Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No idea how to approach salary negotiations

Options
  • 10-09-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

Would love some advice; slightly complicated so apologies in advance if my post is very long!

I am qualified in a very niche area where inhouse jobs are hard to come by. There are plenty of people who train in this area but few positions - so when jobs come up you're really up against it with people desperate for the opportunity - which can drive salaries down. I have been freelancing for the last 2 years waiting for opportunities to come up. Nothing for ages...and lo and behold 2 jobs come up right at the same time.

Job 1: have received an offer. Salary ok...not amazing but fine.

Job 2: interviewed and tested (live simulation of working conditions) on Friday along with 4 other candidates. Was told I had given the best performance and they will be in touch early next week. They know about my other offer. This job is in a different city to Job 1. I would prefer to work in Job 2 city and the sector is also a lot more interesting.

So, my clear preference is Job 2. The problem is: a friend working there already has given me the heads up that the department head is notoriously tight-fisted and to be prepared for a "shockingly low" salary. In a country with a tax rate of 50% I should add! She tried to negotiate when she was hired, but failed.

So, if I get an offer with a very poor salary, how do I proceed? I don't want to string Job 1 along so I don't want to drag things out. I also don't want to burn my bridges. Apparently I was by far the strongest candidate, but that plus the fact that I have another offer seem to be the only bargaining chips I have...

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Fair play on the job offers.
    I would tell them i appreciate being offered the job since it was such a competitive interview process and make it clear that you would love to work for them and help their business to progress BUT that you will find it difficult to meet your financial commitments with the salary offered. State that you have been offered more elsewhere but that you would prefer to work for them. Then ask if they can consider offering a little more and that you are not necessarily looking for them to match the other offer i.e. show them you are being reasonable. If they refuse to budge from a tight-fisted offer it's not a good sign for me and I'd reconsider working for a place where good staff are not appreciated. You were offered the job because they thought you are the best candidate, so it's their loss too if you don't go with them - if they can't see that it mightn't be the best place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sugarcube

Many thanks to both of you for your well-considered advice! I have a clearer view of how to go about things now. Very much appreciated :)

Advertisement