Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isn't multiculturalism great...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The GAA is one of the best things about this country it's actually a version of multiculturalism itself in that it's an example of Irish culture.

they're an example of the worst type of irish narrow-mindedness ...you had the ban, no foreign (brit) games in their stadia, maybe they've opened up in recent times but their track record isn't great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

marcus001 wrote: »
    No, the one that is totally inorganic and manufactured.

You have a choice. Run with the pack if you please, but there's plenty of positive cultures to immerse yourself that isn't inorganic or manufactured in our little country.

It's neither a good or a bad thing it just is what it is.
    Wow what a great person, I mean a non muslim irish barber has never done something like that for a child.
    If anything the opening post is a load of patronizing nonsense and is exactly the type of ****e that pisses people off about supposed "diversity". Praising someone who happens to be different for doing nothing more than the average born and raised irishman would do i.e be pleasant.

You were fine about it in the first reaction, then irritated, and then downright annoyed...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Football is a much much better sport, more participants, more people watching it's actually managed to get people playing it on an all ireland basis which is something the hurling lads have failed to do.

That's because hurling is harder to just pick up you have to start young, or at least it's perceived as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You were fine about it in the first reaction, then irritated, and then downright annoyed...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wanted to do the 3rd post first but decided to be nice but couldn't hold off so I gradually worked my way towards it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

When I was a child in the park with my friends I would always think "I wish that stupid white Catholic paddy on the swing was black or Muslim so I could experience a different culture".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

fryup wrote: »
    oh its definitely a good thing we've become more sophisticated and cosmopolitan as a nation instead of the backward backwater that we use to be

now if only we could get rid of the GAA

sophisticated yeah?in what sense?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You have a choice. Run with the pack if you please, but there's plenty of positive cultures to immerse yourself that isn't inorganic or manufactured in our little country.

I'm not against multiculturalism (although I am against large scale immigration for our little country for economic and infrastructural reasons), I just don't like the idea that in order to promote other cultures people feel the need to denigrate their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Football is a much much better sport, more participants, more people watching it's actually managed to get people playing it on an all ireland basis which is something the hurling lads have failed to do.

Except they don't kick the ball with the foot much anymore....it's kind of devolved to suit inferior players/talent across a sectrum of counties to make it more "competitive"

I'm not desputing it's better organised and more participants....it's just not as skilfull as hurling,by natural order it can't be

The late ned power of tallow in the 60's produced a hurling skills training manual showing there to be up 99 different methods of striking the ball....

Which few if any master them all (when was last time someone scored with a overhead first time strike intercounty:( )

That's because hurling is harder to just pick up you have to start young, or at least it's perceived as such.

Load of ****e in fairenss.

If hurling was as impossibly difficult as the hurling snobs would lead you to believe these hurling snobs wouldn't be capable of playing it themselves.Do they actually think that the average junior b hurler has something unique within him that makes him able to play hurling but the average junior b footballer couldn't possibly have the same stuff if he was drawn towards hurling instead of football.

By the way I love hurling I just absolutely despise hurling snobs they do themselves or the game no favours.

I'm not against multiculturalism (although I am against large scale immigration for our little country for economic and infrastructural reasons), I just don't like the idea that in order to promote other cultures people feel the need to denigrate their own.

I don't feel that need, nor did I post anything of the sort.

If hurling was as impossibly difficult as the hurling snobs would lead you to believe these hurling snobs wouldn't be capable of playing it themselves.Do they actually think that the average junior b hurler has something unique within him that makes him able to play hurling but the average junior b footballer couldn't possibly have the same stuff if he was drawn towards hurling instead of football.

By the way I love hurling I just absolutely despise hurling snobs they do themselves or the game no favours.

Bee in your bonnet old chap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Look lads. Its Saturday night, I'm in. The missus has the telly watching the tennis and I'm craving for a bit of entertainment. This thread isn't doing it for me the way its going. 5 pages in and its GAA vs footie. Wtf?

The average junior b hurler doesn't claim to even come close to calling himself good at it

I see myself with the local club,there's a young lad 16 who's on for county minor next year with a flick of the wrist could drive the ball into the any target at 60-70 yards either hand and rest of us do be flaking and trying our best and can barley do it on good side

(And rarely hit the target at that)

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads. Hurling is skillfully cool. Anyone can see that, even me.

The guy that can't hurl.

Look lads. Its Saturday night, I'm in. The missus has the telly watching the tennis and I'm craving for a bit of entertainment. This thread isn't doing it for me the way its going. 5 pages in and its GAA vs footie. Wtf?

Remember feeling safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

...today I brought my daughter to the playground to meet Slovakian friends with their kids. Also met my cousin and his African partner and their little daughter. After that, I went to my Turkish Muslim barber and to her delight he produced a lollipop.

And I thought, she'll grow up experiencing diversity and cultures that I could only dream of when I was a child in white Catholic Ireland in the late '70s and '80s. And it felt good.

Thats how things started in Rotherham, .lollypops.:)

Except they don't kick the ball with the foot much anymore....it's kind of devolved to suit inferior players/talent across a sectrum of counties to make it more "competitive"

I'm not desputing it's better organised and more participants....it's just not as skilfull as hurling,by natural order it can't be

The late ned power of tallow in the 60's produced a hurling skills training manual showing there to be up 99 different methods of striking the ball....

Which few if any master them all (when was last time someone scored with a overhead first time strike intercounty:( )

There are numerous ways of striking a football as well if you wanted to do something similar with football you could as well.

Soccer is an easy to play at a basic level doesn't mean it lacks skill.

If anything the game of Gaelic Football is much more skill based than it has ever been the smaller counties have fallen further and further behind in recent years because of this as they're lack of skill gets exposed more than it used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes multi kulturalism is nice when you let in a controlled number of people who can integrate and can contribute to the host society.

When you have uncontrolled migration from the third world it's not so good. Case in point, Germany, where women are now being advised to jog in pairs after yet another brutal stranger rape by one of Merkel's guests.

That's the spirit. Start with an attitude of hatred.

My children were brought up (over 30 years ago) among many nationalities; from Ghanaians and Mexicans to Australians, South Africans, Bahrainis and Chinese. They have enjoyed the fruits of a world view of life and have seen the huge diversity of the world as a result. When people of AH complain about multiculturalism they seem to have one culture as a target for their fear/hate. There is a myriad of cultures out there and, and like our own far from perfect culture (if we have a unique culture any more), there is good and bad in all cultures.

Edit. As I suspected he's banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Jaysus lads. Hurling is skillfully cool. Anyone can see that, even me.

The guy that can't hurl.

It's just a load of lads running around in circles with a stick. Now darts that's a game of skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Academic wrote: »
    I think it was pretty clear in the original post that he or she is talking about multiculturalism in Ireland.

ah, very sorry can't think of any cute stories as of yet. But do enjoy the odd falafel (so hipster!), and think afrobeat music is just brilliant too!

Events in Europe are actually useful to observe, just last year the minor event know as 'the Brexit' happened (primarily due to uncontrolled migration as the main voter issue).

We can look forward to a new hard border on Ireland as a result, cool eh?

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    It's just a load of lads running around in circles with a stick. Now darts that's a game of skill.

"What an athlete!!" (darts commentator)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

...today I brought my daughter to the playground to meet Slovakian friends with their kids. Also met my cousin and his African partner and their little daughter. After that, I went to my Turkish Muslim barber and to her delight he produced a lollipop.

And I thought, she'll grow up experiencing diversity and cultures that I could only dream of when I was a child in white Catholic Ireland in the late '70s and '80s. And it felt good.

I have read this a few times. I still can't see what other cultures you got to experience.
    I know what you are trying to do with this opening post. Disingenuous I think is the word.

Judging by the smiley i reckon you got the reactions you wanted.whether you're sincerely believed anything in your op is another matter,or if anything your wrote was even real.
    Have to say I like diversity,love meeting people of various cultures,be boring if we were all the same. That said I think we're fortunate with the types of migrants we've got.Turks are a sound bunch as are the Eastern Europeans. Nigerian people are sound as a pound too in my experience and have a great sense of humour that reminds me of the irish.
    However all of this has it's limits.I'm for the most part not for a diversity of religions.I'm athiest and believe the catholic church done enough damage here without us importing others.People can pray to whoever they want if their free time but the should have minimum impact on wider irish society where possible.we had a lad in our masters class who was a mature student from pakistan.nice bloke for the most part and a family man until it came to him bringing up islam and trying to engage us in discussing religion.lost the head with him one night when he took drinks out of the hands of girls in our class on a class night out.he never came out again and shot me daggers for months after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Isn't alcohol great? Today I caught up with old friends and had a few pints, the craic was off the chart. The more we drank, the more we laughed. I couldn't possibly see how drinking alcohol every day wouldn't be the best thing ever.

Everything in moderation and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Some cultures are better than others..simple fact. So multiculturalism is not always a roaring success as some people may want you to believe. With that said I am glad the OP had a lovely day with his daughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

"What an athlete!!" (darts commentator)

The late-great darts commentator Sid Waddell: "When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried real salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer... Eric Bristow's only 27."

smurgen wrote: »
    Judging by the smiley i reckon you got the reactions you wanted.whether you're sincerely believed anything in your op is another matter,or if anything your wrote was even real.

I was amused that one poster responded 3 times, and there was a clear shift in his thinking. That's all. You seem to be overanalysing an emoticon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Went in for a breakfast roll the other morning. Ordered off an eastern European no bother, she turns around to her work colleague and speaks her native tongue for the duration of her serving me.
    Gives me the roll without any interaction.

That **** annoys me. Big time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

To be fair, a lollipop is full of sugar and of no nutritional benefit.
    A nice wee ham sandwich, juice drink, or mini kebab would be much kinder, OP.

yesto24 wrote: »
    I have read this a few times. I still can't see what other cultures you got to experience.
    I know what you are trying to do with this opening post. Disingenuous I think is the word.

The man's just telling us of his positive experiences with people from different cultures in Ireland. That's all.

There's no need to read it a few times, no need to analyse, dissemble, accuse etc. It is what it is. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Went in for a breakfast roll the other morning. Ordered off an eastern European no bother, she turns around to her work colleague and speaks her native tongue for the duration of her serving me.

I fully accept that and I equally get pee'd off when a couple of people I know speak to each other in Irish when I and others are in their company. It's bad manners no matter what your nationality/culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If anything the opening post is a load of patronizing nonsense and is exactly the type of ****e that pisses people off about supposed "diversity". Praising someone who happens to be different for doing nothing more than the average born and raised irishman would do i.e be pleasant.

So what your saying is that they behaved just like you'd expect every other Irish person to so are no different than the rest of us? So what's your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

I fully accept that and I equally get pee'd off when a couple of people I know speak to each other in Irish when I and others are in their company. It's bad manners no matter what your nationality/culture.

Not so bad when it's not in a professional capacity, still very rude though.
    I remember in the 90s me and an irish work colleague in Berlin talking in english while waiting for a brotchen in the bakery one morning.
    The owner told us to speak in German or get out, so we spoke German for the rest of the duration.

I didn't agree then, I can see his point now.

fryup wrote: »
    they're an example of the worst type of irish narrow-mindedness ...you had the ban, no foreign (brit) games in their stadia, maybe they've opened up in recent times but their track record isn't great

People of all beliefs and colours play hurling and football.it's great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The man's just telling us of his positive experiences with people from different cultures in Ireland. That's all.

There's no need to read it a few times, no need to analyse, dissemble, accuse etc. It is what it is. Get over it.

If that was the case then why wasn't either everyone's, or, nobodies religion mentioned? Only Muslim was mentioned.

Polish i bet ya,

ya i don't like that either you always get the feeling their slagging you off...must get to learn some polish phrases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

As long as the people coming in embrace our Country and integrate well I'm fine with whatever. Unfortunately there's one group in particular that are causing problems throughout Europe and it's not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

That is my point. What did their culture bring to his experience that Irish people couldn't? Absolutely nothing. Kids playing, someone selling a service and giving a kid a lollipop.
    At best it is an example of multiethnic and not multiculturalism. All these other people from different countries getting on with it in Ireland and not being a dick. Just like most Irish people did before mass immigration and most Irish people do now.
    If anything it's what most of the "racists" on this site want. You know come here legally and integrate with the people here into Irish culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Was the barber actually Turkish? I see that many Turkish barbers around Dublin I'm beginning to think that maybe they are not all Turkish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bluewizard wrote:
    Well I'm "multicultural" - go ahead, tell me what's your problem with me.

You're not tall enough :)

If that was the case then why wasn't either everyone's, or, nobodies religion mentioned? Only Muslim was mentioned.

I don't know, maybe he didn't know the faith of the others he was in contact with. Maybe he hasn't met many muslims and this was his first contact with one. Either way, it's not something to get upset about.

It's going to be ok.

well there's always the wankin thread

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Was the barber actually Turkish? I see that many Turkish barbers around Dublin I'm beginning to think that maybe they are not all Turkish

Alot of kurdish when you ask them.came across a few syrians too.had one syrian barber ask me if i had any links to the middle east cause i was the head off his brother :)

• Advertisement

if i had any links to the middle east cause i was the head off his brother :)

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Alot of kurdish when you ask them.came across a few syrians too.had one syrian barber ask me if i had any links to the middle east cause i was the head off his brother :)

Wha?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Give up the pot man, the paranoia is getting to ya. They weren't talking about you, they have lives of their own.

Wha?:confused:

A Syrian barber cut my kids hair. He looks like he's from Mayo, or Poland, or Bristol. Have a quick google on Syria's history. Fantastic mish-mash of of French Euro, Persian, Greek, Arab, Turk, Syriac and a lot more.

(I didn't know this till meeting this Syrian guy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

People who think multiculturalism is great for Ireland are deluded loonies hiding their heads in the sand.

We don't have to look far too see how multiculturalism works out for western societies, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Paris. England.

Yeah it's great just fecking great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement