Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Enterprise Office Start Your Own Business course feedback

Options
  • 10-09-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Has anyone completed a Start Your Own Business course with the LEO and if so would you recommend them?

I have been working in both the Public and Private sector for over 20 years but never for myself. I have 3 of 4 years of a BBS course completed and covered Employment Law, writing business plans etc but only in broad terms. I'm only looking to start as a sole trader offering workplace health and safety training and consultancy working from home.

I plan on doing some market research and writing a business plan but don't plan on getting much if any funding. I'm hoping (perhaps naively) to generate business through building on old relationships from a former job in insurance and hoping referrals will follow as I believe what I do, I do well (based on current feedback).

If anyone has completed one of those courses I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I am starting the course this evening in Dublin.

Can provide feedback in a few weeks if that's any help

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

Thanks Graham that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

I did it few years ago (with DLRCOCO). Found it useful in general. You can learn a lot.

Most presenters were good or very good, but one had not clue what they're doing there :)

Overall positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Can't do any harm if you have the time. But it's no substitute for the real thing of finding customers, delivering services or product and getting paid. Courses may help to avoid some problems but no substitute for the daily/ weekly need to do the basics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Can't do any harm if you have the time. But it's no substitute for the real thing of finding customers, delivering services or product and getting paid. Courses may help to avoid some problems but no substitute for the daily/ weekly need to do the basics :)

The course is on how to set up, not run your business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 braggart

I am one week away from completing this course and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It covers the different aspects of running a start up & you get lots of different advice along the way.

+1 on what Braggart says.

I'm going to the 4th evening tonight and it's excellent so far. The instructor is outsourced by LEO and has lots of hands on business experience.

About 14 of us in the class and it's really interesting to be in a room with other like minded individuals and hear about their business ideas.

I'm also feeling much more positive about my business ideas since getting some feedback in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

grahamor wrote: »
    +1 on what Braggart says.

I'm going to the 4th evening tonight and it's excellent so far. The instructor is outsourced by LEO and has lots of hands on business experience.

About 14 of us in the class and it's really interesting to be in a room with other like minded individuals and hear about their business ideas.

I'm also feeling much more positive about my business ideas since getting some feedback in the class.

Good to hear! The LEO generally gets a bad rap, i think because theres no consistency, its like getting a lecturer for a course - you can get someone truly interesting, engaging and who do their best to help you or someone there to pick up their pay cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

Can I ask :

Is the instructor available to you outside of class to help with specific problems ?

And when did you begin the course ? (How long does it take to get to the 4th evening you mentioned).

Are many of the 13 other voices in the class related to your area of business ?

I'm wondering really if there is benefit in these courses since you have first hand insight, and should we try promote them more in this forum.

Cheers,
    Sys

Can I ask :

Is the instructor available to you outside of class to help with specific problems ?

And when did you begin the course ? (How long does it take to get to the 4th evening you mentioned).

Are many of the 13 other voices in the class related to your area of business ?

I'm wondering really if there is benefit in these courses since you have first hand insight, and should we try promote them more in this forum.

Cheers,
    Sys

Their availability outside of class is at their discretion, but think they are happy to reply to simple enquiries via email.

Class began on 12th Sept, it's every Tues and Thurs for 5 weeks, 6.30-9.30pm (lasts the full 3 hours). You get PowerPoint slides and some other notes.

Class is quite varied, Jewelery maker, 3 or 4 in food industry, retail, PR, software etc.

The amount i have learned regarding grants I would be entitled to has probably already paid for the course fee, which itself is a business expense ! Learned lots last night about insurance required and IP, Copyright, Trademarks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The course is on how to set up, not run your business

Maybe, but there's plenty of new business start ups that fail. Not because of not knowing how to set it up, but in actually getting it to work.

Advertisement