Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Waiting Periods

• 10-09-2017 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I signed up last week to a corporate plan my company pays for (PMI 25 11). I am under 50 so the plan states waiting periods are: Pre-existing conditions: 5 years; Out-Patient expenses: none.

I'm interested in getting my varicose veins done. This would cost 3000 Euro on an outpatient basis in a private hospital. I would only get this done if it was covered by VHI.

My varicose veins are certainly a pre-existing condition but because it's an out-patient procedure does this mean there is no waiting period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jammydodger329

bump

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That would be a day-case procedure rather than outpatient and the 5-year waiting period would apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jammydodger329

Quackster wrote: »
    That would be a day-case procedure rather than outpatient and the 5-year waiting period would apply.

Great :(

So how long should I wait before this becomes a "new condition"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Great :(

So how long should I wait before this becomes a "new condition"?

5 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

If you're paying the higher rate of tax, why not cancel your health insurance to save on BIK and spend the money you save on cheaper treatment abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tenigate wrote: »
    If you're paying the higher rate of tax, why not cancel your health insurance to save on BIK ...

Being taxed on a benefit means that you pay a max. of 40% of the cost borne by your employer through extra taxation but it still means that you are getting the service at a 60% discount.
    Tenigate wrote: »
    ... and spend the money you save on cheaper treatment abroad?

You can't be serious. If anything goes wrong your travel insurance will not cover you because medical tourism is listed in the exclusions on virtually every travel policy.

How much treatment do you think you could buy in a foreign country from 40% of the premium on a medical insurance policy, especially when you factor in travel costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Op's policy costs eur1500. Isn't bic calculated at 52%? Well, either way it's €600 or 750 of a saving which is the cost of treatment in Poland. EHIC card covers emergency treatment. Hey, it's an option and worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Make sure you claim 20% relief on the BIK element

Advertisement