Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuinneamh Festival 2017, Loughcrew, Oldcastle, County Meath 15th - 17th September

Options
  • 10-09-2017 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm getting a press pass for this event, so hopefully it takes off and doesn't get shut down by the Guards, hopefully also the hurricanes will have passed by then and we might get some nice sunny spells.

20622321_1892068930820816_7601094993739076522_n.jpg?oh=e36ecb15dcf23c09f824998437137559&oe=5A179136

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm getting a press pass for this event, so hopefully it takes off and doesn't get shut down by the Guards

Why would it? Did they not get a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I presume they did as I haven't seen any reports of Gardai activity anyways, I say quite a lot has been set up by now on site, so hopefully it will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hugeglobe

The Gardaí have been enjoying themselves shutting down a number of small independent festivals this year. So hopefully the same doesn't happen here.

Because it's so close to the B&S site I'd imagine the local Gardaí know what to expect and are grand with it. Whereas in previous cases in lesser known/used rural areas a lot of people thought it was down to them not being arsed dealing with one and then finding a way to shut it down before they even started.

Can't wait for it though, was at Lunasa last year and was probably the best festival I went to in 2016 - such a great vibe and it's really well run for a small festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

hugeglobe wrote: »
    The Gardaí have been enjoying themselves shutting down a number of small independent festivals this year. So hopefully the same doesn't happen here.

did the ones that they shut down have the relevant licences and insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hugeglobe

did the ones that they shut down have the relevant licences and insurance?

I'm not sure on specifics I just know the gardai made it intentionally difficult for them to go ahead.

Jamie Behan talks about it here, worth a listen.

https://m.soundcloud.com/fourfourmagazine/four-four-podcast-special-another-independent-festival-cancelled

• Advertisement

Which Gigs didnt go ahead this year because of it?

I know of four, Keep Lit, a Galway one that was organised for New Years Eve in Gort, Bare in the Woods in Portalington in June there was a thread in gigs and events about Bare in the Woods here. Scrobarnach festival in Cork in August, Fuaim Gathering in August in Tipperary. I don't know the other event though that was shut down.

On my way to my fifth festival this year, cameras charged and everything packed. Woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

On my way to my fifth festival this year, cameras charged and everything packed. Woo hoo!

It'll be my fifth too and I'm really excited about it, I think its going to be a great one. 14 minutes left in work :)

dmm82 wrote: »
    It'll be my fifth too and I'm really excited about it, I think its going to be a great one. 14 minutes left in work :)

We need to have a boards meet up, maybe the Ceol tent, I'll be walking about with bodhran in black case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

This one slipped in under my radar, I thought it was down south.

I'm forever whinging that there's no daycent techno in my part of the world, and here this is about 30 minutes away.

Bodhrandude, make sure to catch Tinfoil, if you want some nice crunchy techno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some of my friends are going to this, I think it's gonna be great. I wish I was going :(

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

We need to have a boards meet up, maybe the Ceol tent, I'll be walking about with bodhran in black case.

Will keep an eye out for ya :) only on our way now

dmm82 wrote: »
    Will keep an eye out for ya :) only on our way now

Make sure you've something warm, tis getting chilly in this neck of the woods. Clear skies here, no cloud cover.

Anyone on site at the moment?

Hi Sofiztikated I made it to the Tinfoil set, took two video clips, one was at the side on the hill and takes in most of the stage and the other is a bit too close up, but yer right crunchy intense techno it was, a brilliant set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nice review BD. It sounds great! Pity about the weather but having a festival in September is probably always going to be like that. It's on my list for next yer for sure.

Bit shout out to the Loners Club. Few lads like meself that were there on their own. Didn't even get any names, but yer all pure sound.

I had a good time on the Saturday, but the weather really **** all over the early part of the day.

I'd have a bunch of suggestions for them, such as a few bales or more constructed seating in the centre of the main area to take the weight of your feet, more straw readily available for muddy areas, and move some toilets down to reduce the trek across the field from Oghan Alignment. Mostly little niggly things, with a few more serious concerns, but all things that can be worked on for next year.

And just on the Oghan Alignment. That was a well designed stage, setting up in that hollow, with the standing lights acting sound deadening (step into and just back out, and the difference in sound was immediately noticeable), as well as looking all druidic, and the vj lads were sound to talk to.

Again, it's always nice to see this sort of festival up this neck of the woods, and here's hoping that they can go again next year.

Advertisement