Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan announces retirement

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

And replace it with what ?

Democratically elected community watchmen who will execute with extreme prejudice every two-bit knacker that strolls into the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Conspectus wrote: »
    Michael O Leary for next Garda commissioner.

"An RyanSiochana - the low cost police force".

It's free to ring the police but there are added extras if you want them to do something.

€20 to respond to an incident.
    €25 to take a statement.
    €100 penalty if you didnt order the cop online and print out your complaint.

Imagine she was so deluded to think she had a shot at getting a top job in Interpol with her track record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Good riddance but it will mean nothing unless there's an overhaul of the organisation and a leader brought in from outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Ridiculous.

Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

And replace it with what ?

Democratically elected community watchmen who will execute with extreme prejudice every two-bit knacker that strolls into the area.

You know what ? I do believe you're serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder if she is on duty in the Park until midnight tonight lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Can I have her uniform?

"An RyanSiochana - the low cost police force".

It's free to ring the police but there are added extras if you want them to do something.

€20 to respond to an incident.
    €25 to take a statement.
    €100 penalty if you didnt order the cop online and print out your complaint.

Also your local station will probably be in a provincial town in Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

She will probably be replaced by another clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

She was in line for a lump sum of €300K if she was still in the job in November.
    If it was just about the money I reckon she'd have hung on and brazened it out.
    So the question is - did she jump, or was she pushed?

I'd say a deal was done and she is getting that money.

I'd say that deal was probably on the table seven or eight months ago but she seems to have stuck around for the europol job. Probably the first unloaded interview she ever sat with no pull to help her out. Predictably they said no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Minister Zappone would be a fine replacement Commissioner.
    She's from abroad, Female, widely respected, well educated, outspoken, popular with all political parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Uriel. wrote: »
    No.
    Why would it?

Because this is the second commissioner to "retire" under the watch of FG.

DanMurphy wrote: »
    She's from abroad, Female, widely respected, well educated, outspoken, popular with all political parties.

There's got to be old East German Stasi or Romanian Securitate officers knocking about who could do it on the cheap or maybe the Canadian ambassador here, Vickers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Rabbo wrote: »
    The next Comissioner needs to come from outside the Gardaí. Anything else is a waste of time.

Will the cosy middle management of the gardai want an outsider knowing their dirty secrets or telling them what to do.

• Advertisement

Her husband is a good bet for Commish.

Or the present incumbent Asst commish/Deputies. :eek:

They are all knifing each other as we speak.

I hope Minister for Justice has a brain here though. And doesn't perpetuate the myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pedro K wrote: »
    Walking before she's pushed, I'd imagine. Probably with a nice big golden handshake, to boot.

Sunday times said she's in line for over 300k

Government talked to her and told her they'll use legislation to remove her or she can retire with full honours - I imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

She was in line for a lump sum of €300K if she was still in the job in November.
    If it was just about the money I reckon she'd have hung on and brazened it out.
    So the question is - did she jump, or was she pushed?

She will have annual leave and carryover annual leave from last year. Probably in the region of 50-60 days.

She might be 'retiring' today from her duties. But she will still remain as commissioner from an adminstrative perspective. That will get her well over the line into November.

Joys of the public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

We're crying out for a rapid response unit consisting of wheelchair bound African Jewish lesbians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Wtf does being female have to do with it? More liberal bull.

'Widely respected'? That tells me all I need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

that was a nice holiday before retiring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Oh FFS

Because this is the second commissioner to "retire" under the watch of FG.

So?
    You've a lot to learn about politics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Padraig Nally would make a good Garda commissioner.

Dr Brown wrote: »

While I only know a small bit about the man, I highly doubt it, what a silly thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dr Brown wrote: »

No he really wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Doesn't really matter who's at the helm when the rest of the organisation is rotten to the core. That includes the ordinary police men and women in the Garda stations around the country. We the public have been massively let down by the people who are supposed to protect us.

So?
    You've a lot to learn about politics

oh yeah? you think a completely dysfunctional police force and this news doesn't have the potential to bring down a fragile government? Seems you are the one with plenty to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

We should abolish An Garda Siochana altogether.

It's well passed it's sell-by date.....not fit for purpose.

Replace them with ED-209 from Robocop

Assisted by the Pre-Cogs from Minority Report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I think it's a job for a man personally

oh yeah? you think a completely dysfunctional police force and this news doesn't have the potential to bring down a fragile government? Seems you are the one with plenty to learn

Really you think FG and FF a month out from a budget and SF breathing down their necks in the polls are going to pull the plug because the commissioner retired?

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I think it's a job for a man personally

I don't see where gender comes into at all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its good to see her go because a few of these scandals took place under her watch but whoever replaces her is going to have a hell of a hard time trying to change the culture at the centre of the whole organisation. We really need expert help from established and efficient police forces outside of Ireland. I suspect the deep culture of cute hoor and sweeping any issues under the rug is going to be extremely hard to eliminate, bar some massive clean outs of senior management.

Doesn't really matter who's at the helm when the rest of the organisation is rotten to the core. That includes the ordinary police men and women in the Garda stations around the country. We the public have been massively let down by the people who are supposed to protect us.

"We the public" ? Is that you Mary-Lou?

I've a couple of cousins in the Gardai , they look pretty shifty too , in fact one of them wears cords and puts milk in the cup before he makes the tae.

Really you think FG and FF a month out from a budget and SF breathing down their necks in the polls are going to pull the plug because the commissioner retired?

LOL, and you think the commissioner just happened to retire?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Just give the job to McCabe. Although, there's probably not enough paper in the country to deal with all the resignation letters if he did get it. That would be too much cleaning up. The whole thing is a absolute f**king disgraceful shady racket. We can be guaranteed this - the next one up will have a neck the same size width as its own arse

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

She didnt get the plum job, but is allowed to retire. Couldnt the thread title actually reflect that she is retiring- rather than resigning. Wouldn't want boards getting into trouble!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

She gets a massive pension just like many other failed public servants and politicians e.g. John Tierney, Bertie, Cowen etc

• Advertisement

AGS has not been functioning properly for years.

That is down to bad management in the few stations that are open.

Take Dublin City for example. Never see a Garda ever. That is outrageous. I blame the Superintendent in the Station. Get OUT THERE AND PROTECT US.

But no. Nothing. Always after the event.

Need to be proactive, not reactive. Being reactive means that people die, get assaulted and so on until they get to the scene having seen the action on their CCTV.

And as for the corruption in Templemore and so many other things including Donegal, Maurice mcCabe and etc.

Needs a bloody good clean out now. Really they are institutionalised and just chew their biros and eat donuts in the station.

Sorry, but until they become a reactive police force they deserve every judgment going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I don't see where gender comes into at all tbh.

The AG was a woman too, and Francis Fitz, Minister for Justice, yep, they're to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I asked in the other thread. Will she still be giving evidence at the McCabe inquiry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

emo72 wrote: »
    I asked in the other thread. Will she still be giving evidence at the McCabe inquiry?

As a private citizen she's under no obligation to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

emo72 wrote: »

I presume she could still be compelled to give evidence.

• Advertisement

LOL, and you think the commissioner just happened to retire?

No I don't, but that's irrelevant unless news breaks that leo varadkar or some other member of government paid her visit and told her to get out.

So, I'll indulge you for a moment more, when do you think Leo will be making the trip to the Áras?

She gets a massive pension just like many other failed public servants and politicians e.g. John Tierney, Bertie, Cowen etc

Bertie wasn't a failure though, at least not in political terms

snowflaker wrote: »

The most troublesome thing about that is the use of the word "guard"

Bertie wasn't a failure though, at least not in political terms

Really??? He had to resign from Tribunal fallout. The country was almost insolvent!

The most troublesome thing about that is the use of the word "guard"

Yes, its Garda!

• Advertisement
Advertisement