Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Express Cable male to male

Options
  • 10-09-2017 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an older 850 watt Semi Modular PSU with two graphics cards current connected to it via the built in PCI express cables.

The PSU has two free 8 pin PCI express slots.

I would like to use these two slots to power two additional cards.

I presume that this is possible?

Male to male PCI express cables seem to be hard to come by however?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Can't you buy from the PSU manufacturer? Example, for Corsair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Cheers,

Mine is a Zalman from a few years back - nothing like that on their site. Presumably buying cables from Corsair would be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Mine is a Zalman from a few years back - nothing like that on their site. Presumably buying cables from Corsair would be fine?

The pin outs/connectors from Corsair are different on the psu side of it so it wont fit.You have to use a Zalman cable for your psu as even if you found a block from different manufacturer that physically fits the voltages could be wrong and do alot of damage.

You could use molex 4 pin to 6/8 pcie cables.I would not do that either unless all for of the cards you want to power are low wattage.4 cards on a 850w psu would be dodgy imo.

Cheers - It looks like I might just have to go and get a new PSU I'd say :cool:

game4it70 wrote: »
    The pin outs/connectors from Corsair are different on the psu side of it so it wont fit.You have to use a Zalman cable for your psu as even if you found a block from different manufacturer that physically fits the voltages could be wrong and do alot of damage.

You could use molex 4 pin to 6/8 pcie cables.I would not do that either unless all for of the cards you want to power are low wattage.4 cards on a 850w psu would be dodgy imo.

I think you might be right on the capacity of the 850 Watt PSU too. An upgrade to a 1000 Watt or 1200 Watt is what i need I think. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Which graphics cards do you want to run in 4-way?

Advertisement