Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Irish product do you miss the most when you travel abroad?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Do they sell raw milk in Tesco?

They do in Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street, Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If someone could deliver a proper chicken fillet roll (spicy, lettuce, mayo and sweetcorn) to a pregnant lady in north London that would be fantastic. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Patww79 wrote: »
    I think they're the ones he meant, though it's unlikely there's sawdust in them.

You really are very cosmopolitan though. You should be proud of your life.

Common as muck, me. And living in a town in Bavaria with 3500 inhabitants. The main road sometimes closes for the cows.
    But people take beer, bread, sausages and cheese very seriously here. :D
    I remember when Budweiser was the beer sold at the 2006 world cup.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bud-kicks-up-world-cup-brew-haha/
    https://www.thelocal.de/20100623/28047

A while ago Budweiser couldn't even be sold in Germany, or called beer. It may still come under the toxic substances act...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

They really don't do 'proper' tea outside of Ireland or the UK. It always tastes a little bit off.

Irish or British style tea isn't done outside of the UK or Ireland and if so it's mainly by expats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A sidenote but the whole 'two-pour' pint thing is a myth, albeit fantastically effective marketing. The Guinness in the England used to taste different because it was brewed in England and wasn't the same stuff. It all comes from Dublin now.

The method of pouring has no effect on the taste of a pint, how on earth could it? Every now and then you meet an honest barman or guinness employee who will admit it.

Less of the destroying Orish heritage. poring Guinness is something that only Irish people can do.

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Red lemonade

In fairness, that's not even real lemonade. It should be made from real lemons IMO

I couldn't disagree more with everything it that post. All the above I could not be without and miss them greatly when away for even a week (hence I bring Barry's gold blend tea bags with me and in the past we have brought vacuum packed sausages, pudding etc when going on holidays). Its close to impossible to get a decent breakfast outside Ireland and the UK who make a reasonable attempt. Its almost impossible to get a decent sandwich outside of Ireland and the US who do have some great sandwich places (even the UK don't have proper delis).

No harm in trying out the local foods when abroad. I always found it part of the experience. Also many countries don't allow you to bring in certain foods, especially meat.

Continental breakfasts can be great and the breakfasts from Canada and the US can be tasty too from my experience although it can be very sugary and heavy

I disagree about the sandwiches also, my favourite sandwich place is an Italian deli and it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

YOUR MA's homemade stew - not a product but you know what I mean, like, nothing like mammy's stew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Irish farmed beef, (or wild) mussels, oysters, venison and Irish farmed lamb. That's all.

The rest of the plastic Paddy crap like tea, sandwiches, crisps, spuds, breakfast rolls etc... invasive British junk food swilled by the peasants and the ignorant that can't appreciate proper Irish food. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have to say a lot of Irish food culture dosen't sit well with me the biggest one being a fried breakfast. Maybe its just but the thought of eating fried food or any sort of substantial meal first thing in the morning just dosen't sit well with me.

Most Irish food is quite wholesome and hearty so if I was to go to a warm climate I don't think I'd be able to stomach bacon and cabbage or stew. When I'm in a warm climate I like something light and to drink I'd like something cold and refreshing like a beer or a soft drink rather than a hot drink like tea. We like our hot food here in Ireland because of our crap weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I couldn't explain it any better !
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    I have to say a lot of Irish food culture dosen't sit well with me the biggest one being a fried breakfast. Maybe its just but the thought of eating fried food or any sort of substantial meal first thing in the morning just dosen't sit well with me.

Most Irish food is quite wholesome and hearty so if I was to go to a warm climate I don't think I'd be able to stomach bacon and cabbage or stew. When I'm in a warm climate I like something light and to drink I'd like something cold and refreshing like a beer or a soft drink rather than a hot drink like tea. We like our hot food here in Ireland because of our crap weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I love Irish meat, fish and dairy. It is as good as it gets. That's not to say other countries don't have good meat, fish or diary; it is that Irish lamb, beef, pig, fish and butter can't really be beaten in my opinion.

I also really like some of the drinks we do here like Chieftain or Murphy's. But then again its not like other countries can't do a good pint as well.

Advertisement