Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do with kids in Kerry...

• 10-09-2017 10:44am

...planning the day ahead, looks like a trip to the play centre in Crag Cave is on the cards. Got me thinking, how about a thread listing the various things to do with kids in Kerry. I don't mean touristy things to see, but for families based in Kerry.

I'll start with 2 good free ones, feeding the ducks at Ross Castle, Killarney (no bread mind you, we give them porridge oats) and a visit to Killarney Playground, one of the better ones around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

...planning the day ahead, looks like a trip to the play centre in Crag Cave is on the cards. Got me thinking, how about a thread listing the various things to do with kids in Kerry. I don't mean touristy things to see, but for families based in Kerry.

I'll start with 2 good free ones, feeding the ducks at Ross Castle, Killarney (no bread mind you, we give them porridge oats) and a visit to Killarney Playground, one of the better ones around.

Was in Dingle a few weeks ago and they've installed a really impressive playground just as you come into the town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Aqua Dome in Tralee is good, the Museum is worth a trip as well as the Wetlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

Kennedys pet farm, Cork road, Killarney.

Coolwood. Although I've never been and I'm unsure of the opening times but have heard good things about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

dobman88 wrote: »
    Kennedys pet farm, Cork road, Killarney.

Coolwood. Although I've never been and I'm unsure of the opening times but have heard good things about it

Been to both of these in the past few years and would recommend them both . Muckross house and gardens are fantastic, the famine village ( not as depressing as it sounds !) has working farms and houses from the 1800's and is fantastic, kids loved it and were fascinated to see how households coped without iPads ! 😀
    Ross castle and a spin out on loch leane on the boat is a must.
    Killarney house has just reopened after a massive restoration and is fantastic as is everything in the Killarney park . A fantastic amenity right in the heart of the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was there a month ago with my own kids. Thought it was very poor. Very, very run down. It wasn't a happy visit and I wouldn't return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

The rope bridge and dinosaur sculptures at Kells Bay Gardens. It got a bit crowded at times during the summer but its open most of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

JonathonS wrote: »
    The rope bridge and dinosaur sculptures at Kells Bay Gardens. It got a bit crowded at times during the summer but its open most of the year.

I second that - but also great for adults. If the restaurant is open the Thai food is phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

For smaller kids there's a "fairy trail forest' near Rossbeigh beach. Little fairy doors on branches with little ladders leading up to them from the ground.

My friend took her kids and said they loved it

For smaller kids there's a "fairy trail forest' near Rossbeigh beach. Little fairy doors on branches with little ladders leading up to them from the ground.

My friend took her kids and said they loved it

They have one in Parknasilla near Sneem too. They're pretty handy to pass an hour or 2 alright, get some fresh air.

Incidentally Crag Cave was a disaster. But nothing to do with the place, which looks like a pretty good set up, she just got frazzled by all the noise and commotion. It was very cheap, only a fiver. Just as well as she only lasted 20 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

SeaFields wrote: »
    I was there a month ago with my own kids. Thought it was very poor. Very, very run down. It wasn't a happy visit and I wouldn't return.

Have to agree with this was based on the feedback I got from my sister in law and her kids who were there last month.

My wife and a group of young scouts went to the Blueberry Hill Farm in Sneem and everyone thought it was a brilliant experience.

There is also a Fairy Trail in the grounds of Daniel O Connells House, perfect before or after a walk on Derrynane Beach, and free.

The museum in Tralee as mention by others is fantastic with great photo opportunities and a fabulous playground just outside.

Crab fishing off any of the piers scattered around the Kerry coast is great fun once properly supervised, no hooks needed just tie a bit of bacon on to a long piece of string.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Well, glad I started this thread. Today will feature rope bridges, dinosaur sculptures and Thai for lunch...and if she's still wide awake after all that, maybe even a fairy trail in Rossbeigh afterwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Well, glad I started this thread. Today will feature rope bridges, dinosaur sculptures and Thai for lunch...and if she's still wide awake after all that, maybe even a fairy trail in Rossbeigh afterwards...

And then the Chocolate factory at St Finians bay overlooking the Skelligs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Went to Kells Bay House and gardens earlier in the year, absolutely lovely,fantastic flowers and ferns and beautiful views. Didn't have kids with us but all the ones we saw were having a ball. Recommended it to so many people afterwards. The little bay down the road is very pretty too.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    And then the Chocolate factory at St Finians bay overlooking the Skelligs :)

Not. A. Chance. We'd have to go back there every weekend once she got her free chocolate!

The Kells Bay gardens were pretty neat. And we had Thai for lunch at the cafe there, which was lovely. Not a cheap day out, left over €50 there between the walk and lunch. But one of those memorable outings.

Went on to Cahergal and Leacanabuile afterwards. Got absolutely poured on. Why do Met Eireann always say "showers" and not admit they just don't have a clue what that might mean in South Kerry, so it could be either a heatwave or a monsoon.

Advertisement