Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurricane Irma - What would you do?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Academic wrote: »
    No he wasn't. He was in the eye. The lower half of the storm (admittedly always the lesser of the two so far as wind, rain, etc.) had yet to hit him.

Think of a hurricane as a circle moving north. He was in the middle, not yet having been hit by the bottom half.

I posted that in the early hours of the morning. You replied back after 12pm today.

You don't know what you're bloody talking about. CNN had loads of reporters in places waiting to be hit, places it past, Didn't hit etc.

So tell me..
    What did the reporter look like?
    What city was the reporter?
    You didn't even see broadcast and you're arguing with me :pac:

This takes the biscuit man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Joking aside at least here houses are built of things like brick and blocks. In the States wood shacks and mobile homes are where a large chunk of the population live.

I was in Florida last week and was watching a demo on the difference between houses made of brick and wood and to be honest, there isn't much in it. If a projectile hits a wall in Cat 3+ winds, doesn't matter if its made of brick, wood or unicorn tears... its going trough it like bog roll.

The science is that as wood has more flex it has more give in strong sustained winds, much like tall buildings have a natural sway or an airplane wing flexes up when flying.

Fact of the matter is if a hurricane ever hit Dublin, the damage would be devastating. Just think of the damage done by Charlie in '86, and that was a weakening tropical storm when it hit, who's strongest gust was recorded at 65mph, well short of hurricane force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

My parents flew out to Haines city last week. I thought they were absolutely nuts to go over there. They're doing ok, which could be a lie because they dont want us to worry.

My dad's 75 and he can't swim!

Advertisement