Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone given up voting altogether?

• 10-09-2017 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I assume most people here vote, but has anyone ever strongly considered giving up on the whole thing?

I've never missed an election or referendum, but the last few times I've been voting tactically against politicians rather than for them and I realise now that there's not a man or woman in Irish politics I believe in.

I suppose I'm like one if the people who voted for Trump or Brexit just as an f u to the people they don't like. I don't think I'll go that far, but I think if there's one soon I'll just stay at home.

Do you vote? 92 votes

Yes, always have and always will.
    0%
    Most of the time.
    72%
    VictorGer Roesuper_furryrameirebren2002Capt'n MidnightZaphFlexSparkoInnervisiondavetheravefly_agaricmusiknonstopKurtosisThe Hill BillyCollie DAlanstrainorytpe2r5bxkn0c1Sierra Oscarsugarman 67 votes
    Used to but gave it up.
    9%
    murphym7kingtutweldoninhioDr. Kenneth Noisewaterc_manyerwanthere123MuahahahasteveshortTea Shock 9 votes
    Never have and never will.
    17%
    [Deleted User]Robxxx7glynfPrincess Consuela BananahammockPac1ManFanny WankThe Bishop Basherevosteoarcher22PwindeddCiencianoTuco88OldMrBrennan83MissMayoAbu94OnDraught 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Most of the time.
    No way. I love it. I love the chance to do it and take part in it. I love the fact it's probably one of the only times the whole nation can feel collectively that we have some semblance of power, authority and dictation. We may not always use it too well, but it's fascinating to see it in action. I love the results, I love the whole action and drama of it, even if I know it's probably more than likely going to let me down, but maybe it won't. What's the alternative? The alternative's have been proven to be too dangerous. We could do it better as a collective community, especially my generation (30's - 50's) and those younger voters, but we don't. That's the real problem IMO.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I'm 28 and haven't once voted - and I mean not a single time, despite being eligible for a decade.

I have absolutely zero interest in politics, zero knowledge of politics and as a result I make the conscious decision to not vote because, for me, there's no point in voting if you've no idea what or who you're voting for, though that hasn't stopped my patronising friends.

"It's your civic duty to vote.
    "Is it yeah? Shut up. Who are you voting for?
    "Fine Gael all day."
    "Why?"
    "Because, um, my family has been voting that way for decades so it makes sense."
    "It doesn't really. Why vote if you don't have an independent opinion of your own?

At this point you get a face full of business cards and when you regain your sight they're gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

To be completely honest. If you're eligible to vote, and you choose not to do so, then you pretty much lose the right to moan if you don't like the result or winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Most of the time.
    Hammer89 wrote: »
    I'm 28 and haven't once voted - and I mean not a single time, despite being eligible for a decade.

I have absolutely zero interest in politics, zero knowledge of politics.
    Politicians love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm tempted to give up. There isn't one party in my constituency I could identify with, so will see what happens come election time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have absolutely zero interest in politics, zero knowledge of politics and as a result I make the conscious decision to not vote because, for me, there's no point in voting if you've no idea what or who you're voting for, though that hasn't stopped my patronising friends.

"Fine Gael all day."
    "Why?"
    "Because, um, my family has been voting that way for decades so it makes sense."
    "It doesn't really. Why vote if you don't have an independent opinion of your own?

At this point you get a face full of business cards and when you regain your sight they're gone.

And yet politics affects every area of your life from buying/ renting a house to the amount of motor tax you pay or whether you can marry or kill an unborn child!

And yet politics affects every area of your life from buying/ renting a house to the amount of motor tax you pay or whether you can marry or kill an unborn child!

I've no plans to marry an unborn child so that's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

"Fine Gael all day."
    "Why?"

Would you not be a revolutionary and do something outrageous like informing yourself as to who and what you would be voting for .

Or maybe you're just lazy and expect others to take on that responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Most of the time.
    I've never failed to vote since about the 60s. If you don't vote you have no authority to complain about the governments we get.

Allinall wrote: »
    Would you not be a revolutionary and do something outrageous like informing yourself as to who and what you would be voting for .

Or maybe you're just lazy and expect others to take on that responsibility.

Would you not do something outrageous like accept and respect a difference of opinion without insulting that person and claiming him as "lazy"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ive always voted. However, come the next election I think i'll just spoil the vote. When I look at the current batch of FG/ FF/SF and indos in my constituency, I just wonder, 'what is the fcuking point?'

Would you not do something outrageous like accept and respect a difference of opinion without insulting that person and claiming him as "lazy"?

It's my opinion that anyone wo deliberately doesn't vote is, in fact lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I've known a few people who refuse to vote on some moral ground or to make a statement.

I don't like many politicians either but unless I'm going to run myself then I feel its better to just vote for the people who best match what I want.

Abstaining seems like a strange way to protest. I actually figure many who do it only do it because they lack the inclination to do research and see who best matches their interests. Its the easier option without admitting you just don't have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Do a Poll and we will vote on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've never failed to vote since about the 60s. If you don't vote you have no authority to complain about the governments we get.
    So do people who vote for the winners also lose the right to complain about the governments we get? Ought they to, in fact, bear some responsibility and guilt for the actions of the elected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Or not

sugarman wrote: »
    What a pathetic attitude to have, people have died for the right to vote! You're telling me you can't take a couple of minutes reading a parties/candidates policies pros and cons and take 10mins to lash it down on a slip and throw it in a box?

Just because youre not into politics doesn't mean it won't severally affect your day to day life.

The very people you see moaning about the government doing this, that and the other on social media etc.. are shockingly the people with a similar view on voting ...the "ah sure der all same!" crowd ...no, they're not, especially your local representatives.

I don't moan about the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

However depressing the choices are I still show up. Its a bit of a social occasion as well in rural Ireland

It's my opinion that anyone who judges a person's character based on whether or not they vote is an idiot, but there you go. I'm lazy and you're utter clown shoes.

What a pathetic attitude to have, people have died for the right to vote!
    People have died trying to wipe out other races, and people have died taking heroin - what's your point?

• Advertisement

It's my opinion that anyone who judges a person's character based on whether or not they vote is an idiot, but there you go. I'm lazy and you're utter clown shoes.

Maybe address the point- like I did?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

See that's the thing. I stopped following politics about a year ago and don't even think about it let alone moan. Much happier as a result.

Most of the time.
    Ficheall wrote: »
    So do people who vote for the winners also lose the right to complain about the governments we get? Ought they to, in fact, bear some responsibility and guilt for the actions of the elected?

Not at all. They can complain either way. If the winners don't live up to the reasons you voted for them, then of course you have very right to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I do vote, almost always, but, I believe that a democracy gives you the right to choose and if at election time you have no desire to support any of the candidates before you then you have the democratic right to choose not to vote.

How many people have regretted how they voted when they see how their elected rep has perhaps shamed and disrespected their support.

Why should you vote for someone you do not respect.

Don't get me wrong, we need politicians and we have some fine ones but your vote should have some worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Most of the time.

"Fine Gael all day."
    "Why?"

Then you are consciously opting out of the social contract. Remember with society, terms and conditions apply.

The last time I remember voting just for the sake of it I ended up voting to send Brian Hayes off on a junket to Europe.

Never again.

Then you are consciously opting out of the social contract. Remember with society, terms and conditions apply.

Not if he pays his taxes and obeys the law. There's more to the social contract than voting.

Maybe address the point- like I did?

You have no point. You're here for an argument, otherwise you wouldn't have called me lazy when, actually, all I did was state my opinion.

I'm not offended - I've just seen enough of these threads to know that someone who tries to be offensive straight off the bat is the type of person who will happily go back and forth until Wednesday on this issue. Have a nice night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Donal55 wrote:
    However, come the next election I think i'll just spoil the vote.

What will that achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Most of the time.
    You know all those people who make you feel like giving up voting, the party hacks, the hangers on, the always in the know types, the see the grass growing ones.

They all have one thing in common, they vote.

Voting is your chance to take them out.

I'm sure this was a joke but I did anyway.

Not at all. They can complain either way. If the winners don't live up to the reasons you voted for them, then of course you have very right to complain.
    Right, so these people who have clearly educated themselves on who the better politician is, vote in someone who turns out to be a massive crook, and they can complain about being duped and having made a mistake, but the person who feels they're all crooks and doesn't vote for any of them doesn't have the right to complain that they were correct in their assessment because...?

What if you didn't vote for the winners because you knew for a fact they were talking a load of ****e? If it turns out they were is that not vindication?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Only vote when I think it's important, like for Brexit.

Well, neither of them were for a cause, were they? For change, to escape oppression? To improve quality of life and give everyone a voice? No.

Stupid argument.
    Well, I don't know about the heroin, granted, but I'm pretty sure plenty of people felt they were fighting various wars for a cause, aye.. Which side of your "pathetic, stupid" or "noble, necessary" coin these various causes would fall on, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Most of the time.
    Have only been able to vote once (the last GE) but I was pretty quick to get myself registered for it and I intend to keep voting. It gives me an opportunity to put my money where my mouth is in a sense and instead of just complaining about how politics is done currently I can actually go out and try to change it. Sadly my political preferences aren't that popular here in Tipperary but maybe one-day things will change. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Assuming no party manages to truly impress me between now and the next election I will contact the sitting tds from my constituency and I am going to ask for one contribution they have made to a dail debate that they are proud of.

I will then rank them based on their answers and vote in that order.

If you judge the parties as being much of a muchness then all that remains is to find someone that can raise a useful point in a debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Used to but gave it up.
    marcus001 wrote: »
    has anyone ever strongly considered giving up on the whole thing?

Shur I have to vote for meself now don't I

Assuming no party manages to truly impress me between now and the next election I will contact the sitting tds from my constituency and I am going to ask for one contribution they have made to a dail debate that they are proud of.

I will then rank them based on their answers and vote in that order.

If you judge the parties as being much of a muchness then all that remains is to find someone that can raise a useful point in a debate.

I think you can find any debates or motions a TD proposed on Oireachtas.ie somehow.

Most of the time.
    marcus001 wrote: »
    What if you didn't vote for the winners because you knew for a fact they were talking a load of ****e? If it turns out they were is that not vindication?

What if? What about? Hypothetical. Sorry, better things to do that 'what ifs'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be completely honest. If you're eligible to vote, and you choose not to do so, then you pretty much lose the right to moan if you don't like the result or winner.

No, you have that completely backwards....

If you don't vote then you have EVERY RIGHT to complain when someone YOU DIDN'T vote for utterly destroys the country.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Most of the time.
    dieselbug wrote: »
    I do vote, almost always, but, I believe that a democracy gives you the right to choose and if at election time you have no desire to support any of the candidates before you then you have the democratic right to choose not to vote.

I'm a suspicious person, so think it is a better to show up anyway and spoil your ballot if you can't find it in yourself to vote for least-worst option(s) [probably what it comes down to for people who aren't in the big 2 parties "cheerleader"/"soccer supporter" squads].

What if? What about? Hypothetical. Sorry, better things to do that 'what ifs'.

You post this then a minute later you go and post on year old thread about a new laundromat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Most of the time.
    I always vote, but I wouldn't say I always will. If I feel that no candidate deserves my vote, I reserve the right to spoil it or not vote at all. I drew an ejaculating penis on my ballot paper in 2007, but the returning officer declared it as a valid vote for Dick Roche. :(

You have no point. You're here for an argument, otherwise you wouldn't have called me lazy when, actually, all I did was state my opinion.

I'm not offended - I've just seen enough of these threads to know that someone who tries to be offensive straight off the bat is the type of person who will happily go back and forth until Wednesday on this issue. Have a nice night.

My point is that it's lazy to not inform yourself about the people who are going to shape the society you live in.

A society in which you have the valuable privilege of helping to choose ho runs that society, but opts out and chooses to forego that privilege .

That's not just lazy, but irresponsible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Shocking choice of candidates in my area. Never would vote FF. Hated Haughey. Hate Bertie but what they did should never be forgotten. It will. It has but there is nobody out there to vote for which would be any different the the norm.

I'm no shinner either, couldn't vote for the specially which Adams in charge. Without him, yeah maybe , just to see what they would do in charge.

Probably more of the same which is why if I don't get to vote, I don't sweat about it.

My point is that it's lazy to not inform yourself about the people who are going to shape the society you live in.

A society in which you have the valuable privilege of helping to choose ho runs that society, but opts out and chooses to forego that privilege .

That's not just lazy, but irresponsible .

What changes have the people you responsibly voted for made that the other party would not have, as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I have an interest in politics. I don't vote. I haven't in about ten years. I have never considered any candidate in my constituency to be able to accurately represent me in the Dail.

I can still have an opinion on politics though. If you're voting for the least worst option you're part of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I still intend to vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement