Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9/11

12345679»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    As I've said before on another thread I was in 4th year in school and at the change of class there was no teacher there. A passing teacher then said a plane had crashed into the world trade centre. I remember watching sky news the next morning and watching the live camera of the site. It's a certain generations "where were you when..." moment. I know people of a certain generation who may not remember many important things in their lives, but can remember where and who they were with when JFK died.

Indeed so. I can also clearly remember where I was when I heard that Princess Diana, Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Michael Jackson etc. had died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The real sadness is for the firefighters who gave their life heroically trying to save those in the towers. Also the many who have passed away since, due to exposure to Asbestos & all the other harmful toxins.

Yea, and cops & paramedics too. A lot of lads still suffering the aftereffects, various cancers and other chronic complaints from all the sh1t they inhaled on the day and in the aftermath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I was at my American university's London campus and we had just finished classes for the day. I was walking with friends from the classroom building back to our flats when someone came by and said a plane had run into the WTC. Everyone ended up in the very top flat and shortly after we arrived, we watched the second plane hit. Many of my classmates were in the Theater program (it was required that they spend a semester on the London campus) and had a delayed arrival because they spent the first few weeks of the semester in NYC and had just been on top of the WTC less than a week before. Everyone was shook up. We went to a play later that night, taking the Piccadilly line at King's Cross in the direction of Russell Square and I kept thinking how easy it would be to put a bomb on the Metro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I remember reading somewhere and seeing pictures of Muslims on top of roof tops in New York with binoculars awaiting the first plane.
    I recall reading that and seeing it, it was a seriously article. Inside street info, like we all have I guess. We all know someone doing something they shouldn't be, on a tiny scale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

I remember reading somewhere and seeing pictures of Muslims on top of roof tops in New York with binoculars awaiting the first plane.
    I recall reading that and seeing it, it was a seriously article. Inside street info, like we all have I guess. We all know someone doing something they shouldn't be, on a tiny scale though.

Toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

We'll blow the roof, they'll spend a month sifting through the rubble,
    and by the time they figure out what went wrong, we'll be sitting on a beach, earning 20%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah I'm gonna call BS on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It never ceases to amaze me how Idiotic and Stupid these twisted scrotes were to fly these planes into the Twin Tower's. Thousands of innocent people killed and all they accomplished was turning the crazy east into a bigger dump than it already was and won them instant Darwin Awards.

Makes you wonder how different the world would have been if this never had happened, would say the crazy east would have been far quieter and Saddam would probably be still hanging in there too.

Infini wrote: »
    Makes you wonder how different the world would have been if this never had happened, would say the crazy east would have been far quieter and Saddam would probably be still hanging in there too.

Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The real sadness is for the firefighters who gave their life heroically trying to save those in the towers. Also the many who have passed away since, due to exposure to Asbestos & all the other harmful toxins.

The asbestos stuff is a bit mental. They would never have been allowed to take the towers down given the toxic effect of it, no matter how old they got. And the cost of removing it piece by piece was astronomical. The towers were already becoming defunct as office space at the time of collapse, so interesting to see what would've happened. Surely has to be similar problems with asbestos filled towers elsewhere, although probably easier to manage the spread of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Omackeral wrote: »

The internet said so, it has to be true. Besides if you had planned one of the most spectacular attacks in history, wouldn't you tell people to go get fron row seats?

I wish I could find that piece. It's a bit like having a tip for a horse, the people in the know tell someone and before you know it everyone is backing it up and down the country.

Of course people knew what was about to happen, whether what I said is true or not I dunno. But I recall reading it, that there were people, not 100's not 1000's but a few people on roof with binoculars waiting to see this ''rumour '' arrive, and so it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There's always an extra shock when places are attacked that you once visited

I was a bit shook when the Manchester arena bombings happend as I saw a concert there in 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Yea, and cops & paramedics too. A lot of lads still suffering the aftereffects, various cancers and other chronic complaints from all the sh1t they inhaled on the day and in the aftermath.

Indeed it's reported that more have been lost to the various cancers from breathing in the asbestos filled air, that were lost on the actual day.

Something like 50% approx of all the 1st responders and people in the immediate area that day.

One of the CT angles on it is that it was the cheapest/fastest way to remove the two old towers from all their old dangerous asbestos.

I wish I could find that piece. It's a bit like having a tip for a horse, the people in the know tell someone and before you know it everyone is backing it up and down the country.

Of course people knew what was about to happen, whether what I said is true or not I dunno. But I recall reading it, that there were people, not 100's not 1000's but a few people on roof with binoculars waiting to see this ''rumour '' arrive, and so it did.

Well I'll be damned. I just googled binoculars rooftop 9/11 and this popped up. Very weird. Maybe this is what you're referring to? Muslims in Jersey held pre-planned 9/11 Celebration on Rooftop. There's a video too but I can't actually see it as I'm in work. I can link it but not sure if it's authentic or that as it's blocked in the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

I was at work, I'd only just started my first salaried job in software in July. Watched it online with workmates. Many were really shocked. Most went home early as a result. I was at home when 2nd plane hit.

Cousin of mine works/worked in the financial district. And lives about 60 mins drive north of NYC. He walked home that day and just appeared at the door that night after failing to get in contact with his family due to phone outages. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Well I'll be damned. I just googled binoculars rooftop 9/11 and this popped up. Very weird. Maybe this is what you're referring to? Muslims in Jersey held pre-planned 9/11 Celebration on Rooftop. There's a video too but I can't actually see it as I'm in work. I can link it but not sure if it's authentic or that as it's blocked in the job.

Watched the video and quite frankly it raises more questions than it answers. It's also incredibly light on hard evidence, and is presented by a far-right website with a history of running stories of dubious reliability. Not saying the story isn't true, but I'd be interested to see if there is any more evidence of the celebrations alleged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Is it just me, or was there very little about this on tv compared to previous years? 20th anniversary coming up soon enough though...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    .....The towers were already becoming defunct as office space at the time of collapse...

The towers were always defunct as office space and were one of biggest scam jobs in NY real estate when they were built, which is saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was on a North sea island and much online involved in various US chat groups. I was chatting with a friend who is a newspaper journalist in Maryland when she broke off as she said there was some kind of a plane crash going on.

Then there was online chaos. And friends kept referring distressed folk to me as I was in a peaceful place. I heard stories and reactions for the next 36 hours. Comforting and listening from a safe place.

Some had been in such personal danger.

Then when I was in the bathroom, our weekly plane went over and I ducked.... realised then I had had more than enough and went offline.

I never saw the film of the crash. Never want to. People were getting serious stress from being glued to TV etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There were loads of stories going around like this. Someone's brother-in-law's best mate's co-worker's Muslim flatmate told him to stay out of New York on the 11th, or doctors who saved a Muslim's life being giving an "inside tip".

All nonsense of course. The idea that a billion Muslims all knew about the attack and weren't telling the rest of us was rumours and lies spread by racists and morons.

I'm sure there were actually plenty of people on New York rooftops that day with binoculars; going to the tops of high buildings and having a look around is one of the main attractions in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is it just me, or was there very little about this on tv compared to previous years? 20th anniversary coming up soon enough though...

There were quite a few documentaries about 9/11 on the National Geographic channel since the weekend. If you`re referring to coverage of the memorial ceremonies, Sky News and CNN both broadcast Trump`s speech at the site of the United 93 crash in Pennsylvania live. As you stated, there will likely be greater TV and online coverage of the ceremonies when the 20th and 25th anniversaries come around.

seamus wrote: »
    There were loads of stories going around like this. Someone's brother-in-law's best mate's co-worker's Muslim flatmate told him to stay out of New York on the 11th, or doctors who saved a Muslim's life being giving an "inside tip".

All nonsense of course. The idea that a billion Muslims all knew about the attack and weren't telling the rest of us was rumours and lies spread by racists and morons.

I'm sure there were actually plenty of people on New York rooftops that day with binoculars; going to the tops of high buildings and having a look around is one of the main attractions in the city.

I never said a billion.
    • March 2001 – Italian intelligence warns of an al-Qaeda plot in the United States involving a massive strike involving aircraft, based on their wiretap of al-Qaeda cell in Milan.
    • July 2001 – Jordanian intelligence told US officials that al-Qaeda was planning an attack on American soil, and Egyptian intelligence warned the CIA that 20 al-Qaeda Jihadists were in the United States, and that four of them were receiving flight training.
    • August 2001 – The Israeli Mossad gives the CIA a list of 19 terrorists living in the US and says that they appear to be planning to carry out an attack in the near future.
    • August 2001 – The United Kingdom is warned three times of an imminent al-Qaeda attack in the United States, the third specifying multiple airplane hijackings. According to the Sunday Herald, the report is passed on to President Bush a short time later.
    • September 2001 – Egyptian intelligence warns American officials that al-Qaeda is in the advanced stages of executing a significant operation against an American target, probably within the US.

So many people had info, ideally the hijackers should have been detained and deported before it all went down. The intel was there but not acted upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So many people had info, ideally the hijackers should have been detained and deported before it all went down. The intel was there but not acted upon.
    Sure, that's not in dispute. The people who had the information were international intelligence agencies, and Al-Queda cells.

My point is that urban myths went around for years afterwards which implied that loads of, if not most, ordinary muslims all over the world knew when, where and how this was going to happen, but colluded to keep it away from non-Muslim populations.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

seamus wrote: »

I'm sure there were plenty seeking vantage points to see what was happening, but I'm not sure heading for the tops of skyscrapers on that particular day was the most sensible thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I never said a billion.
    • March 2001 – Italian intelligence warns of an al-Qaeda plot in the United States involving a massive strike involving aircraft, based on their wiretap of al-Qaeda cell in Milan.
    • July 2001 – Jordanian intelligence told US officials that al-Qaeda was planning an attack on American soil, and Egyptian intelligence warned the CIA that 20 al-Qaeda Jihadists were in the United States, and that four of them were receiving flight training.
    • August 2001 – The Israeli Mossad gives the CIA a list of 19 terrorists living in the US and says that they appear to be planning to carry out an attack in the near future.
    • August 2001 – The United Kingdom is warned three times of an imminent al-Qaeda attack in the United States, the third specifying multiple airplane hijackings. According to the Sunday Herald, the report is passed on to President Bush a short time later.
    • September 2001 – Egyptian intelligence warns American officials that al-Qaeda is in the advanced stages of executing a significant operation against an American target, probably within the US.

5 pieces of information like that look shocking on their own but the reality is they're probably sandwiched randomly in various places on a list of about 50,000 similar pieces of info they r3cieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yes I imagine there's an analysis paralysis with the volume of counter-terror stuff they get.

You hear all the time with the 2017 attacks in London how the attackers were 'known' to MI6 or NCA or whatever, but the difficulty is one of capacity. You don't hear about all the thwarted attacks.

Advertisement