If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for dead Boston XS 5.1 subwoofer

Options
  • 10-09-2017 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hiya,

Looks like my subwoofer that was part of my Boston XS 5.1 speaker package has died so am looking for a decent replacement. I see a few in the open box however not sure which would suit the set up, have you or anybody else got a suggestion? The Arcam seems like a good deal, any thoughts? I watch alot of movies in DTS 5.1 and lost without the low end bass since the sub has died.

If Arcam suits, will you hold it for me plus is post included in cost to Dublin?

107:
    SUBWOOFER
    Arcam Solo Subwoofer
    Ex-display – excellent condition
    See link ( please note Subwoofer only!)
    http://www.arcam.co.uk/range/solo/solobar.htm
    Was £499
    Now £99 / €119

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hiya,

Looks like my subwoofer that was part of my Boston XS 5.1 speaker package has died so am looking for a decent replacement. I see a few in the open box however not sure which would suit the set up, have you or anybody else got a suggestion? The Arcam seems like a good deal, any thoughts? I watch alot of movies in DTS 5.1 and lost without the low end bass since the sub has died.

If Arcam suits, will you hold it for me plus is post included in cost to Dublin?

107:
    SUBWOOFER
    Arcam Solo Subwoofer
    Ex-display – excellent condition
    See link ( please note Subwoofer only!)
    http://www.arcam.co.uk/range/solo/solobar.htm
    Was £499
    Now £99 / €119

Thanks,

John
    Hi again DJB,

thanks for the post - per the other thread the Arcam Solo subs are completely cleared out, sorry about that!

You could look at the Mass Sub ( Open-Box) at £139 - but before you do that do check that the fuse isn't blown - from memory there is a fuse directly under the mains socket at the rear of the sub ( its a bit hard to open in a tiny little fuse holder) .

Check that out and hopefully you wont have to give us any spends :(

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭djbproductions

Thanks for update, there is power from mains with green led lighting up but then goes into sleep mode after a while. I think it is related to input from amp and speaker not processing signal.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks for update, there is power from mains with green led lighting up but then goes into sleep mode after a while.  I think it is related to input from amp and speaker not processing signal.
    Ah okay - you can do a simple test by popping a phono cable into the input on your Subwoofer and shorting the +/- on the loose end of the phono cable - if the sub hums / burps then the sub is almost certainly fine and the issue lies elsewhere... 

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for update, there is power from mains with green led lighting up but then goes into sleep mode after a while.  I think it is related to input from amp and speaker not processing signal.
    Ah okay - you can do a simple test by popping a phono cable into the input on your Subwoofer and shorting the +/- on the loose end of the phono cable - if the sub hums / burps then the sub is almost certainly fine and the issue lies elsewhere... 

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hiya John Mc,

Thanks for the great ideas and I have tried following:

1. Checked fuse as I managed to totally miss the fact that there is small fuse right under the 240v input in cabinet of the sub woofer and only found this after you mentioned a fuse which I didnt see when I opened up the sub. In the past alot of audio equipment had these inside on the pcb so I assumed this unit had the same. Result - fuse is working perfect as when I remove it, the green led no longer lights up, so sub receiving 240V power.

2. With the phono cable inserted in the sub, I shorted other end and no pop/burp/hum or other sound so really looks like dead amp or possibly relay however doesnt look serviceable, just my luck. Result - failed.

I dont no whether to invest in a new sub or go back to what I love more and buy a set of floor standing speakers. You guys have a lovely pair of Q2050i's however even with the open box / graded sets it is more than my budget (or wife!) will allow. I will sleep on it, or more than likely dream about owning new equipment and see what Tuesday brings.

Thanks again for your help and excellent customer service.

John

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hiya John Mc,

Thanks for the great ideas and I have tried following:

1. Checked fuse as I managed to totally miss the fact that there is small fuse right under the 240v input in cabinet of the sub woofer and only found this after you mentioned a fuse which I didnt see when I opened up the sub. In the past alot of audio equipment had these inside on the pcb so I assumed this unit had the same. Result - fuse is working perfect as when I remove it, the green led no longer lights up, so sub receiving 240V power.

2. With the phono cable inserted in the sub, I shorted other end and no pop/burp/hum or other sound so really looks like dead amp or possibly relay however doesnt look serviceable, just my luck. Result - failed.

I dont no whether to invest in a new sub or go back to what I love more and buy a set of floor standing speakers. You guys have a lovely pair of Q2050i's however even with the open box / graded sets it is more than my budget (or wife!) will allow. I will sleep on it, or more than likely dream about owning new equipment and see what Tuesday brings.

Thanks again for your help and excellent customer service.

John
    No problem, keep us posted! The 2050s are fantastic speakers.

• Advertisement

Hiya,

What's best price you could do on the 2050i's from open box sale, my budget is nearer EUR200? Plus what are the "small marks" as advertised? Is it worth a quick fone call to buy today?

59:
    SPEAKERS FLOORSTANDERS
    Q Acoustics 2050i – Graphite
    Mail order return – small marks
    https://www.whathifi.c...oustics/2050i/review
    Were £299
    Now £199 / €229

thanks,

John

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hiya,

What's best price you could do on the 2050i's from open box sale, my budget is nearer EUR200? Plus what are the "small marks" as advertised? Is it worth a quick fone call to buy today?

59:
    SPEAKERS FLOORSTANDERS
    Were £299
    Now £199 / €229

thanks,

John
    Hi John,

I've just checked and these are already gone. I do have a brand new set for £299 or are there any other speakers that take your fancy?

Kind regards

David

Hiya,

59:
    SPEAKERS FLOORSTANDERS
    Were £299
    Now £199 / €229

thanks,

John
    Hi John,

I've just checked and these are already gone. I do have a brand new set for £299 or are there any other speakers that take your fancy?

Kind regards

David
    Hiya David, 

I will give it a miss for now as i cant keep up with what is available anymore, any chance you or somebody else could mark sold items on first page. Need to stick closer to my budget of EUR200.

Thanks,

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Hi djbproductions,

I'm going to close this thread as it sems to have come to a (hopefully temporary) conclusion - it also runs the danger of causing confusion as it includes queries for the OpenBox Sale thread,  cross-posting is discouraged for thuis reason - I completely understand how this has arisen due to the nature of your query, so there's no problem as such, just more appropriate to close the thread.

Plese feel free to open a new thread anytime to ask RS about availabilty/a deal/whatever.

Cheers,

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.