Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9/11

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

The top quater of the building would have been week, but how did the whole building just collapse into it's own footprint the way it did, both towers collapsed the very same. I even thought it was strange as an 11 year old.

Gravity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Gravity

The official NIST report on WTC-7's collapse states that the building fell at free fall speed for almost 3 seconds. The only plausible explanation for that is controlled demolition. Any other explanation would require major revisions to Sir Isaac Newton's 3rd law...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ding Ding
    Round 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Naudet brothers documentary was on rte 2 last night. Still a interesting watch and only footage of first plane hitting

Hardly any footage on youtube now, all removed. Was good to remember it, see it play out as it did live, but no footage now, weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Still quite a bit up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hardly any footage on youtube now, all removed. Was good to remember it, see it play out as it did live, but no footage now, weird.

There’s still plenty!

There’s still plenty!

I know, but I recall far more, and in HD. It was 2001 not 1971, the clips up now are so poor in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I know, but I recall far more, and in HD. It was 2001 not 1971, the clips up now are so poor in quality.

I've that the quality of videos on youtube has gone downhill. I've seen some of the above in full hd in the last couple of years but now they looked like they were filmed with vaseline covered lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

HD video recording and broadcasting wasn't big in any real way until the mid-late 2000s, well after the event.

Some TV cameras may have been recording in HD, but most broadcasts wouldn't have been, and certainly none of the handheld cameras in New York at the time were HD.

So the bulk of what appeared on YouTube were people filming their TV in SD, or TiVO recordings of SD broadcasts.

Over time, companies have realised there's money in 9/11 specials and have progressively been getting videos pulled down from YouTube for breaching copyright.

Hence all you're left with is the really crappy stuff.

But I don't recall seeing any HD stuff really. This footage came out a few weeks ago, restored and upscaled. It's incredible to see in actual HD: https://twistedsifter.com/videos/raw-911-footage-restored-and-enhanced/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was on a college placement. Word started going around that a plane has crashed into a building in NY, thinking it was probably a light plane, or a single seater, I got on with my work. Then noticed the place was oddly quiet, and no one to be seen. Everyone was gathered around every available TV, and glued.

Shocked silent, joined them all, and continued to watch the footage after getting home.

The 7/7 attacks in London, resulted in a similar reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

One more day until our betters get to call us uninformed sheeple who shouldn't believe mainstream media, while linking youtube videos of gish gallops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No matter how much time goes by I don’t think the images from that day will ever lose their horror. I still struggle to watch the footage.

Hard to believe it’s been 17 years - where did the time go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

At work with no TVs just radio then the internet crashed as everyone was trying to log on. Bad for a public Government office. Few of us got off as early as we could and went to the pub down the road around 4.45pm to watch the news. They had a huge screen. First time I've had the hairs stand on the back of my neck.

Prior to the modern fake news/conspiracy theory meltdowns, I seen one of the Corbett Reports called "Follow the Money".
    Unprecedented amounts (trillions) went missing from the top financial centers in the towers and pentagon the day before. Interesting documentary true or nay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A relative of mine died around the time and I'd still have being at primary school.
    We were busy enough at home due to this and there wasn't much time for watching the TV. I think I put on videos etc.
    I found it sad that all those people died but I wasn't a child to get upset easily/start crying.
    From what I remember in the days after some people were playing 9/11 at school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I was at work when the news broke that an airplane had crashed into one of the WTC towers. At first it was reported that it was an accident but when the second tower was hit, followed by the attack on the Pentagon and the plane crash in Pennsylvania it was obvious that what was going on was terrorism. I don't think I have ever travelled home as quickly as I did after work that day and I was glued to the TV coverage until the early hours of the morning. BTW I still have a copy of the Irish Examiner of the following day, Sep.12th, which was dominated by reports of the attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The bank hotel, Newtown, Sydney. Sitting at the bar with a buddy and the barman points our attention to the tv. It took us about 5 mins for it to register that what was on the tv was actually real footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Was on the school bus home, young teen at the time and heard some vague whisper that something had happened in NY.

Got home to find the family watching footage of one of the towers falling down on the news, quite an image which has stuck with me since.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Was at my sons graduation in UL. The first I heard about it was when we left the hall after the cermony. There was a complete air of disbelief around the campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I was on my way home from work.

Then had a sandwich and a ****. Watched it on T.V for the afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Would've been only 7, almost 8, at the time. Can't say I remember a shred of what happened that day, can't recall watching it on the news or anything.

I've done a good bit of reading about it since. Absolutely incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

In transition year.

Stomach sinking scenes.

I remember when I was in college it was ten years since 9/11 and I remember I sait to somebody who's have being 10/11 at the time. They has no idea what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blimey is it international November 11th day already?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

My husband was in a plane back from South Asia. He had to go through heathrow. He’d been there for 3 weeks and I was dying to see him. I thought he’d never get home ie I was so scared America would start shooting down planes that heathrow wouldn’t let his plane land or his plane to Ireland take off. My Mam rang me to tell me to turn in sky news and I watched the second plane go through the twin tower and seen them fall. I’ll never forget how scared I was that day

We had the Luxury of no internet or SKY/BBC news back then.

Where were you?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Blimey is it international November 11th day already?

Nov 9th?

Probably. I'm so old and addled by Americanisms entering our un-American everyday modes of thinking and speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Had been working night shift the night before and woke around 17:00 to the Last Word doing active reporting and analysis.
    Thought it was a skit or dramatisation for several minutes and only confirmed it was real by switching to radio 1 and confirmed they were covering the same thing. Turned on the TV then and watched it till after midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Where were you?!

Read my first post, and you'll find out.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Had just finished a cycling session at Manchester velodrome, and got in the car to head back to the office when reports of a plane crash started coming over on the radio.

Initially it was suggested a small plane had crashed into one of the twin towers, and no indication of terrorism.

Turned the TV on when I got to the office. At that stage there was little idea of what had happened, until there was live footage of another plane hitting the 2nd tower.

Was transfixed to the TV all afternoon as the whole incident unfurled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Was making my dinner before work. Gareth O Callaghan was on 2fm and was talking about the first plane having collided with the towers. I had tv on aswell watching the tour of Spain cycling. I popped on the news channel for a minute then back to the cycling and they were still cycling and the day looked normal. . As bad as it was I felt I couldn't let it take over my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Well I was in 6th class when it happened, it was about lunch time in Ireland when the planes struck, so I would have been having lunch.

Didn't see a television or hear anything from the teachers, don't think they even heard anything about it until school finished, don't think there was a radio or television in the staff room.

So I went home at 3pm, turned on the television for a few mins like I always did before doing my homework, saw the buildings on fire, thought it was a film or a film trailer at first, then Brian Dobson comes on and is stuttering through the news report and Tony Blair comes on speaking about it. And I was like "F**k, this is real!"

Spent the evening doing my homework looking at the tv in awe of what happened, even saw those poor people diving out of the building, it was terrible to watch as a 12 year old.

The next day then we went into school, and the homework copies were handed up and half the class including me, and even the smarter classmates were getting all sorts wrong in their homework, the teacher didn't give out stink like she usually did because she knew we were all stuck in the television watching it unfold.

We then had to write essays of what we saw and what we thought of what happened. Most of us got to read them out loud and everything, it was a very odd day in school. Then there was all this commotion about us getting the day off school "to mourn" or whatever. But we had to attend a mass I think it was a day or two after, and if we missed it there would have been hell to pay. Everybody showed up in uniform as requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The Boards thread from that day......

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Today, 17 years ago it happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Laois_Man wrote: »

The accronym "OMG" was really prevalent back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

Boards is so old!! My how the world has changed. Everything changed that day. The end of innocence! It's sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

"Seeing the footage of the crowds CHEERING in Jerusalum i felt sickened. Its disgusting frown.png" – From the 2001 thread.

I'm very confused – I know I heard something years ago about Israel potentially being involved, but this just does not compute in my head. Does anyone know why Israelis would be cheering this attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why so much time between posts ??

Was it the low speed internet back then or did boards not have many users (social networking/fourms bacisally none existant back then) ???

Remember I was just home from 6th class in primary when I turned on the tv and saw it on the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

"Seeing the footage of the crowds CHEERING in Jerusalum i felt sickened. Its disgusting frown.png" – From the 2001 thread.

I'm very confused – I know I heard something years ago about Israel potentially being involved, but this just does not compute in my head. Does anyone know why Israelis would be cheering this attack?

Palestinians, not Israelis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The amount of misinformation is astounding on the thread that day. 8 planes hi-jacked, 2 planes hitting the pentagon, flight shot down by an intercepting aircraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Crazy seeing '17 years ago' on the post info, doesn't seem like it. I had to go to the square (in tallaght :) ) of all places in the middle of everything happening and I remember the place seeming deserted because everyone was watching TVs wherever they could find them.

I was back in work the next day in a bookies and most of the TV's were tuned to sky news or whatever it was, showing the footage on a near endless loop. And some guy phoned up looking to place a very insensitive bet about what would happen next. Can't remember the exact details but he was told no!

It was a nice sunny day in Ireland, I remember it vividly. Even in Ireland people were scared, I can only imagine how the people of New York felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

it was the day before my junior cert results. I was finished school and was getting on the school bus that day going home when the news broke out on the school bus radio. The rest is history. I watched the tv for the whole day after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

PTH2009 wrote: »

Was it the low speed internet back then or did boards not have many users (social networking/fourms bacisally none existant back then) ???

probably most people had slow dial up connections back then. I had anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

PTH2009 wrote: »

Remember I was just home from 6th class in primary when I turned on the tv and saw it on the news

combination of connection speeds, people not being initially aware of what was happening nor the gravity of it, time of occurrence (early afternoon, Irish time), plus the non existence of smartphones and instantaneous access to the internet would have all been factors. At the time, you would had to have been in front of a computer, with online access in the middle of your working day. The majority of people simply weren't back then.

I remember being in my cubicle at Uni, working on my masters, which is why I happened to have been online at the time (I was actually on the Winamp forums in the US when the attacks occurred, and jumped onto Boards to see if there was any mention of it.

At the time, the initial train of thought was that it was an accident, until of course the second plane struck. By the time people realised there might be more to the story, the few news sites at the time were down through sheer number of people checking them. It wasn't until nearly 5:30 in the evening before I saw an actual news report on what had occurred - at a colleague's apartment who happened to have Sky installed. So I can easily understand the delays between posts at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

mike_ie wrote: »
    combination of connection speeds, people not being initially aware of what was happening nor the gravity of it, time of occurrence (early afternoon, Irish time), plus the non existence of smartphones and instantaneous access to the internet would have all been factors. At the time, you would had to have been in front of a computer, with online access in the middle of your working day. The majority of people simply weren't back then.

I remember being in my cubicle at Uni, working on my masters, which is why I happened to have been online at the time (I was actually on the Winamp forums in the US when the attacks occurred, and jumped onto Boards to see if there was any mention of it.

At the time, the initial train of thought was that it was an accident, until of course the second plane struck. By the time people realised there might be more to the story, the few news sites at the time were down through sheer number of people checking them. It wasn't until nearly 5:30 in the evening before I saw an actual news report on what had occurred - at a colleague's apartment who happened to have Sky installed. So I can easily understand the delays between posts at the time.

I was working on an IT Help Desk that day and the first I got wind of what was happening was when we began getting users complaining throughout the company that the internet had slowed to a crawl (this would have been about lunchtime or a little after). Of course, the reason was the whole world was online trying to make sense of what was going on....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I remember the BBC went to a mostly text page with one photo to help it load quicker. The slow modems in those days and the sudden demand for some pages meant we sat for a couple of minutes waiting for BBC news to load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Was driving a tower crane building the college in blanch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement