Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoil Help

Options
  • 10-09-2017 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I have been asked to go into local Irish speaking schools and talk about our Gaelscoil. I will be talking about Irish and other subjects in the school. I have no idea what I will say. Anyone got any ideas? What would primary school children like to hear about a new secondary Gaelscoil in their area? What can I talk about regarding teaching Irish and other subjects? Anyone got some resources (e.g. PowerPoint) that I could use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Subjects yes. But how about a presentation who photos of extra curricular activities/trips your school does. Even better if you can include photos of past pupils that might have went to their school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MsSmyth

That's a great ideas and I was thinking about that. However the teacher that is coming with me is going to talk about extra curricular and facilities in the school etc. I have been given the task of specifically talking about subjects but I'm not sure what to say. These students are in 6th class so I don't want to overwhelm them. Should I talk about topics they will be learning in secondary school? Trips they will be going on? Benefits of studying a certain subject through Irish??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Isnt it a gaelcholáiste rather than a gaelscoil (presuming youre not in the gaeltacht)? I wouldn't make the benefits of studying thru irish the main point - if its only 6th class (as opposed to parents) it will be second nature to them and doesn't have to be justified. Tell them about the interesting science/home ec/foreign language; lab for science; science coats and goggles? Cspe and sphe; business; tech graphics etc - all those subjects that seem so exotic when you're not doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MsSmyth

Another good idea. What about having to talk about Irish in the new Gaelcholáiste? And teaching Irish? This is something they have asked me to talk about. It's a bit abstract as these students are learning and speaking Irish every day. Any ideas what I can say about Irish/ Irish language??

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

What about the new subjects they will be covering at second level? Sixth class students are usually very interested in these. E.g. The practical subjects like home economics, woodwork, tech graphics etc. Also other languages that they might be taking up such as French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I'd say very little about it -I'd take it as a given- of course, all classes will be through irish but you're well used to that - no problem to you ...

Advertisement