Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial fishing license?

Options
  • 10-09-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi

Apologies if im posting this in wrong forum but im looking for information on obtaining a license for commercial fishing, most likely for razor fishing so i think it a polyvalent license i would need.

I understand i need to register my boat for the application. I dont yet have a boat but thats what im concerned about.

Is there a risk i buy a boat from UK or somewhere in Ireland and apply for a license for it to be rejected?

Are there a limited number of licenses issued? Where can i find the cost of such a license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As far as I know you need to purchase existing tonnage based on what the capacity of your boat is. This should help you get started...

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/seafood/seafisheriesadministration/fishingboatlicencing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

As far as I know you need to purchase existing tonnage based on what the capacity of your boat is. This should help you get started...

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/seafood/seafisheriesadministration/fishingboatlicencing/

Thanks, when you say "existing" tonnage what exactly do you mean?

Is it the case that the government has a set amount of tonnage they can issue licenses for and I can apply based on the capacity per my boat?

Is there a risk I can buy a boat and then its not possible to get a license for the tonnage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Are you just planning on buying a commercial boat and heading off? Wish I sad that sort of disposable!!

Anyway OP - Sea angling ireland .org will probably have more info for you in the forums there! Lots of boat owners and com fishermen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

you have to apply to the department for a licence . even if you don't have a boat you can apply and just give a rough idea of the boat size you intend to buy . You would normally be then given a ''licence offer'' with certain conditions which will include a code of practice [ survey of vessel] . you will also need to buy or [possible] lease tonnage and kilowatts , together known as capacity , from somebody who has them.
    tonnage is the volume of the area enclosed by the boat and kilowatts are roughly 75% of engine power and its reasonably readily available.
    if you only intent to fish razors or other bivalve shellfish [except scallops ] a ''specific'' licence will do but you cant fish for crab, lobster , whelk, or any fish with that licence .
    A polyvalent licence is the same process but the tonnage /kw are far more expensive and harder to get
    Its a fairly straight forward process if you start with the right boat and get through the survey.

Advertisement