Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200km audax

Options
  • 10-09-2017 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Planning my 2018 new year resolutions - to start a RRTY in Jan 2018.

A) Anybody any views as to how long a 3 stone overweight unfit beginner would need to train before attempting a 200km audax; and
    B) would a 300km or a 400km event later in 2018 be unrealistic in my first year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

It's not a audax but the Wicklow 200 2018 would be a pretty good target to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Heres a 100 mile training plan that'll get you there in 8 weeks.

https://www.bicycling.com/training/fitness/100-mile-goal

Problem with an Audax is its an unsupported event so for a beginner it might not be the best choice for the first long one.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

The best advice for starting Audax is to learn to pace yourself by both conserving energy and using your time at controls efficiently.
    Know your bike inside out and by able to fix punctures, chain failures and cable snaps.
    Get a saddle that you can sit on all day long (and longer).
    Learn what food works.
    Read the route and have a backup to the routemap. Make sure your bike computer is full charged.
    Starting in winter for RRTY then have a good winter gear. But also have a spare baselayer, socks and cap. Nice to be able to don dry gear to finish a cold wet day in the saddle.
    Carry a bar or saddle bag capable of taking spares and clothes.
    Lights and back up lights.

Finally. Always finish and always finish smiling. I havent always followed this but wish when I didnt that I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

W200 would be a better goal, initially. Not that a 200 km Audax is a lot harder, but the relative lack of support and the possibility of riding it alone might need some getting used to.

I would not ket anyone disuade you from cycling Audax. An RRTY is a serious challenge but a worthwhile goal. I have organised audax events and met people doing them with not a lot if experience. Once you can cycle for 8-12 hours in any weather then yiu are physically ready. The only way to be mentally ready is to try it. Be prepared to spend a lot if time riding solo.
    I do about four to six events a year (mostly permanents). I have found that while i live starting a ride with other folks that invariably at some stage I need to be in my own. So I just go up the road or out the back.
    Audax is for everybody. Do it and see if its for you. Doing Wicklow 200 is nothing like an audax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Cyclist101 wrote: »
    A) Anybody any views as to how long a 3 stone overweight unfit beginner would need to train before attempting a 200km audax

Losing the weight is mostly about your diet. That relates to the type of food you're consuming in addition to when and how it's delivered. Whole food is your friend when out riding all day. Even though I've been using gels for a good time now, I'll still have the odd ride where they just don't agree with me.
    B) would a 300km or a 400km event later in 2018 be unrealistic in my first year?

Not at all but as others have said, I'd go for a Sportive (if you've never done one) to get a feel for what it's like to be on the road for most of the day. The self-sufficiency of audax adds layers of complexity compared to a sportive. Maintenance, navigation and even basic first aid are all stuff you should know. I've been lucky in that most of the events (Sportive/Audax) I've done have been with a buddy who is of similar fitness level and we stick together throughout the events. The odd event where I've been on my own has been a little bit tougher as that back and forth chit chat can keep the mind from going a little cuckoo. When you're out on your own in the countryside cycling into a headwind with rain smashing your face... there can be that voice in your head asking you wtf you're doing that you should be at home with your family instead of out suffering physically and/or mentally.

^
    I have had many a conversation with that inner voice.
    Usually on a lonely road into the wind and rain with three hours left.
    It is tough.
    A friend told me that riding most Audax is sh1t, but the sense if achievemnet is why we keep coming back.
    Dontbknow where you are based butblook at Audax Ireland permanent routes.
    Try one in your own and see how you get on for 100k then 150k. By then you will know if a 200 is for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

A) Anybody any views as to how long a 3 stone overweight unfit beginner would need to train before attempting a 200km audax; and

Even if you are used to audax there is quite a discipline to getting a RTTY; you would probably need to plan out your calendar early. I've only done one, didn't plan it and and the middle part of year I was starting to resent it!! I pulled out of 3 rivers 300 as a permanent after 210km and Celtic Knot after 370km with a gammy knee and was left with one Saturday in June to ride a 200km, Worked out ok but found I was doing 200/300km rides that were effecting my enjoyment of bike over more sane distances.

@namelessphil & @cdaly have done quite a few and could offer better advise that most on here I would think on that side of it

You don't have to start in January BTW, you can start any month. I think around now is nearly best time to start to ymmv.

What is current fitness like. What can you ride solo?

Keep an eye on audax Ireland site or maybe pm Paul Newman, there are the occasional 100km rides out of Dublin during winter as an introduction to audax.

Don't worry about the weight, you'll get all shapes and sizes on audax.

It is brilliant way to see the country if you travel to different events.

On 300/400km rides the most important step is deciding you are going to do it and sticking to it. The primary adaptation is in your head rather than fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Audax requires total honesty with yourself.

What's the furthest you've ridden this year? If it's less than 100km a training plan would be beneficial.

Doing a RRTY is tough but doable.

1. You need a supportive environment. You will be away one whole day every weekend and your recovery will probably take the next day too. You will also have to do some training on the other weekends too. If you have a family you will have to agree with them that you get the time off. Your other half should be able to claim equal amounts of time for themselves.

2. You will have to be prepared to ride all day in all weathers. From late October to April you will have some hours of darkness during a ride. Most 200km events start at 8am and you have 13 1/2 hours to finish a 200. You will need good lights, mudguards (8 hours with a wet backside is deeply unpleasant), good gloves and a bike in good working order.

3. Your legs will get you home barring accident or injury. 90% of ultra distance riding is in your head as is the last 10%! Be prepared to have another way to get home if things go pear-shaped.

4. You will be riding some if this on your own. If you find someone going the same pace grand, but the worst thing that can happen is that you're fine but your companion is not and you lose time and daylight waiting for them. Be prepared to cut your losses and ride on.

5. You need some form of speedometer to navigate by routesheet if you don't have a GPS unit. You need to keep track of the distance between turns and your cumulative distance. Going wrong by 6km can be half an hour lost to get back on track.

6. If you've done regular events, there's nothing to prevent you from riding a 300, 400 or 600 in your first year. You will be spending up to 40 hours doing a 600 so you will have to learn how to manage sleep

7. You might not lose any weight doing the distance. Audaxers are all shapes and sizes, I don't lose weight at all, I'm still 62kg of awesome! Some are twice my weight and get round with no problems. You may find you eat rings around yourself afterwards so your weight won't change. Diet is greater weight loss tool than exercise.

Ask any questions, I'm nearly finished my fourth year of RRTY in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I think this is the year that I've finally run out of excuses to not Audax.

Have a half dozen 150s under my belt, a 175km solo ride in Spain and the WW200 under my belt.

Mechanically competent on everything but wheels I.e. spokes and bearings. Which I remain nervous of.

Have experience in living outdoors and being under pressure in isolated places too...so it feels like a natural fit.

Do Audaxers use Road Atlas or OS maps to supplement the Brevet card?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've signed up to 2 Celtic knots and pulled out both times. First was because I fractured my elbow so couldn't train, second one I got the fear, but it's still on the list.

I've done 1 solo 220 km cycle, and where as it was one of the very best days I've had on a bike, there was a moment or 2 where I wanted to not bother (it probably didn't help I did it on the way home from a stag). I do nearly all of my cycling solo though, so it's a matter of having the discipline to slow down a bit and not worried about average speeds that are not sustainable for 8 hours.

There's a tremendous sense of achievement in doing such a distance unsupported. No awards or anything, but still tremendous. I'm hoping to ad some Audax next year. Maybe 1 every 2 or 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Doing Audax is fantastic. It might sound scary that there is no support, but as long as your bike is in good condition and you can fix a puncture, you should be fine.

You probably already know this, but just in case - Are you aware you are NOT tied to an event calendar? There are 'Permanents', i.e. events you can do any day you want, as long as you agree beforehand with the organiser? Just send an email, pay a small fee (usually a fiver) and away you go
    http://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/

Also, dont worry about weight or anything. I know a few lads who you think would have problems doing 100km on a bike and finished Celtic Knot (1000km) and LEL (1400km). Audax is about being slow and steady, not about racing off at 30km and blowing up in the first hour (as you see in many sportives!). Probably the funniest thing I saw on a bike was the English guy on Celtic Knot who was treating the event like an extended pub crawl. When we stopped for food with him, he was having beers. Apparently he has been doing it since the 1980's.

ford2600 gave good advice about starting the RRTY now. It means that the last few rides will be in Sept / Oct rather than Nov / Dec.

Go for it. Whats the worst that could happen - it doesnt work out and you bail out (you still have had a good cycle). Whats the best that could happen - you achieve something that you previously thought was beyond your ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

To answer your questions directly

Depends on base fitness. But there is no substitute for time in the saddle. Look to go out at least 3 times a week with one of those a long ride on the weekend. Once you manage 100km ok (i.e. you dont need to lie down for 2 hours when you are done), then a 200km is possible if you pace yourself.

Absolutely. A common phrase you hear about Audax is "if you can do 100, you can do 200. If you can do 200, you can do 300, etc.". If you did 6 months of the RRTY doing 200km events, then a 300km event is definitely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Get out there and do it, do it now...
    Do Audaxers use Road Atlas or OS maps to supplement the Brevet card?
    Apart from the route sheet which details turns and distances, many riders use a gpx track on a gps device (OsmAnd+ on the phone for me). I also used to bring a scanned map with the route marked as a backup but rarely looked at it.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    There's a tremendous sense of achievement in doing such a distance unsupported. No awards or anything, but still tremendous. I'm hoping to ad some Audax next year. Maybe 1 every 2 or 3 months.
    You too...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You've just missed out on the Dying Cow which is this weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it a few years back and had planned on it this year prior to getting injured. Dying light could be worth a punt. Regarding maps, if I'm doing a long solo spin I tend to study the map the day before and have a look at awkward junctions in streetview. Works find for ~200k but probably too much information to try to do this for a longer route. GPS is brilliant but it does feel like cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Signed up and paid for the Dying Light. Thanks for the encouragement lads.

Physically I know I'm able for it. It's mentally that I'll probably f*ck it up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Signed up and paid for the Dying Light. Thanks for the encouragement lads.

Physically I know I'm able for it. It's mentally that I'll probably f*ck it up

Tempted to do the very same. I've a week off work to recover too...

Welcome to the dark side of cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I'm nearly finished my fourth year of RRTY in a row.

Wow. That's impressive.

Thanks! I've ridden at least one Audax event of 200km or more, including Paris-Brest-Paris and London-Edinburgh-London, every month since January 2014. I don't get sick very often, but I did ride the King's Mountain 200 in February 2015 ten days after having my gallbladder removed! Riding every month means that I'm never more than six weeks away from my next event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

smacl wrote: »
    Regarding maps, if I'm doing a long solo spin I tend to study the map the day before and have a look at awkward junctions in streetview. Works find for ~200k but probably too much information to try to do this for a longer route. GPS is brilliant but it does feel like cheating.

I did this once in planning for a 400k event. You would have thought that it was too much but it meant that a junction looked familiar and so I'd pay attention to it or the route sheet. I certainly wasn't memorising junctions...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

I think it's more than possible - I did something like that this year.

I bought a used bike early 2017 and just got on it and started pedalling around when the weather permitted. All I had as gear was just Lidl/Aldi padded shorts, and I wore running tops, hoodies, running shoes etc and just did it at my own pace. My first couple of rides were around 15k if I remember correctly, and then did couple of slow 30k rides, figured out I need to bring water with me, and then I started going out early Sunday morning to get more practice. Crisp morning, empty country roads, exploring road that I have never been to, and slowly increased the trips to 50k, 60k, 70k learning how far I can go without food, and how much I need to eat as I went along.. Finally got as far as 110k or so in next number of months. Changed pedals to wider ones which is more suitable for running shoes, and also bought a cheap cycling jacket, puncture repair kit, couple of spare tubes. In August I was able to bike 200k+ (Drogheda-Buncrana) despite the weather and pucture - started in the morning and got there around 5pm. And a week later I cycled all the way back as well. There are plenty of places to stop and eat in this island, you are never too far from food or help if you needed it.

Cycling is easy really. Racing etc is not easy at all, but just cycling for recreation and fun is really just that - a lot of fun! Keep at it and you will soon be cross continents on your bike!

Advertisement