Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Irish product do you miss the most when you travel abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭The Ging and I

Brennan's fresh white sliced pan, just to make a sambo !
    I live in France and the bread is a chore to eat and a joke for sarnies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I'm only after lunch ;)

I thought the sale of proper milk i.e. raw/unpasteurised milk was tightly-controlled, no?

Who said proper milk was raw/unpasteurised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

King Crisps and Murphy's stout. Irreplaceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Tyrone women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

No, I meant raw milk. Why did you assume I meant milk?

A person mentioned above that you can find proper milk i.e. raw milk in Tesco, but I very much doubt it.

Give it a break man. You tried to appear clever, you failed, just leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Brennan's fresh white sliced pan, just to make a sambo!

White pans & sambos is it? you guys really need to get out & travel more. There's a whole world out there, full of different breads, sauces, chocolate bars, crisps & beer....

Mind you, while you're out there don't go on too much about white/brown pans & sambos, or you might get into a spot of trouble ;)

PS: Some of the best milk sold in the UK comes from cows who get milked on this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Butter, proper butter not spread. It's hard to find decent butter on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Big pints of creamy Guinness from the pub. The cans are the same but the pints never are.

I'm living in Sweden and the steaks are crap here.
    Without pints of Guinness and nice steaks life is fairly poor I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

We are in France, we literally have the best bread in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Red lemonade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

OnDraught wrote: »
    Big pints of creamy Guinness from the pub. The cans are the same but the pints never are. I'm living in Sweden and the steaks are crap here. Without pints of Guinness and nice steaks life is fairly poor I have to say.

I think I'd get by... animaatjes-happy-3461421.gif

img10861965.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I think I'd get by... animaatjes-happy-3461421.gif

img10861965.jpg

Where I live all the mots have burkas on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

McCrack wrote: »
    Thats some amount of ****e to be eating

Agree totally and very little of it woulld I associate with Ireland either.

It’s definitely not what An Bord Bia would be promoting abroad.

When I lived abroad I missed the quality of our meat, milk, butter and some fresh breads. (Real ones not Brennan’s or any pre packaged ****e.) Guinness, Irish Breakfast, proper good sandwiches and good cheeses.

Ireland is great food country for fresh produce not the stuff in that picture, which is mostly British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Most Irish foods I don't miss much abroad but proper milk is definitely something which is hard to get in other countries. Even in the UK it's not great.
    Obviously the tea abroad is no addition but we always have a Barry's tea open with a spare box in reserve, topped up on spins to ireland or by visitors, so with that and butter catered for we are happy enough to be honest.

A lot of hotels and restaurants in Germany use Eilles tea which is really nice. I bought some off Amazon DE a while back I liked it so much. I don't know where you can actually buy it in Germany though, apart from in Eilles shops which are few and far between.

Although most of the tea they sell in supermarkets are muck. I got a few boxes of different Messmer teas in Germany and most of them were horrible!

Seriously, Brennan!s bread is awful factory processed rubbish that is full of chemicals. Fresh bread should not stay soft for a week as Brennan’s does.

How do you think it is nicer than lovely French fresh baguettes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

HB icebergers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

three in one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Cans of Harp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

In China for over 4 years things I miss the most are:

sausages - can only get German style sausages but they're not nearly as good.

Bread - can find decent baguettes the odd time but bread is China is sweet and weird.

Barry's tea - Can find tea but it's usually expensive and week so you need 2 or 3 teabags to make a decent cup.

Milk - I very rarely drink milk here so I don't miss it too much but it's nearly impossible to find non uht milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Most countries sell decent milk
    Can be quite hard to find in eastern Asian countries, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

A decent roll. Butter, spicy chicken, cheese, onion, peppers, ketchup.

The europeans can make decent bread, but no idea what to put in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Oranage2 wrote: »

Bread - can find decent baguettes the odd time but bread is China is sweet and weird.

Barry's tea - Can find tea but it's usually expensive and week so you need 2 or 3 teabags to make a decent cup.

Milk - I very rarely drink milk here so I don't miss it too much but it's nearly impossible to find non uht milk

You're in China and you can't find decent tea???!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Actually yeah, I forgot sausages. The only ones you could get (outside specialty shops) were these ugly brown perfectly cylindrical tubes of fat with rubbery casings that split and then curled on frying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You're in China and you can't find decent tea???!?!?

Haha, i also can't find a decent chicken curry here either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Used to spend a good bit of time in Poland and was always surprised the "hot counter" had never arrived there. Ya know, the ones you find everywhere here with sausages, sausage rolls, wedges and all that.

They love their sausages and all that - I think a chain of hot counters would be a gold mine over there

Sam Kade wrote: »
    the Guinness in Manchester was poured straight into the glass and severed immediately, tasted like dyke water. I tried explaining to the barman about how to pour a pint of Guinness but is was a waste of time.

A sidenote but the whole 'two-pour' pint thing is a myth, albeit fantastically effective marketing. The Guinness in the England used to taste different because it was brewed in England and wasn't the same stuff. It all comes from Dublin now.

The method of pouring has no effect on the taste of a pint, how on earth could it? Every now and then you meet an honest barman or guinness employee who will admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Living in NZ and it is impossible to get real sausages, all beef sausages here, when I lived in Aus you get could get decent sausages in some international store but theres nothing here!
    In saying that, when I go home I miss pints of Kilkenny!
    The other lads really miss McDonells curry sauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

the irish italian chipper!! Missed it for ages while living in Argentina and then found this place in Buenos Aires http://www.chipperfishandchips.com/ . A godsend !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Rashers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

spice bags & porridge #studentLife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Ryanair - I miss the ability to get a cheap flight for a weekend trip.

Bacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

TimeUp wrote: »
    What Irish product do you miss the most when you travel abroad?

to Spain, France, England...?

What is it you can't live without that is only sold in Ireland?

The difference in food & drink in England is so small by comparison to France & Spain, where they really do practice different eating & drinking habits with totally different brands!

In England, just a few brands of the same product, but with a different name on the packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Many countries have good breakfast tea but in others it can be hard to come by. I always bring tea bags in case it's a bad tea country. I love trying local food but I don't like coffee so bringing tea bags is a holiday must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Ryanair - I miss the ability to get a cheap flight for a weekend trip.

Bacon
    Yes this is a big one for me too, NZ is just so far away from everything

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So would you literally swap Barry's for all the tea in China?

As a non tea drinker, how is it possible that Ireland has nicer tea than the rest of the world? I mean, it doesn't grow in Cork, does it?

Or is it just one of those weird Irish preferences like thinking risky gristle tubes are better than actual sausages with meat in?

Rashers, steak, lamb and milk are all vastly superior in Ireland on the other hand, and I do miss the crisps. I honestly can't tell the difference between butter here and there, though.

The tea in Germany is brilliant. Places with a whole variety of flavours. Fell in love with some vanilla tea i got there

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Used to spend a good bit of time in Poland and was always surprised the "hot counter" had never arrived there. Ya know, the ones you find everywhere here with sausages, sausage rolls, wedges and all that.

They love their sausages and all that - I think a chain of hot counters would be a gold mine over there

There is a reason that "food" like that is not popular abroad you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

osarusan wrote: »
    Actually yeah, I forgot sausages. The only ones you could get (outside specialty shops) were these ugly brown perfectly cylindrical tubes of fat with rubbery casings that split and then curled on frying.
    You're not selling those to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously, Brennan!s bread is awful factory processed rubbish that is full of chemicals. Fresh bread should not stay soft for a week as Brennan’s does.

How do you think it is nicer than lovely French fresh baguettes?

Brennan's bread doesn't stay soft for more than a few days, never mind a week! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

If in the UK, Tayto/King crisps, white pudding, Superquinn sausages.

If elsewhere in Europe, Tayto/King crisps, white pudding, Superquinn sausages, cheddar cheese, instant coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

fmpisces wrote: »
    I lived in Portugal for several months years ago and the one thing I missed was a decent sausage! All I could get were these very pink "sausages" that just did not measure up to the real Irish sausage.
    Other than that the food was gorgeous.

You mean the Irish style "sausages" that contain soy, rusk, breadcrumbs and sawdust?
    You won't find those in Europe, because anyone trying to sell these would have been put in the stocks on the market place and pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes for selling rubbish like that.
    You'll have to make do with several hundred types of sausage ranging from smoked to fresh with a wide variety of flavors (even though these flavours don't come from a bottle). ;)

If anyone misses proper Irish "bread", a block of Styrofoam tastes the same. As for soda bread, anything that doesn't use yeast as a raising agent is a scone and never bread.

Breakfast Roll or fry-up, thankfully not available.

Guinness, well, never my cup oft tea.

Speaking of tea, when they make the proper tea, they sweep up at the end and put that into Barry's and Lyon's.

And a picture of a lot of colorful chemicals was posted earlier, you get that here as well, but it doesn't qualify as food. That's just e-numbers wrapped up in plastic. :D

Ich hole meinen Mantel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^^^

Angus Von Bismarck apprentice.

Good effort but you need to work on your condescension. B-

You mean the Irish style "sausages" that contain soy, rusk, breadcrumbs and sawdust?
    You won't find those in Europe, because anyone trying to sell these would have been put in the stocks on the market place and pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes for selling rubbish like that.
    You'll have to make do with several hundred types of sausage ranging from smoked to fresh with a wide variety of flavors (even though these flavours don't come from a bottle). ;)

If anyone misses proper Irish "bread", a block of Styrofoam tastes the same. As for soda bread, anything that doesn't use yeast as a raising agent is a scone and never bread.

Breakfast Roll or fry-up, thankfully not available.

Guinness, well, never my cup oft tea.

Speaking of tea, when they make the proper tea, they sweep up at the end and put that into Barry's and Lyon's.

I couldn't disagree more with everything it that post. All the above I could not be without and miss them greatly when away for even a week (hence I bring Barry's gold blend tea bags with me and in the past we have brought vacuum packed sausages, pudding etc when going on holidays). Its close to impossible to get a decent breakfast outside Ireland and the UK who make a reasonable attempt. Its almost impossible to get a decent sandwich outside of Ireland and the US who do have some great sandwich places (even the UK don't have proper delis).

I couldn't disagree more with everything it that post. All the above I could not be without and miss them greatly when away for even a week (hence I bring Barry's gold blend tea bags with me and in the past we have brought vacuum packed sausages, pudding etc when going on holidays).

Lol. I can just imagine it. No need to be eating that foreign muck when you've got your vacuum packed sausages I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

• The Tay for sure,
    • Bread also,
    • The spuds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

white pudding and chicken fillet rolls
    tea too, but yorkshire tea isnt too bad a substitue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^^^

Angus Von Bismarck apprentice.

Good effort but you need to work on your condescension. B-

Well, I am seeing it from the other side.
    Came over to Ireland in the 90's and was horrified.
    One type of bread (white sliced), one type of tea (well, 2 brands), coffee was Maxwell House, one type of sausage (ingredients: 30% rusk), one type of cheese and sauce where I come from does not come from a bottle. Ketchup yes, but sauce is something that involves a long and complicated cooking process.
    Recipe for everything was "throw in pot and boil till definitely dead" and the zenith of Irish cuisine was the Snack Box.
    Beer was Guinness (nothing against Guinness, but it doesn't like me), Horse Piss and Chemical Waste.
    It was quite a culture shock. I will never recover from it.
    Actually we need a second thread.
    "Things that horrified you when you came to Ireland". It will feature the same products.
    (c'mon, I'm just slightly taking the proverbial here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

McCrack wrote: »
    Thats some amount of ****e to be eating

That's to last me a few months though.
    It's a bit costly to get stuff shipped over here, so I only do it every so often.
    I don't eat snacks in general over here, so it's just a little treat and piece of home to look forward to now and again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement