
    I would not like to see a monoculture, but that's the direction things seem to be going in.

eleventh wrote: »
    I would not like to see a monoculture, but that's the direction things seem to be going in.

Unlikely. Western culture encourages minority groups to exist. The only monocultures you'll see will be outside of Europe & the US.

• Advertisement

another great thing about multiculturalism is the variety of food and food outlets and restuarants lebanese, thai, greek, indian etc great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

another great thing about multiculturalism is the variety of food and food outlets and restuarants lebanese, thai, greek, indian etc great to see

I'm having sushi for lunch.

Although it's probably never been anywhere near a japanese person :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Think you'll be in for a bit of a shock.

If the venues are comparable, it wouldn't surprise me if attendance figures were on a par with the visit of JP II in 1979.

It won't be that much. I do have to disagree with the poster who said that it would only be a few thousand. I can see far more than that attending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

No, I think it's terrible.

People should stick to their own country, that's what I've always said. It's a travesty that there are so many cultures blending together now, it will only result in monoculture.

I really really hate this line.

Cultures and nations do not exist for anyone's entertainment. They are not static, and are a RESULT of humans, rather than a prescriptive definition of humans.

Advertisement