Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Work

Options
  • 10-09-2017 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

We recently moved to a shared portfolio split between 4 teams, replacing the individual portfolios we had initially.

I had little issue with it as I tend to get on with things and don't have a problem with change as long as the new plan is being implemented correctly.......only it's not.

People on my team have their phones off. They slyly pass work out of their work queue if they see something that isn't a quick fix and close. They consistently leave earlier than allowed. They argue with our manager when they haven't a foot to stand on and it's not punished.

Basically, all my fears about a shared portfolio come true. As I said I get on with it because that's just who I am. I have a strong work ethic which means if I get a phone call about a mistake a colleague has made or hasn't done, I feel a responsibility to fix it. This all means that I feel huge pressure and stress due to my workload.

I've raised all of this with my manager, who in fairness to her has acknowledged these issues as true. The problem is that all she can say is that once performance reviews come around, it will go against these people......which means little to me, as I would prefer warnings to be issued out. Which is her right and would be by the book based on under performance, but I get the feeling that management don't want the bother.

There's one person in particular who has always been poor at his job and in general difficult and ignorant with people. He recently got a job offer and was able to get it matched by my employer, mostly because they were heamoragging staff and were desperate not to lose another person with extensive system know how.

So this just makes picking up this person's slack even worse because I know even if he gets a poor review, he won't give a **** because he already has what he wanted. And he won't be moved to another team because I know the other managers won't have him. He also openly declares that there will be trouble if he is moved so he's basically ruling by intimidation.

So my question is to any people who have a similar shared portfolio, does it get any better? Are people punished for under performance (making mistakes is fine, consistent ignorance and flouting of rules is what I would call under petformance)? Should I take my manager's manager non committal assirance that I'll be looked after in my next review or should I start to look elsewhere which I would be in a position to do given I've built up 5 years of experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Look elsewhere. It sounds like a circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Unfortunately that is the problem with shared portfolios unless they are managed well and judging by your comments the manager does not know how to do it.

Any issues that come up need to be documented and dealt with quickly and not wait until review time.

As such I can not see how it will get any better. The best advice I can give you is do your job the best you can and document the time and dates of all the issues so when you have your one 2 one meetings with your manager you have factual arguments.

Advertisement