Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to Live in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-09-2017 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I will be moving to Dublin from Canada to work in October and looking for suggestions on where to rent. My budget is maximum 800 euros per month. Shared accommodations is preferred to stay on budget. My company is located near the St. Stephen's Green area. While I will be working in the city centre, I prefer to live further away from the hustle and bustle. I've lived in suburban areas for most of my life so tend to commute about 30-45 minutes by train to work regularly. I prefer to stay in areas with easy access to the Luas, grocery stores, banks etc. Any suggestions for good areas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

crimon222 wrote: »
    I will be moving to Dublin from Canada to work in October and looking for suggestions on where to rent. My budget is maximum 800 euros per month. Shared accommodations is preferred to stay on budget. My company is located near the St. Stephen's Green area. While I will be working in the city centre, I prefer to live further away from the hustle and bustle. I've lived in suburban areas for most of my life so tend to commute about 30-45 minutes by train to work regularly. I prefer to stay in areas with easy access to the Luas, grocery stores, banks etc. Any suggestions for good areas would be greatly appreciated!

Could be tricky on that budget and with the crappy public transport links, have you looked at daft.ie and myhome.ie? I loved living in the south side where I could walk to work, tho its more party party than the north side in my experience. But north side maybe easier with the new road works and developments. Good luck with your hunt.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rathmines, if your budget stretches that far... you wouldn't be afford your own place there I think but shared accomodation maybe.

You could walk to work from there and save on public transport fares.

And it is a mini Village with everything you would need on doorstep in terms of shops and services.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

if you're working in Stephens green, the south side would be better for public transport. Pretty much anywhere along the green Luas line and within the m50 is decent. Also consider rathmines, donnybrook, ballsbridge - they aren't on the Luas line but are within walking distance of the city centre.

You also can commute on the DART (train) - Stephens green is a 5-10 minute walk from pearse station. That opens up parts of the north side to you too. Rents are generally a bit lower on the north side. I don't know the areas on the dart line too well, but Clontarf is lovely, is beside the sea, and close enough to town that you can walk also.

Personally, I love Ranelagh. 15 min walk to Stephens green, but there's also the Luas if it's raining. Plenty of nice quiet streets, but the village itself is full of great restaurants, bars and pubs. There's a Lidl and a small Tesco, and also an Aldi and a big Tesco just next door in rathmines. Lots of lovely parks too. It's also a lot nicer than rathmines, which can be pretty grubby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I wouldn't rule out the north side as it's generally cheaper then the south side.

The green Luas line will extend into cabra from the end of November so I'd consider along that route and Royal canal park. There's a suburban feel but plenty of amenities in walking distance. You've to be a little careful with location in cabra but these days most of it is fine.

Stephens green is a 10-15 minute walk from Pearse (shorter by Dublin bike) so anywhere along the DART or Maynooth train line is very doable. If it's a suburban feel you're looking for then Dublin 15 (maynooth train line from Ashtown onwards) is right up your street and within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 crimon222

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll take a look at some of the suggested neighborhoods.
    I have looked on daft and the options are quite limited for my budget and preferences. There seems to be more in the North, but I heard its slightly more dodgy. I'd enjoy more quiet neighborhoods away from the pubs and nightlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Raheny on the northside maybe ... check the walking distance to Dart station though as it is quite spread out.

Beaumont also on northside... 14 or 16 bus will get you striking distance of Stephens Green... though with buses you will be stuck in traffic at bottlenecks... despite the bus lanes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

crimon222 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll take a look at some of the suggested neighborhoods.
    I have looked on daft and the options are quite limited for my budget and preferences. There seems to be more in the North, but I heard its slightly more dodgy. I'd enjoy more quiet neighborhoods away from the pubs and nightlife.

Like many cities, there are good and bad places in both sides of the city, Im biased as a northsider, but most of the area's there for rent are ok and within good transport links, while I loved living northside, I found there to be much more anti social behavior southside there, in my experience in D6. Best I found is not to be put off by what ppl say about an area and go with your gut.

A well known state employed criminologist, has called the northside "an undiscovered jewel".

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Consider the Northside definitely. I'm in the Killester area for example and it's less than a 10 minute journey to the city centre on the DART. Also have very regular bus services.
    Never had a spot of bother.

You can pretty much pick anywhere on the Northside DART line - mostly middle class now and in fact at the Howth / Malahide ends you're in some quite fancy areas.

The idea that persists that the Northside is bad or rough is a load of cobblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Most places mentioned above are great, however the rent will be huge. Rents are flying up just about everywhere in the capital, hopefully you have the fortune to find a place without much financial strain.

I'm in Crumlin, despite its reputation it's really not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm in Kilmainham, and I love it. Inchicore has some nice spots as well. Whilst probably not cheap, and rent seems to have gone up a bit since I moved here 18 months ago, there is some OK value around the place. Might be worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

would you recommend any websites to search for shared accomodation?

Besides gumtree! Is there any good facebook pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Daft.ie

Advertisement