Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Junior Cycle

Options
  • 10-09-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Now that the new Junior Cycle is up and running in quite a number of subjects, just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding this latest educational initiative. Do you see it as progress or a regressive step?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I know of 2 schools who have outsourced short courses, one to a financial Institute and another to a private Chinese language school. That's teaching hrs gone and the private sector delivering public education. We will replace the catholic church with big business as the patron of our schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I remain extremely sceptical but willing to give it a chance. So far I am thoroughly unimpressed with the content of the Science specification, the cut in recommended allocation for Science (270 hours to 200), the loss of marks for coursework in Science (35% to 10%) and the horrendously poor quality of the Science inservice training.

My second subject Maths won't start until next year. The prospect of losing Foundation Level seems unthinkable so I'm extremely worried about the impact that will have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The cuts and ambiguity in the subjects are one thing.

But then on the other hand being told that wellbeing/mindfulness will be replacing it... great intentions and sounds good on radio shows, but frankly, it's a mess.

For me it all goes back to project maths. OK it has its faults, but there was a serious amount of in-services and curriculum design involved.
    Now it's a case of an impotent NCCA telling teachers to go and 'unpack' it themselves.

It sounds as if 1st to 4th year is just one big TY experiment... which as we all know will be pronounced a great success... with a few teething issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Now it's a case of an impotent NCCA telling teachers to go and 'unpack' it themselves.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I fly into an uncontrollable Michael Douglas Falling Down style rage every time I hear that we have to unpack the new syllabus. I suspect more time was spent coming up with this buzzword than syllabus content for science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

We've gone through some of it with the English last year, still don't know the best way to teach it & not expecting any great insights from the CPD. The texts list increased dramatically but not reflected in the shortened exam. By the way a PME in my school corrected in June...all scripts were sent to the UK to be scanned, corrected electronically (not entire papers) you might just get Part A...so much faster...ie what we thought all along - the entire debacle is a money saving exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I fly into an uncontrollable Michael Douglas Falling Down style rage every time I hear that we have to unpack the new syllabus. I suspect more time was spent coming up with this buzzword than syllabus content for science.

:D I thought it could just be me when I seen that phrase today....I thought unpacking is something you do with your luggage or a delivery from an post... not a syllabus.

Then I thought why would you stuff learning intentions/outcomes etc into a space they need to be unpacked from in the first place? Why not let them breathe? Then I thought maybe there just isn't enough space with all the expanded descriptions of mindfulness and wellbeing and the interconnectedness of everything in the shiny new JC universe.

Then I thought...humans eh? always coming up with ways to justify their role in life especially the ones that feel there may not be much justification if any for what they do and are hoping the rest won't notice if they bamboozle them with obfuscation, fear, busy work/paperwork etc etc so they have less time to be engaging in distasteful things like independent thinking which leads to unwanted behaviours like asking pesky questions and raising legitimate concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mayberry

Although I hate the phrase "unpack" it. I believe that most existing teachers will by more than capable of doing this. It will be much harder for "new teachers" to take this on. The problem is they are trying to change they way we are taught, without changing how they will be examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A colleague of mine told me that when correcting the English paper he was consistently told to award higher marks, often in cases where he could see no possible justification for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Science is an absolute joke
    I'm glad my oldest lad got to do the old JC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Noveight wrote: »
    A colleague of mine told me that when correcting the English paper he was consistently told to award higher marks, often in cases where he could see no possible justification for doing so.

Is he/she an experienced examiner/teacher? The advising examiner is only doing what they have been told. Also as this is the first year of English, it has to look successful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Is he/she an experienced examiner/teacher? The advising examiner is only doing what they have been told. Also as this is the first year of English, it has to look successful.

Yep, many years of experience under his belt. I thought the same thing, better results = better system = money well spent :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The unpack drives me bloody mental. If we we'll have to unpack it why the HELL cant they just do it in the first place??!! It's literally making up hundreds of thousands of hours of duplicate work.

Instead teachers up and down the country are going to under pressure to make sure 'they get it right' when they unpack. Woe betide you if you get it wrong. Wait until there are phone call coming in from parents 'why haven't you taught x' and you are like 'I don't know if it's actually on the syllabus, my interpretation is it isnt'. You can just hear the tone now 'your INTERPRETATION??'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yep, many years of experience under his belt. I thought the same thing, better results = better system = money well spent :rolleyes:

Same shite as project maths then. New JC will be declared a success on Wednesday.

Same shite as project maths then. New JC will be declared a success on Wednesday.

I listen to a good bit of discussion radio/tv... Pundits, radio jocks, politicians, former political education advisors, IBEC, parents, education journalists, former principals/teachers, authors... will always appear on panels to discuss the Irish education system. They should really have a few teachers who are actually teaching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Icsics wrote: »
    We've gone through some of it with the English last year, still don't know the best way to teach it & not expecting any great insights from the CPD. The texts list increased dramatically but not reflected in the shortened exam. By the way a PME in my school corrected in June...all scripts were sent to the UK to be scanned, corrected electronically (not entire papers) you might just get Part A...so much faster...ie what we thought all along - the entire debacle is a money saving exercise.

The company providing the marking software and platform are British, but the scripts are sent to and scanned by a different company, an Irish one based in Ballinasloe. All of this was thoroughly explained at a marking conference in May.

You do correct all sections of a paper but not all of one candidate's script consecutively. So towards the end I had a quota of 50 papers a day. I would correct 50x Section A Q2&3, then 50x Section A Q4,5&6, etc.

I have no idea how much money they're saving but I'd imagine that British company do not come cheap. Although I must say I loved online marking as a corrector. From day 1 of the conference to posting off my bits and bobs was 15 days. Huge difference from when I marked English paper scripts. Having said that, from students' perspective I definitely noticed some issues that I hope won't see anyone cheated of a rightful and deserved descriptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I corrected higher level junior cert this year and my experience was the same as your colleague. I wasalways sceptical of the new course but after seeing how it is marked.... we are apparently aiming for mediocrity now

OMG you'll never guess what...
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/new-junior-cert-english-results-show-more-pupils-with-good-grades-36127190.html

Also.... as predicted. IBEC speaks out on behalf of teachers.
    ...the new curriculum gave teachers space to be innovative and provide a more rounded education experience - and should also equip students with skills and appetite for continuous learning.

TUI said they'll be keeping an eye out 'to see if any adjustments need to be made in the future'.
    ASTI said... we'll ...they weren't provided with an opportunity to comment this time.

I corrected higher level junior cert this year and my experience was the same as your colleague. I wasalways sceptical of the new course but after seeing how it is marked.... we are apparently aiming for mediocrity now

Looks like you're right with grades being pushed to the middle.

Looks like you're right with grades being pushed to the middle.

Have you ever really really wished you weren't right? It was inevitable though given the way the paper was marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

We had no Distinctions in our school, a few Higher Merits, most got Merits. So it looks like middle ground for all from now on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Icsics wrote: »
    We had no Distinctions in our school, a few Higher Merits, most got Merits. So it looks like middle ground for all from now on!

Exact same. I've yet to even hear of anyone getting a Distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deise17

Same in my school. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

No distinctions in my place. And none in my wife's school either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Apparently there's a new course in Irish that I'm.meant to be teaching.

Nobody knows what it is. Nobody knows what's different. Been no in service. Principal doesn't know what's new.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

One distinction in my school. Some excellent students devastated. Can't understand where they went wrong. I really couldn't say either. Many borderline higher level students got merits same as good students. Only one partially achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Similar story here. What's the appeal process with the new JC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

One distinction in my school. Some excellent students devastated. Can't understand where they went wrong. I really couldn't say either. Many borderline higher level students got merits same as good students. Only one partially achieved.

1.8% got a distinction at higher level. Down from over 8 % who got an A last year. Very few students get over 90 in English.

The government want everyone doing HL. It is all very transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

chases0102 wrote: »
    Similar story here. What's the appeal process with the new JC?

Must be same not sure i would bother.
    Other subjects grades down suggesting reform/new junior cycle was badly needed.

Must be same not sure i would bother.
    Other subjects grades down suggesting reform/new junior cycle was badly needed.

It's all frighteningly transparent isn't it? And then these poor students will fail the leaving cert/perform poorly in it thus reinforcing the already started rumblings of a "need" for change.

Remember English, Irish and Maths were originally meant to be common level. Going by today's results the argument for common level will raise it's head again and we'll have a common level Junior Certificate before long.

Watering down of standards, diminishing any possible love a student could have for a subject and adding to a teacher's workload with pointless busy work such as CBA's and"unpacking" the curriculum.

Why do we even bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Jesus reading all of this I would dearly love to walk away from it all right now. It's monumentally depressing:mad::mad:

Why do we even bother indeed!

Advertisement