Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock hotel pool membership

Options
  • 10-09-2017 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭

Eldest 2 kids have been getting lessons the last couple of years in NAC but we took a term off earlier this year due to them not moving up levels and needing a break from going every week along with a financial break! It was handy though as we could go in with them after and bring the youngest in also. If course now can't get back in at a time that suits :(

Tried lots to get them private lessons but it's hard, however finally have them in Aura Pool now on Navan road. Problem is we can't go in like we did up in NAC. So thinking about joining it.

But before we sign up for the year I was thinking about joining the hotel when it reopens, it's very handy as it is right beside us and they also have a gym which Aura don't. Does anyone know what their rates were before they closed and if they are likely to increase? Also is the gym extra cost?

Any other recommendations in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

The Castleknock hotel is not an option! It's an addition to a spa and not a huge pool. As a patron myself I wouldn't be into having children there at all. In fact I think they aren't even allowed.

What about Coolmine?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

amtc wrote: »
    The Castleknock hotel is not an option! It's an addition to a spa and not a huge pool. As a patron myself I wouldn't be into having children there at all. In fact I think they aren't even allowed.

What about Coolmine?

Sounds to me like you have an agenda and a bad attitude towards kids. I know for a fact kids were allowed.

Coolmine is a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Kids are allowed in Castleknock but it's not a swimming swimming pool. Grand for toddlers to young kids to play and learn maybe.

Ben Dunne's is fine for a 25m pool and never that busy. That's the value venue in D15 (a lot better than Coolmine).)

Westmanstown costs a fortune and in my opinion is not as good as the NAC. I don't think the NAC is amazing either mind you. I find the changing facilities a bit grim.

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Kids are allowed in Castleknock but it's not a swimming swimming pool. Grand for toddlers to young kids to play and learn maybe.

Ben Dunne's is fine for a 25m pool and never that busy. That's the value venue in D15 (a lot better than Coolmine).)

Westmanstown costs a fortune and in my opinion is not as good as the NAC. I don't think the NAC is amazing either mind you. I find the changing facilities a bit grim.

Cheers. Ben Dunne is out though as not for kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Seve OB wrote: »
    Cheers. Ben Dunne is out though as not for kids :(

Really? That's mad, thought they'd be a over a family membership. Makes sense now that you say it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

"Sounds to me like you have an agenda and a bad attitude towards kids. I know for a fact kids were allowed.

Coolmine is a dump"

You asked for advice. You have no idea what my attitude is towards kids. I have no issue if there are set adult only times. But I don't think that a pool mainly meant as a spa addition is suitable, particularly if they have been in the nac.

You also mentioned cost, hence my suggestion of coolmine as it does also have a small gym. I went to school there myself and did lessons there. It's not the best but is not a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Coolmine is a dump.
    I think that "dump" is very strong. It's not plush but functional.
    I bring my two boys up there every week (the non-member family swim between 4pm and 4:45pm; 10 euro). Generally only about 10-15 people there. It's working great for us since their school stopped doing swimming lessons.

I too learned to swim there, with my parents and when in Coolmine Community School.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Coolmine is a dump.

Ridiculous comment. Excellent swimming lessons and instructors as the long waiting list will be testament to. As already mentioned by daymobrew the open swim is quiet and great to bring young kids to and cheap enough too. It's not the NAC but it's not a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coolmine could be better, but its swimming lessons / instructors are great and reasonably priced. My 11 year old is a great little swimmer thanks to the lessons there. Depends what you want OP. If you want your kids to learn how to swim well at a reasonable price, or pay a small fortune somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

I was a member of castleknock before it closed. It was a great spot. Couldn't find anywhere as good when it closed. Kids loved it. They had weekly lessons and also a guy for private lessons. I was paying approx. 350 p/a for adult (pool only membership). Kids were under 4 & free at the time. Hopefully price will be similar when it reopens next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Coolmine is good but long waiting lists for most lessons - it i an older style but not a dump by any means.
    Finglas is very handy to get to outside of rush hour - it has some very good lessons and the pool is close to the M50.

Fair enough, maybe I was over the top calling coolmine a dump.

I'm not looking for lessons.

And for the person who said cool I need were great a lessons because of their waiting list, I hate to tell you, that means nothing. Everywhere has crazy waiting lists for kids lessons or no list at all like the NAC and is a first come first served.

I'm looking for a place to bring the kids once or twice a week to practice what they have learnt in their lessons, it doesn't have to be a huge pool. Just want to get them in the water.

For the poster who was a member of the hotel do you know if there were family rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

For the poster who was a member of the hotel do you know if there were family rates?

I think 7-800 ish but can't be sure. The best thing was they provided towels each time you went. I imagine prices will go up when it's revamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm not looking for lessons.

I'm looking for a place to bring the kids once or twice a week to practice what they have learnt in their lessons, it doesn't have to be a huge pool. Just want to get them in the water.

You're describing Coolmine.

Your kids won't care if it's a bit shabby. Only you will...

You're describing Coolmine.

Your kids won't care if it's a bit shabby. Only you will...

lads what is it with the Coolmine trip. I don't want to go there, think I've made that pretty clear.

Please read my comments again.

I'm interested in the hotel or similar standard. I know its gonna be more expensive, where did I say that I was on a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

where did I say that I was on a budget?
    and needing a break from going every week along with a financial break!
    :confused:

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    :confused:

read it again

that was to do with lessons. they are back in doing the lessons, privatly in Aura pool Navan road. i think if i was on a budget, private lessons would be way down the list of priorities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Sounds to me like you have an agenda and a bad attitude towards kids. I know for a fact kids were allowed.

Coolmine is a dump.
    And for the person who said cool I need were great a lessons because of their waiting list, I hate to tell you, that means nothing.
    lads what is it with the Coolmine trip. I don't want to go there, think I've made that pretty clear.

Please read my comments again.
    read it again

For a man/woman asking for help from strangers, you're not being very nice about it.

There's a finite number of pools in D15 and you've eliminated them all for various reasons so I guess that's it.

I'm done.

thanks to sixtoes who gave me some of the info i was looking for

Advertisement