Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

And the now availabilty of smart phones with cameras.

We would very likely have images from inside the towers appearing across social media.

Thank god for small mercies then. I heard some of the phone calls coming out of the towers before they collapsed on a tv documentary. Bone chilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was at home. A friend who worked as cabin crew sent me a message telling me to switch on the telly. We had a 14 inch portable tv. the picture was dire.

I went to a bar in a local hotel that had a big screen TV. Golf was playing. The barman refused to change the channel and I had to get the manager to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I was at work. No tv/internet/radio.

My boyfriend at the time phoned because he couldn't get the Sky Tv in the Apartment to work. He had had an Exam that morning. While we were on the phone the TV came back on and it was on the Channel. At that point the first plane had hit and they still thought that it could have been an Accident. While we were still on the phone the second plane hit.

I couldn't focus on work after that. None of us could so our boss at the time told us all to go home. I remember taking a Taxi home because I just wanted to be there (normally it was a 30 min walk).
    We watched Sky/Fox News for the rest of the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

At last, at last.
    Are you issued with one of those pocket knives bearing your army's name along with your nation's colours and insignia, please don't disappoint?

You have to be strong now. We were only issued with a generic pocket knife. Like this one:

silver-ribbed-pocket-knife.jpg

It spent years in my backpack, and was taken off me by some over eager security guy in Dublin airport a few years back.

I feel like I'm just after fullfilling some horrible stereotype that's actually true. Is that what Irish people feel like when they explain to someone that Tato land is a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I was in 6th class. I was on the school bus coming home and the bus driver had the radio on and I remember hearing a lady talking about a plane crashing but I didn't understand. Got off the school bus with my brother and my mum was standing at the front door waiting for us which was unusual. She asked us if we had heard what happened and showed us the tv. I'll never forget seeing the clip of the second plane hitting the tower for the first time. I remember seeing the clip of the news readers who realised live on air what was happening as they saw the second plane hit, the looks on their faces as they announced America was under attack.

My brother (9) kept missing the video of the plane hitting, when he finally saw it later that evening I'll never forget his look of absolute horror and upset and "but mum why would someone do that to those people?" Heartbreaking.

As a few other posters mentioned, for me that was when my view of the world changed and I grew up a bit in a sense. I was old enough to understand all the pictures and discussion and know what it meant. Went into school the next day and the whole class were talking about World War 3. Scary times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The pilots trained at flight schools and with sinulators. The flight paths of their aircraft show they followed river courses from the air and their targets were hard to miss. The WTC and Pentagon can be seen from tens of miles away. Not hard for a person with rudimentary skills. The pilots never trained to land which is the most difficult maneuver. They obviously didn't have to.

Yeah right, flying a plane into a building isn't like crashing a car into one. The nonsense some people believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

The pilots trained at flight schools and with sinulators. The flight paths of their aircraft show they followed river courses from the air and their targets were hard to miss. The WTC and Pentagon can be seen from tens of miles away. Not hard for a person with rudimentary skills. The pilots never trained to land which is the most difficult maneuver. They obviously didn't have to.

I wont debate it much more,visibility being good or bad wasnt a point i would consider important.Handling-hand flying a 70ton and 180 ton jet at max airspeed at two objects roughtly the the width of a runway and hitting them with zero experience is questionable.Im not a tin foil hat person and im sorry for partially derailling the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Yeah right, flying a plane into a building isn't like crashing a car into one. The nonsense some people believe.

What makes you think it would be so difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    You have to be strong now. We were only issued with a generic pocket knife. Like this one:

silver-ribbed-pocket-knife.jpg

It spent years in my backpack, and was taken off me by some over eager security guy in Dublin airport a few years back.

I feel like I'm just after fullfilling some horrible stereotype that's actually true. Is that what Irish people feel like when they explain to someone that Tato land is a thing?

What, no toothpick?
    I'm crestfallen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I was at a friends house after his mother collected us from school. We were 11 years old. Back then I believed the nonsense the mainstream media put out about what happened. Nowadays I don't believe the official story. I don't know what happened, I'm no expert but I don't believe that the impact of the planes and the subsequent fires are what brought down the buildings, including building 7 which wasn't hit by a plane but still collapsed as free fall speed.

I believe there must have been some kind of controlled demolition and It's extremely unlikely that was carried out without assist from some facets of the US government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

What, no toothpick?
    I'm crestfallen.

You have to focus on the essential things. It does have a bottle opener. Not the screw type for corked bottles though, we're not french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

If you believe the official story, then you really need to leave the human race and go and live in a flange of baboons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Basal wrote: »
    If you believe the official story, then you really need to leave the human race and go and live in a flange of baboons.

Why exactly?

Before you elucidate, can you just hang on while I get an extra large bucket of popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Had Basketball match with school and I was able to get dropped off after game so was home for 2ish so felt like day off.

Anyway I used always check teletext when got home mostly to check the Football news trsnsfers etc

Saw it on main headline that plane had hit Trade Centre. Just turned over to Sky News to see 2nd plane hit. Then was just watched it all unfold. My aunt worked in Pentegon(she was only stationed there for few weeks was working in England mostly, she had nothing do with defense more a enginerring project) at time so my Dad was concerned for bit but she was outside when happened and got news she was fine pretty quickly.

Pretty sure that following friday was bank Holiday in Ireland as mark of respect. Im sure we got day off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wahey knew you lot would appear. Illuminati is it? The space monkeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I was 15 years old and in 3rd year of secondary school - Maths class if I recall correctly.

I remember a commotion in the hall outside the classroom and a girl running in saying something about a plane crash in America but we didn't fully understand what was happening.

When I came from school my Mother was watching sky news and they were showing footage of smoke billowing out of Manhattan - the Towers had fallen at that stage. I remember asking her what movie she was watching! She told me what happened then and as she did so they showed footage of the first plane hitting - it didn't look real.

I remember finding it very hard to concentrate on anything for the rest of the day.

It's hard to believe it's been 16 years - the footage of that day is as horrific today as it was when we watched it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

At work in IBM in Dublin 15 (original not Damastown). The reaction was horrific. Many people had colleagues based at the twin towers, many Americans on site. Sheer panic, then sadness, then anger. IBM incidentally did not close its doors for the day of mourning, operating business as normal. I personally thought it was disgraceful, as did many others. A few of us donated our wages from the day to one of the charities. *For full disclosure, I was not an employee of IBM*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I heard some of the phone calls coming out of the towers before they collapsed on a tv documentary. Bone chilling.

Discretion advised. Seriously. It's all audio but it's heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    On the rooftop in my Brooklyn apartment watching the second plane crash. Pretty stunning at the time but i do wish people would stop yabbering on about it as it was 16 years ago ffs.

Tell that to the victims and their families.

How could you be so detached and unaffected after witnessing it first hand?

• Advertisement

Before you elucidate, can you just hang on while I get an extra large bucket of popcorn.

Right away you go, but at the first mention of the grassy knoll I'm out of here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Why exactly?

Because basically it's absolute b0llox

This is probably gonna drag on for ages but what's your stance on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

which part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

His right do some research you find out quickly the official narrative has holes in it. The fact the George Bush (white house) administration went to great lengths to hide the 29 pages of a public (investigation) inquiry about 9/11 for 16 years, should in all fairness be a wake up call for people interested in this subject. Why would you hide information about Saudi spies and government officials meeting the 9/11 Terrorists before the event occurred? This withholding of information only happens when you don't want the news media and public knowing about it. Anyone with a brain can see WTC7 the third tower came down from a controlled demolition.

His right do some research you find out quickly the official narrative has holes in it. The fact the George Bush (white house) administration went to great lengths to hide the 29 pages of a public (investigation) inquiry about 9/11 for 16 years, should in all fairness be a wake up call for people interested in this subject. Why would you hide information about Saudi spies and government officials meeting the 9/11 Terrorists before the event occurred? This withholding of information only happens when you don't want the news media and public knowing about it. Anyone with a brain can see WTC7 the third tower came down from a controlled demolition.

You believed an advertising balloon was an alien aircraft in a thread you started or something to that effect and you see pulsating skies. Forgive me for being critical of your opinion here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

was in college at the time

fella beside me had photos of him and friends being up on the viewing platform of the twin towers
    he was up there the day before the attack.

watched it all unfold on the big screen in the college bar.
    I felt so sorry for for the US visiting students watching it all unfold.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You believed an advertising balloon was an alien aircraft in a thread you started or something to that effect and you see pulsating skies. Forgive me for being critical of your opinion here.

Did you even read my posts or just assume a believe i said? I ruled out it being a 'Brass knuckles' balloon and you people readily accepted was the explanation. False. Even with just a quick search you find out Brass Knuckles is a drug company not an advertising company. The caller who rang the police station got feedback the balloon was a car advertisement? Use your brain this means the balloon was made by a different company? Only i as far i can see saw this.

Pulsating skies, was a personal experience. I don't give a crap if you don't believe it happened, i provided sourcing were other people across Ireland experienced similar like things, same time, same date as i did.

Pulsating skies, was a personal experience. I don't give a crap if you don't believe it happened, i provided sourcing were other people across Ireland experienced similar like things, same time, same date as i did.

tinfoil-hat-guy.jpg

tinfoil-hat-guy.jpg

Childish not surprising.

Reality.
    The terrorists lived in America for 2 years. For Terrorists with little English they would have needed handlers and people within the United States helping them. No terrorist is just going to arrive in a foreign country and have no help. Nobody ask why would Saudi Arabia help Al Qaeda? Are you stupid they are the chief financiers of the group! If you want to believe guys dressed in robes, hanging out in caves planned 9/11 ok that's fine, but don't expect everyone to believe this nonsense.

• Advertisement

Childish not surprising.

Reality.
    The terrorists lived in America for 2 years. For Terrorists with little English they would have needed handlers and people within the United States helping them. No terrorist is just going to arrive in a foreign country and have no help. Nobody ask why would Saudi Arabia help Al Qaeda? Are you stupid they are the chief financiers of the group! If you want to believe guys dressed in robes, hanging out in caves planned 9/11 ok that's fine, but don't expect everyone to believe this nonsense.

I never disputed any of that. I just find your posts a bit nuts so when you say ''anyone with a brain can see xyz'' forgive me if I take it with a sea full of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Came home at lunch hour from secondary school. Watched a bit of the sky news with an uncle. Remember talk of ww3 starting , still watch the documentaries with interest - will we ever know "was it an inside job" .. I personally think they had knowledge of the attack and it suited them to let it happen .. but all we can do is guess to be honest.. tragic loss of life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I had just started 5th class. We had a student teacher in for a few weeks and bizarrely she had been teaching us about New York, handing around photos etc. Our homework the night before was to imagine you'd moved to NY and write a diary entry about your first few days there...

When I got out of school and into the car, my mum told me she'd just heard about a plane crashing there. We got home & turned on Sky just after the 2nd plane hit. I remember sitting watching it all evening and not wanting to go to bed that night. I'm kind of glad my parents let me watch it - at 9, almost 10, years old - but it was really the first time I realised people could want to deliberately harm complete strangers for what seemed like no reason. Definitely a milestone for people of my age - for a lot of us, it's the first big news story we remember & a loss of some innocence.

I never disputed any of that. I just find your posts a bit nuts so when you say ''anyone with a brain can see xyz'' forgive me if I take it with a sea full of salt.

I research a subject before jumping to conclusions. All the doubters were ready to accept the' Brass Knuckles' explanation as the answer. Why did it not click with anyone when posters found out the company was a cannabis/Vaping pen company? They still in further posts believed the balloon belonged to Brass Knuckles..

Interesting thought:

There are now children that are learning about the September 11th attacks in secondary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

somefeen wrote: »
    What makes you think it would be so difficult?
    Experienced pilots with years of flying said it would be impossible at the speeds they were travelling, they tried it themselves on simulators and could only hit the buildings at landing speed. The slightest twitch of the controls would send the plane off course.

tinfoil-hat-guy.jpg

Absolutely bang on.
    I'll never again be able to read any of Cheerful Spring's inane ramblings without seeing this picture.
    Thanks for posting, the best laughs are the unexpected ones!

Absolutely bang on.
    I'll never again be able to read any of Cheerful Spring's inane ramblings without seeing this picture.
    Thanks for posting, the best laughs are the unexpected ones!

Since you have nothing constructive to reply with, you resort to childish postings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

tinfoil-hat-guy.jpg

Don't mock the hat. We could all be wearing them in a few years.....

"Researchers Hack Brainwaves to Reveal PINs, Other Personal Data"
    https://www.wired.com/2012/08/brainwave-hacking/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    (note: I'm swiss) I was in the army, in basic training, and it was "survival" week. Which is a week towards the end of training where everyone camps out in the forrest with nothing but a few canopies, you live off beans and toast, and you are sent out for shooting exercises after barely sleeping 3 hours in the wet and cold. We were all 20 year old lads and none of us took the whole army thing very seriously (who'd attack Switzerland?). But when they rounded us up, brought us into a small room and showed us a video of the attacks I'd lie if I said I wasn't sh1tting myself a little. It was quite clear that America would not react to this sort of thing with diplomacy, so at least my mind went crazy wondering about scenarios like WW3.

One of the most surreal moments of my life.

I don't know if you caught it, but there was a documentary crew filming a Marine unit following recruits going through training at the time. https://youtu.be/g28SkX23jZk?t=989
    Interesting thought:

There are now children that are learning about the September 11th attacks in secondary school.

Could be worse. I was at the Marine Corps Museum a whiles back, they have a wall taken up by a timeline of the day. Mom was taking the kid around... "This happened before you were born".

In two years's time, folks will be joining the military who weren't born in 9/11. Then folks will be going to Afghanistan who weren't born when we invaded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Experienced pilots with years of flying said it would be impossible at the speeds they were travelling, they tried it themselves on simulators and could only hit the buildings at landing speed. The slightest twitch of the controls would send the plane off course.

I find the slightest twitch of the controls thing a bit hard to believe since most airliners have a system which makes control inputs smaller or harder as airspeed increases.
    The yoke action that might result in a 20 degree deflection of control surfaces on the ground might only cause a 5 degree defection at speed.

I'm not an expert by any means so the above numbers are only an example but you get what I mean.

The hijackers flying experience as we know is they were trained on flight simulators and learned how to fly Cessna type planes. Only the flight simulator would have given them the experience and feel of what it be like to fly a commercial airliner. I believe a plane did strike the Pentagon, but i believe we don't have all the information where the pilot hijackers learned to fly.

The 757 American airline plane has a max speed of 493mph, Hani Hanjour the pilot hijacker pushed the throttle just above this speed for 2 to 4 seconds when it dived low to about 2 to 4 feet from the ground to strike the first floor of the Pentagon wall. Experienced pilots say this maneuver would be impossible as the plane was not designed to fly like a fighter jet? This is true. There is lot of unknowns how a trainee pilot managed to pull off a experienced pilot action? Why did Hani Hanjour do a u-turn of the Pentagon? On approach he could have just hit the Pentagon at the top, instead he did a u turn of the plane and came in lower.

Strange thing and this is factual. The place were the plane hit was the accounting section of the Pentagon. This is where the investigation to find out where the trillions of dollars missing, from the Pentagon budget, disappeared to was been looked into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Then folks will be going to Afghanistan who weren't born when we invaded...
    'We'...?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

endacl wrote: »
    'We'...?

I'm in the US Army and as you can see from the location, am typing from the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I was driving back to work after lunch and heard it on the radio but it didn't sink in until I got to work and saw the television screen. By then the second plane had hit and everyone was just stood looking at the television in shock.

• Advertisement

I'm in the US Army and as you can see from the location, am typing from the US.

Has that ever happened? Where soldiers get involved in a war that started before they were born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

I was after flying back from New York on the evening of the 10th, landed in Dublin on the morning of the 11th which was a Tuesday for my graduation (spent the summer working on the Jersey shore)
    I was at the WTC the Saturday before and we were going to go up to the top but didnt bother in the end as it was $14 and we were poor students after a summer of excess.
    So went to my graduation and on the way back in the car I sleepily heard the news (hadn't slept the night before)

I suspected this for a long time, but it good to see this coming out now, well least in a official court, people are hearing the truth. The proceedings against Saudi Arabia, is great to see. More stuff could potentially leak out? If they can get proof the Saudi Government sanctioned a dry run, of 9/11 it be a smoking gun of their involvement. If Saudi Government knew, and it's a US ally, the potential for a even bigger conspiracy could emerge from this.

The Story published a few days ago.
    Fresh evidence submitted in a major 9/11 lawsuit moving forward against the Saudi Arabian government reveals its embassy in Washington may have funded a “dry run” for the hijackings carried out by two Saudi employees, further reinforcing the claim that employees and agents of the kingdom directed and aided the 9/11 hijackers and plotters.

he court filing provides new details that paint “a pattern of both financial and operational support” for the 9/11 conspiracy from official Saudi sources, lawyers for the plaintiffs say. In fact, the Saudi government may have been involved in underwriting the attacks from the earliest stages — including testing cockpit security.

“We’ve long asserted that there were longstanding and close relationships between al Qaeda and the religious components of the Saudi government,” said Sean Carter, the lead attorney for the 9/11 plaintiffs. “This is further evidence of that.”

Lawyers representing Saudi Arabia last month filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, which may finally be headed toward trial now that Congress has cleared diplomatic-immunity hurdles. A Manhattan federal judge has asked the 9/11 plaintiffs, represented by lead law firm Cozen O’Connor, to respond to the motion by November.

Citing FBI documents, the complaint alleges that the Saudi students — Mohammed al-Qudhaeein and Hamdan al-Shalawi — were in fact members of “the Kingdom’s network of agents in the US,” and participated in the terrorist conspiracy.

They had trained at al Qaeda camps in Afghanistan at the same time some of the hijackers were there. And while living in Arizona, they had regular contacts with a Saudi hijacker pilot and a senior al Qaeda leader from Saudi now incarcerated at Gitmo. At least one tried to re-enter the US a month before the attacks as a possible muscle

Read more enlightening stuff.
    http://nypost.com/2017/09/09/saudi-government-allegedly-funded-a-dry-run-for-911/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Was in Leaving Cert. Information on something started to come through after lunch, and by day's end had reached ridiculous notions. First I heard was "Palestinians attacked New York with planes!" then missiles were added and on the way home, the casualty figure was 100,000+ with the US Army about to invade the West Bank. Was quite surreal to catch up on it all watching dinner that evening. It just kept playing over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm almost sure I was at the post office that day. I can't be definite though. Letters were more popular in those days. It was the golden age of communication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement