Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I have a solicitor ready before making an offer on a house?

Options
  • 10-09-2017 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I have mortgage approval for 170,000 and I have savings of almost 60,000. I am single but so sick of housesharing with weirdos, I just want to buy my own home.

I've looked at a few houses that are for sale recently. What I'm wondering about is- should I have a solicitor ready beforehand, or does that come after I make an offer on a house? I don't fully understand the process of buying a house as I have asked some people and they have given me different steps in different orders.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not necessary. However, it can be useful to have someone in mind.

Using a solicitor local to the property may be useful as they may be aware of local issues. Consider someone also when it comes to doing a survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

It will make your position stronger to the seller if when making your offer you provide the agent with your solicitors details and your approval in principle letter from the Bank (make sure to redact the amount though!!)
    It shows you are serious and are ready to buy which is a positive all sellers like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Thank you both. I guess I should start shopping around for a solicitor (and surveyor). Can they even quote how much their services cost? It's all very daunting for me, I don't know why. I envy people who can do this with their partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

kaji wrote: »
    Thank you both. I guess I should start shopping around for a solicitor (and surveyor). Can they even quote how much their services cost? It's all very daunting for me, I don't know why. I envy people who can do this with their partners.

Some solicitors do quote but it's not usually a good thing to get a quote as they may cut corners and ignore issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Some solicitors do quote but it's not usually a good thing to get a quote as they may cut corners and ignore issues.

Disagree. I went with one where we agreed price beforehand and would never go with one that didn't quote. What if he turns out to be cowboy and charge whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 travinci

From my experience solicitors may give you different quotes depending on the house you are buying, its location and price. Anytime I rang for a quote they wanted those details first...
    Surveyor may want to know same before he gives you a quote.
    For us (co. Kilkenny) solicitors quotes ranged from 1300+vat (23%) for service to 1800 + vat, plus all the extras (stamp duty and other), nearly 5k in total in our case.
    Surveyors differ a lot in services provided. We used a company that was mentioned on boards in a different thread, they have offices in Cork and Dublin and came to Kilkenny. they were 550, but we are super happy with the service. the survey took around 4h, than he went through everything in great detail with my husband and answered all questions.

kaji wrote: »

I went through the process alone so know it's daunting but think of it as taking one step at a time in a logical order:

Email solicitors and ask what their fixed Professional fee is for conveyancing is - this can be anything from €800 to over €1500
    There will be other costs on top of this but they are standard for any solicitor such as searches, registering the mortgage etc.
    You will also pay your stamp duty to the solicitor and he inturn pays it to revenue.
    The professional fee is usually the only variable when comparing solicitors for a house purchase.

Make your decision based on fees, reccomendations from friends & family and also your gut.

Look for and view all properties in your preferred area. Contact local agents to arrange viewings and definitely do second or even third viewings of the properties you are most interested in.

When you've found what your looking for after your viewing email the agent, include your offer, your contact details, your solicitors name & address and also your letter from the bank (again don't forget to redact the amount!)

It can be tough and bidding can be stressful when there's numerous bidders involved but set a limit of what your willing to pay for a particular property and don't go above it.

My advice is if there is more than one other bidder involved tell the agent you want to make an offer but are not interested in getting into a bidding war, let the others go at it and ask the agent to come back to you when there is only one other involved.
    It can also be worth asking what figure will the seller accept if you move on their terms i.e. Quick sale etc.

Best of luck with it and remember take it one step at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd expect a detailed quote upfront, the work is standard for a purchase bar unexpected issues. I'd skip any that didn't give one.

Thank you all for all these great tips, I really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You,ll only need a surveyor if you intend to buy a house older than 20, 30 years .
    Or if you think there may be a serious problem with the house.
    dry rot etc
    i would bid on house x ,if my bid is accepted i,d get a survey done.
    surveys cost 300 plus euro.
    You will need a solicitor when you need to bid on a house.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    You,ll only need a surveyor if you intend to buy a house older than 20, 30 years .
    Or if you think there may be a serious problem with the house.
    With pyrite problems, younger houses do need inspections.

Even with new-built properties, a snag list would be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

On a brand new house from this year do you think a snag list would be enough or would most people get a full survey do you think?

Normally only a snag list would be done, as the building normally wouldn't be old enough to develop structural problems, damp penetration or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Make sure you ask does it include vat. Sounds crazy but some quote excluding it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Ive just brought a property on my own
    I had mortgage approval and solicitor ready before I went and made an offer. Estate agent didnt ask me for the mortgage letter when I made an offer.
    The minute I went sale agreed, I was asked to hand over solicitors details.
    I had agreed a set price with solicitors beforehand
    Once I got sale agreed then I found a surveyor as they want the address of the property.

Its stressful buying on own but I actually had a lot of help from the bank.

The thing that held me up was the vendors solicitors. They had me tearing my hair out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jra3xneickw79y

Snoopy1, what was the solicitor's base fee? I am in the process of trying to find one but am struggling with getting time to call them all and try to get prices from them. I've called two so far and have quotes of 1200 from one and 1250 from the other.

Would love to know if these prices are as expected for the North Dublin area as if so I would just pick one and be done with it!

Snoopy1, what was the solicitor's base fee? I am in the process of trying to find one but am struggling with getting time to call them all and try to get prices from them. I've called two so far and have quotes of 1200 from one and 1250 from the other.

Would love to know if these prices are as expected for the North Dublin area as if so I would just pick one and be done with it!
    Find their email addresses, write an email (include basic details of you and transaction invovled) and send yourself an email and BCC (blind carbon copy) the solicitors.

I paid €850 plus vat as a professional fee April 2016. I copy & pasted an email to approximately 10 Solicitors’s offices. They have staff to answer these so was never waiting more that 2days for a reply but I got several quotes at the time of €1200, €1500 and even up to €1900.

You should shop around and don’t be put off by the location of the solicitor, as you only really need to ever visit twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Mine was 850exclusive of vat. Hes based in dublin city and athlone but works all l over, he did my house in kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jra3xneickw79y

OH I should email, that is SUCH a relief. Buying a house is such a grown up thing to do, I thought I had to be all adult and actually make phone calls O_o

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement

OP here. I followed everyone's advice on the thread and emailed 10 solicitors based in the town where I want to buy a house (and yes, I did BCC the emails :p).

Only 2 got back to me though :/ One of them said quite rudely that they don't give out quotes like that and the other crowd replied politely and said they need to know the house size, value etc etc. So I think I will probably go with them cos they were professional to answer in a polite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I only had my AIP when I was successful at bidding. I paid my booking deposit and then got a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

travinci wrote: »
    From my experience solicitors may give you different quotes depending on the house you are buying, its location and price. Anytime I rang for a quote they wanted those details first...
    Surveyor may want to know same before he gives you a quote.
    For us (co. Kilkenny) solicitors quotes ranged from 1300+vat (23%) for service to 1800 + vat, plus all the extras (stamp duty and other), nearly 5k in total in our case.
    Surveyors differ a lot in services provided. We used a company that was mentioned on boards in a different thread, they have offices in Cork and Dublin and came to Kilkenny. they were 550, but we are super happy with the service. the survey took around 4h, than he went through everything in great detail with my husband and answered all questions.

Was that Cathal Lombard Solicitors by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 travinci

no, not them

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

It appears the going rate for solicitors in north Dublin is €1400 plus vat. Note some solicitors will then put all sorts of add on fees, courier costs, additional admin fees etc etc which will all add up. Get as many quotes as you can, plus generally speaking solicitors down the country are cheaper (some will say get a solicitor local to the property). Survey fees around North Dublin appear to be €350 plus VAT.

Your right though buying on your own is a scary business, wish you all the best.

Advertisement